F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New issues with my 340I along with check engine light
proTUNING Freaks

11-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

New issues with my 340I along with check engine light

Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster here and I was looking if I could get any advice about recent issues I’ve been having with my 2016 340I. Currently running a agency power intake, evolution racewerks high flow downpipe and MHD stage 2 91 octane, and have used the Stage 2 E30 Map a few times as well.

Car has been running smoothly and strong on stage 2, especially on E30 MHD but been having some recent problems the last few days. Recent problems I’ve been having are the pops are completely gone, even on aggressive setting the pops are just not there anymore and all I get is burbles or sounds like some gunk coming out in replace of pops. Admittedly I ran em on high with the high flow cats and popped it a lot. Also, the gear switches have been a little more rough than usual occasionally and have gotten knock I could feel badly the other day. Feels like my car is slower and the boost is under performing with about a 15-18 PSI average when it usually pulls between 19-22. Coincidentally, when the pops started to disappear, the intake noise increased seems like but that could be in my head. Today I got a check engine light and got this error message here.

Codes
“180001 - Catalytic converter: Effociency below limit value.”
“CBD309 - No message ( Status of climate air distribution on drivers side, 0x2E6), receiver DME2, transmitter IHKA”

If anyone could help me I would gladly appreciate it as this is worrisome
For me. I’m thinking the pops might have melted some of the high flow cats? Which believes me why I get the first error message but idk what the second one means.

TLDR: last few days car has recently been feeling slower, boosting few less PSI than normal, pops don’t work anymore, gear shifts occasionally rougher, and check engine light this morning with codes listed above.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #2
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone?
Asked MHD and they don’t even know what the second error code is. Also maybe an oil change and spark plug change would help my occasional rough gear shift? Especially since running E30 occasionaly.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:34 AM   #3
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Second error sounds unrelated to your drivetrain issues. If you check the codes in ISTA it will tell you the mileage at which the error occurred.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster here and I was looking if I could get any advice about recent issues I’ve been having with my 2016 340I. Currently running a agency power intake, evolution racewerks high flow downpipe and MHD stage 2 91 octane, and have used the Stage 2 E30 Map a few times as well.

Car has been running smoothly and strong on stage 2, especially on E30 MHD but been having some recent problems the last few days. Recent problems I’ve been having are the pops are completely gone, even on aggressive setting the pops are just not there anymore and all I get is burbles or sounds like some gunk coming out in replace of pops. Admittedly I ran em on high with the high flow cats and popped it a lot. Also, the gear switches have been a little more rough than usual occasionally and have gotten knock I could feel badly the other day. Feels like my car is slower and the boost is under performing with about a 15-18 PSI average when it usually pulls between 19-22. Coincidentally, when the pops started to disappear, the intake noise increased seems like but that could be in my head. Today I got a check engine light and got this error message here.

Codes
“180001 - Catalytic converter: Effociency below limit value.”
“CBD309 - No message ( Status of climate air distribution on drivers side, 0x2E6), receiver DME2, transmitter IHKA”

If anyone could help me I would gladly appreciate it as this is worrisome
For me. I’m thinking the pops might have melted some of the high flow cats? Which believes me why I get the first error message but idk what the second one means.

TLDR: last few days car has recently been feeling slower, boosting few less PSI than normal, pops don’t work anymore, gear shifts occasionally rougher, and check engine light this morning with codes listed above.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Oxygen sensor or the high flow cat is burned out. Go catless.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Could be the intake.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #6
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

You should not be running aggressive burbles if you have a cat. Possibly ruined that downpipe or O2 components. I would flash to stock or at least stage 1 until you get this sorted out, your car does not sound happy with the current map right now. Also as stated above the intake can cause sporadic issues.

Also, this should've been posted in the B58 section of the forums.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
neonnblack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT/e46 330xi

Raw fuel igniting in the exhaust system is where your (bad) pops come from. Raw fuel absolutely destroys catalytic converters in very short order.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonnblack View Post
Raw fuel igniting in the exhaust system is where your (bad) pops come from. Raw fuel absolutely destroys catalytic converters in very short order.
The mppsk doesn't void warranty and has its own warranty and the pops and bangs can sound like gunshots and echo off walls and overpasses. Somehow it does this without voiding emissions warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
The mppsk doesn't void warranty and has its own warranty and the pops and bangs can sound like gunshots and echo off walls and overpasses. Somehow it does this without voiding emissions warranty.
I think MHD and Bootmod3 lets you turn up the burbles and all of that extra fuel igniting in the exhaust is probably why his cat or sensor is gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone. The performance issue and loud intake was due to a loose MAF sensor. After securing it tight again performance came back, got quieter (did enjoy it loud though &#128579 and everything is running smoothly again. I believe my second code is due to my air vents not working on one side which has been fixed under warranty but looks like I got to go back again.

As for the pops that’s still a mystery and I hope I didn’t destroy the O2 sensor. I might take a look at my downpipe and if the cats are screwed what do you guys think of gutting the cat and going catless? Rather than buying another ER catless downpipe for 400
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also, interestingly enough when I did run E30 my pops were more intense, so I tried to run E30 again to see if it would bring the pops back. It did, to an extent, then went back to normal. Like some of you guys said, hopefully this is just a case of melted cats and not the O2 sensor as I miss my gunshots 🙃
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #12
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

tbh i wouldnt be surprised if the cat is trash, be careful, iv seen cats collapse and wedge in the exhaust system and create so much back pressure stem seals have been blown out...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:31 PM   #13
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
tbh i wouldnt be surprised if the cat is trash, be careful, iv seen cats collapse and wedge in the exhaust system and create so much back pressure stem seals have been blown out...
Yeah that’s what i was worried about. Didn’t want my cats to melt and fly into my exhaust... Maybe it’s a good idea to just gut my cats then so I don’t have to worry about that? Maybe getting a new axle back exhaust would help?
Appreciate 0