F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield bulleye/chip from highway rock
ARMA SPEED

01-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
pp.jordan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport Coupe

Windshield bulleye/chip from highway rock

You guys might have heard these kinda story many time but here's mine:

Got a dime size bulleye/chip on my 2015 435i Msport windshield from a highway rock. Dealer asks for ~1600 for replacement, including windshield, rain sensor (why rail sensor?), moulding, sound insulate and everything, and labor. Called Geico but the agent said they can only pay me up to $890 if the dealership does not accepted their payment directly (seriously?? I have comprehensive coverage). I asked how come the dealership won't accept the payment from insurance company and the agent said because the payment is lower than what dealer charges for..... Repair from dealership cost 200 but is free under my insurance policy. I am more in favor of putting everything back as new (replacement) but don't want go third party. What to do? ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Go to a third party--there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to have your dealer do this work. It will be less than the dealer, and your insurance will most likely cover it all, less any deductible that might apply. Glass repair replacement companies replace way more windshields than your BMW dealer does. I used SafeLite on my prior car, with rain sensor, no issues at all. You may be able to get OEM glass too.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
the1isntugly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i Sport Line

This is funny because I just got off the phone with my insurance regarding a bullseye I got over the weekend. I called the dealer, the local glass company and my insurance to see which one is going to be the cheaper route. I suggest you do the same. Just choose which is cheaper of the three of course. OEM windshield is a must.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp.jordan View Post
You guys might have heard these kinda story many time but here's mine:

Got a dime size bulleye/chip on my 2015 435i Msport windshield from a highway rock. Dealer asks for ~1600 for replacement, including windshield, rain sensor (why rail sensor?), moulding, sound insulate and everything, and labor. Called Geico but the agent said they can only pay me up to $890 if the dealership does not accepted their payment directly (seriously?? I have comprehensive coverage). I asked how come the dealership won't accept the payment from insurance company and the agent said because the payment is lower than what dealer charges for..... Repair from dealership cost 200 but is free under my insurance policy. I am more in favor of putting everything back as new (replacement) but don't want go third party. What to do? ...
Why don't you just get the chip repaired? Mine is in the glass shop today for a worse chip than that... As long as it doesn't spread then I'm happy.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Most insurance companies cover chip repairs with no deductible, as that's cheaper than not fixing it right away, having the chip become a crack, and then having to replace the windshield. A glass shop will repair it using the exact same method as your dealer would. OTOH in most states insurance companies are prohibited from forcing you to use non-OEM parts, windshields included.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Why don't you just get the chip repaired? Mine is in the glass shop today for a worse chip than that... As long as it doesn't spread then I'm happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Most insurance companies cover chip repairs with no deductible, as that's cheaper than not fixing it right away, having the chip become a crack, and then having to replace the windshield. A glass shop will repair it using the exact same method as your dealer would. OTOH in most states insurance companies are prohibited from forcing you to use non-OEM parts, windshields included.
+1 - It makes much more sense to have the chip repaired than to compromise the integrity of the windshield installation by having one removed and another one installed. Unless the chip is directly in the driver's line of sight it can be repaired.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-03-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
ill250
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30

I had the same exact bullseye crack happened to me this Sunday. Buy Rain-X windshield repair kit for about $10 at Walmart. I had some leftover from my previous windshield crack and I barely notice the crack after the fix. I should've took some before and after shots.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill250
I had the same exact bullseye crack happened to me this Sunday. Buy Rain-X windshield repair kit for about $10 at Walmart. I had some leftover from my previous windshield crack and I barely notice the crack after the fix. I should've took some before and after shots.
Are those kits easy to use? I've always considered it but don't really trust myself to do it right... the glass shop at least guarantees their repairs and they aren't much more than the kits, but it would be worth investing in if it were simple to use and have the same effectiveness
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Had a similar chip in my windshield, went to the local auto glass shop (at the recommendation of my BMW service advisor) and they filled the hole with a special resin and stabilized it from cracking any further. Unless you look hard, you can't even see the repair work. $100 well spent.

