F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First time Clay Bar!
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #23
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM330i View Post
You can also clay bar using your car wash solution for lubrication. I have done this for years...it provides lubrication a lot easier than detail spray.
This is what I do as well. It's fast, efficient, and saves me from having to wash the car a second time to get all the excess clay lubricant off the car before polishing. I'll wash a panel, rinse it off, soap it down again, clay, rinse again and move on. Really makes it go by quickly.

The car wash soap seems to be a far better lubricant compared other products I've tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmart View Post
Do yourself a favor and drop the clay bar and get a speed clay.
Which one do you use? I tried a Nanoskin pad and hated it so much I went back to traditional clay. I'd really like to try out a double sided wash/clay mitt, but don't want to repeat my previous experience.
      08-20-2020, 10:16 PM   #24
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

Car does look good, however 5 hrs? WTH? Usually takes me about 20 min for a full clay bar...If I decide to do a complete in and out detail, 2.5 hrs. max. Car wash soap, does do a better job of lubrication. (I know that I shouldn't have to mention this BUT) Wash car FIRST then rinse, empty out bucket, refill with car wash stuff, then soap a small section, clay bar it, repeat on the next section. When you are done rinse car again...then wax...DO NOT do in direct sunlight, with soap. Dries too quickly. You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #25
CoachMCs
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
Car does look good, however 5 hrs? WTH? Usually takes me about 20 min for a full clay bar...If I decide to do a complete in and out detail, 2.5 hrs. max. Car wash soap, does do a better job of lubrication. (I know that I shouldn't have to mention this BUT) Wash car FIRST then rinse, empty out bucket, refill with car wash stuff, then soap a small section, clay bar it, repeat on the next section. When you are done rinse car again...then wax...DO NOT do in direct sunlight, with soap. Dries too quickly. You're welcome.
5 hours for me was, wash, clay bar, wax, not just clay bar.
Appreciate 0