F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intercooler and CP Recommendations
GetBMWParts

06-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Intercooler and CP Recommendations

Hi guys -

I recently had MPPK and MPE installed on my 14 335 xDrive and will be receiving a Dinan Sport tomorrow. I wanted to swap my IC and CP before I install the piggyback and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations? I have an EWG SportLine.
      06-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Using a ER charge pipe and CTS Turbo FMIC on my 2015, both performing flawlessly for the last 15k mi. The upgraded FMIC gave me a noticeable difference with WOT in back to back pulls, there's a lot of logs from others showing the gains with drop in temps. Even if you go with other brands, you'll see an improvement over stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWest View Post
Using a ER charge pipe and CTS Turbo FMIC on my 2015, both performing flawlessly for the last 15k mi. The upgraded FMIC gave me a noticeable difference with WOT in back to back pulls, there's a lot of logs from others showing the gains with drop in temps. Even if you go with other brands, you'll see an improvement over stock.
Awesome thank you.
      06-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Awesome thank you.
I second the ER suggestion. I put one on mine and it fit perfectly. I went with an Active Autowerks intercooler and that was also an easy install and perfect fitment.

For charge pipes, it seems that ER is the gold standard according to other members' experiences.

When it comes to the FMIC, is seems that any one will do as long as it's not a $200 eBay brand. I just went with the best price among a hand full of options. Wagner, ER, AA, Dinan, and VRSF were the contenders.
      06-24-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

i went with er fmic and cp. but if i had to do it again it'd be wagner comp 2 fmic instead

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

A bit off topic ...

What is the CP design on B58 engines? Better than N55?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome thank you.
I second the ER suggestion. I put one on mine and it fit perfectly. I went with an Active Autowerks intercooler and that was also an easy install and perfect fitment.

For charge pipes, it seems that ER is the gold standard according to other members' experiences.

When it comes to the FMIC, is seems that any one will do as long as it's not a $200 eBay brand. I just went with the best price among a hand full of options. Wagner, ER, AA, Dinan, and VRSF were the contenders.
Explain to us why your FMIC choice was better than the $200 eBay option.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome thank you.

Just do a search on it.
      06-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome thank you.

Just do a search on it.
I have it. And I have researched it extensively before purchase. Excellent build quality, perfect fitment and it works.

What are we missing besides a fancy brand name?

https://scoutofmind.com/f30-f32-n55-...cooler-review/

You can also search this forum for more positive reviews on this product. Be careful reading reviews from people selling the brand name, their incentives are not exactly aligned with the end user!

Only problem is... they are tough to find at the moment because they have all been snatched up!

If having a brand name in your signature is really important to you, I agree this is probably not the best choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
For the record, I made ZERO modification to my unit. PERFECT FITMENT.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome thank you.

Just do a search on it.
I have it. And I have researched it extensively before purchase. Excellent build quality, perfect fitment and it works.

You can also search this forum for more positive reviews on this product. Be careful reading reviews from people selling the brand name, their incentives are not exactly aligned with the end user!

Only problem is... they are tough to find at the moment because they have all been snatched up!

If having a brand name in your signature is really important to you, I agree this is probably not the best choice.
I know you have it. I know you paid $180 for it. But I don't care. That was my opinion, which I am entitled to. Move on, please.

Edit. Nobody said anything about poor fitment or necessary modification.
      06-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #12
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Awesome thank you.

Just do a search on it.

I know you have it. I know you paid $180 for it. But I don't care. That was my opinion, which I am entitled to. Move on, please.
Fair enough. Moving on. I dont know that theres a right or wrong answer, just sharing experiences for OP.

I would not recommend this to someone if I had a bad experience. Thats all Im saying.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #13
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

I appreciate everyone's opinion, honestly. I welcome all experiences and opinions. For me there's no right or wrong, the more information the better. It makes making a decision easier for me and everyone who may be in the same situation so I appreciate all of you
      06-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #14
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
This is all you need unless your going to do some hard tracking in hot heat and race competitively ... Phoenix FMIC... VRSF ChargePipe...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
This is all you need unless your going to do some hard tracking in hot heat and race competitively ... Phoenix FMIC... VRSF ChargePipe...
Good fitment between these two?
      06-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #16
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I put black anodized fmic and charge pipes (both sides) from ER on my F30 335. I already had a Dinan cae, full Akra exhaust and M Performance Power Kit at that time. To tell the truth I think the ER fmic was too large for this setup. I actually lost low end power.

Because of this (and my addiction to modifying cars) I brought it over to Enzo to layer a custom tune onto the Power Kit and add a catless downpipe. This made all the difference. Power at all rpm is now markedly better than it ever was. My only regret is now I'm spoiled. The car runs like a champ!

The moral of the story is be careful you don't put too large of an intake tract on your little oem charging system, or you may need to improve that too.

06-24-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good fitment between these two?
I'll find out Thursday when I take my car to the BMW dealer to have them install it... and I get a loaner...

but after about a year of reading the forums I haven't read one single issue of that combo not working together... So we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 07:43 PM   #18
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The moral of the story is be careful you don't put too large of an intake tract on your little oem charging system, or you may need to improve that too.
Agreed... people don't understand that everything always has to match... can't tell you how many times at the drag strip somebody buys a new something and not the supporting items that match it and they wonder why they are running slower times...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #19
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I put black anodized fmic and charge pipes (both sides) from ER on my F30 335. I already had a Dinan cae, full Akra exhaust and M Performance Power Kit at that time. To tell the truth I think the ER fmic was too large for this setup. I actually lost low end power.

Because of this (and my addiction to modifying cars) I brought it over to Enzo to layer a custom tune onto the Power Kit and add a catless downpipe. This made all the difference. Power at all rpm is now markedly better than it ever was. My only regret is now I'm spoiled. The car runs like a champ!

Wow you can actually modify the MPPK programming?

BTW your 335 sounds amazing!
      06-24-2018, 08:20 PM   #20
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Quote:

Not exactly. The custom tune just works from a higher starting point when the car already has the factory tune.
      06-24-2018, 08:23 PM   #21
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not exactly. The custom tune just works from a higher starting point when the car already has the factory tune.
Ah OK that makes sense.

So what would you recommend on a CP and IC combo based on your experience with the car?
      06-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #22
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Here's your options...

Stock
Mppk or JB+
Mppk + "JB+" (you can only stack onto mppk, you can't custom tune it, from my understanding a custom tune overrides it really no need to even get Mppk unless your worried about warranty)
JB4
MHD or BM3 etc...

P.s. that video is nice! sounded Awesome when shifting gears!

Last edited by FastF30; 06-24-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0