Last edited by Arthurrs; 01-03-2017 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
      01-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
ill250
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Are those kits easy to use? I've always considered it but don't really trust myself to do it right... the glass shop at least guarantees their repairs and they aren't much more than the kits, but it would be worth investing in if it were simple to use and have the same effectiveness
Its very easy to use. It comes with instructions or you can look up how-to vids on youtube. I would highly recommend to try this first before spending hundreds of dollars on a new windshield. I already had 2 cracks within the last 30 days (spider and bullseye crack) and this product is worth every penny.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

The dealer wouldn't even be doing the replacement work themselves. They'd call a 3rd party that charges them $800 then they turn around and charge you $1600. Go through insurance and you get to work directly with the 3rd party instead of paying the dealer markup.

BTW the rain sensor is permanently attached to the windshield as an integral component, so it gets replaced along with the glass.
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
      01-03-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
daryl rsv4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Had Safelite repair a small chip/ crack through my ins. company on my Lexus and couldn't even tell where it was. Less than a week later, it cracked again and I'm in SoCal where it doesn't get that cold. I was disappointed to say the least. Glad it was free..
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

My local glass shop will fill those for $20CAD. It will never be 100%, and you will still see the center of the pit, but it saves the glass.

I'd go aftermarket with glass though. OEM from the dealership is insane. My E90 was $900 OEM, and $300 from aftermarket.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

make sure the thickness of the aftermarket glass is the same as BMW if going aftermarket.
make sure installers are properly certified. windshields are part of the cars safety system and should not be taken lightly. it is part of your roofs integrity and it also holds the airbags in place. if not properly installed the airbags would be useless.
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #15
the1isntugly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i Sport Line

Turns out I'm just going to replace my windshield. For installation and glass from BMW is $600 out the door.
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
      01-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Got a tiny (but deep) chip in my windshield right near the dot matrix around the rear view mirror and took it to Safelite to get repaired. Their method involves injecting the chip with resin and then applying pressure to make sure the resin fills all the voids. The technician told me that there's a small chance that the chip will crack/get worse because of the nature of the repair method, and lo and behold my chip turned into a foot long crack. The technician said the chip must've been really bad to begin with but the cracks didn't manifest themselves until the repair was attempted. Unfortunate but what could I do

My only option after that was to get it replaced and after reading on several windshield replacement threads I specified OE glass (which comes with the BMW logo on it) and was quoted ~$800 including install. The rain sensor actually slides out of a slot in the windshield and is re-used so there shouldn't be an extra cost associated with replacing the sensor. My deductible was $500 so only had to pay that amount, and the job was flawless - could not even tell it was replaced. I've heard of other forum members having issues with their wipers/rain sensors not working properly so make sure the technicians test them for you before they send you on your way.

Long story short - doesn't hurt to get it repaired first as it's usually free, and if it can't be repaired the technician will tell you upfront. Dealer usually just outsources the repairs to a third party anyways so if there's a Safelite near you (which is what my insurance recommended to me) go through them. They'll also come to you at your work/home so that's a plus!
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
      01-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Usually the stone chip repair works. I have had one that it wasn't deep enough for the resin to "glue" the glass back, and it started to crack afterwards.

It is worth a try if you do it as soon as you get the rock.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
mrkwinning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW X5 M Sport

Just got my windshield replace by the dealer with with OEM (BMW Logo by Pilkington). This was replaced by an agreement when I purchased the car (CPO). They first wanted to replace with an aftermarket and told them NO. After some arguments with the sales manager and having to involve some higher level managers, they finally agreed to replace with OEM.

BMW service will order all the parts including the windshield, rain sensors, and all moldings. They then call in a trusted 3rd party auto glass company to do the install. This should only take a few hours at most after all the parts are in.

The car looks great and everything looks brand new. Best part is that it was $0 charge to me and prob $1300+ for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I find that interesting. So a BMW dealership wanted to not install their expensive windshield? Kind of getting the impression they even think they are overpriced!

Kudo's to you though. If it's CPO, then it should be 100% BMW. That is what they say with CPO....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #20
Windshield-Armor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Rock chips are the worst, check out this windshield film https://windshield-armor.com/product/bmw/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #21
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

For what it's worth, State Farm doesn't cover the chip repair anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I love the smell of newbie replies to zombie threads containing links to commercial sites. It smells like ...spam!
Appreciate 3
Wires1645.50