F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B16 PSS10 Standard Brief Review
Studio RSR

11-13-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Bilstein B16 PSS10 Standard Brief Review

Hello folks, I wanted to post a brief feedback for the Bilstein B16 Standard coilovers for RWD. I have seen few reviews for the Comfort version but not many for the Standard. I chose the Standard over the Comfort for the ability to lower 30-50mm vs. 10-30mm on the Comfort. The shorter springs make them a bit firmer ride at the same damper settings, based on what I was told.

Based on available forum reviews, I set the dampers to 4 all around. I believe this is the best damper setting for daily driving. In comparison to the M-Sport 704 springs, the damping is definitely firmer at 4. But it is not harsh at all nor there is a 'crash' sensation over bumps and holes (even compared to the softer M-Sport). Going over humps in high speed, the car does not delay in coming down from humps. It sticks to the ground, therefore there is no longer 'rollercoaster' type of feeling of coming down from the high speed humps, which sometimes makes the car feel unstable. There is ever so slight body roll that I can sense when tossing into a corner at 4, but I feel as though that I have more control during the cornering, opposed to the hefty weight transfer feeling from the M-Sport springs.

I had KW V1 in my previous e90, and I can feel the difference in ride quality. Perhaps it is different in the F30, but the KW V1 in the e90 had a harsher feel and it 'crashed' over bumps (albeit no damper settings). I had to send for rebuild twice on my KW V1, in around 30k mile intervals. Hopefully the Bilsteins will not need rebuilding.

One thing I noticed right after the install is that the car's handling feels more numb albelt the firmness of the suspension. The dullness of the rubber bushings on the control arms can be felt. My next upgrade will be the VAC monoballs for both upper and lower control arms. I am hoping this will alleviate the numb feeling.

I purchased from X-ph and installed at Speedlogic in Fullerton. Great pricing and service from both as always!

12mm & 15mm spacers:
Name:  PXL_20211113_204738603_2.jpg
Views: 2742
Size:  513.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20211113_205602518.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  638.9 KB

Name:  PXL_20211113_205027496.PORTRAIT_2.jpg
Views: 2663
Size:  362.6 KB

Name:  PXL_20211113_205137842.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  264.2 KB

Name:  PXL_20211113_205122888.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  211.4 KB

Name:  PXL_20211109_220019980.jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  266.0 KB

Name:  PXL_20211109_221418734.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  234.4 KB

Alignment numbers:
Name:  Alignment_11012021_1.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  144.0 KB

Last edited by hoonywise; 11-13-2021 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 8
cfm56d7b5876.00
gds4.50
midxotic198.50
Stampe17.50
otay826.00
deathking134.50
      11-13-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Nice review. The car looks great!
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Thanks for a nice review! I feel similar about the xDrive version on my car. I had the KW V3 on my car. I like them, rode well, smooth over small bumps and didn't crash over medium to larger bumps, just absorbed and dampened them out. Felt firm, but not harsh on street with very little body roll. The double adjustable was great for dialing them in on track. But they were way to soft and had a lot of body roll on track. I had them at full stiff and it still wasn't even close to enough for the 200tw tire category on track. Had them for something like 35-40k miles, not sure exactly because I'm notorious for not keeping track of the mileage I do things at. Then I had to take them off because they were in desperate need of a rebuild. Needed something so I got the Bilstein B16 pss10 standard as well. The reasons I got them were because they were available and I needed something quick and I was hoping they'd perform better on track. Haven't tracked it yet so can't comment on that.
Regarding the mono balls, that'll be a huge difference once you get them. Especially if you combine them with a camber plate. You'll start being able to actually feel what is going on with your front tires. (Although tire choice influences that a lot as well) The downside is the rear feels like a big elastic band once the front is all tight. 😂
Enjoy your new suspension!
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
      11-17-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Thanks for a nice review! I feel similar about the xDrive version on my car. I had the KW V3 on my car. I like them, rode well, smooth over small bumps and didn't crash over medium to larger bumps, just absorbed and dampened them out. Felt firm, but not harsh on street with very little body roll. The double adjustable was great for dialing them in on track. But they were way to soft and had a lot of body roll on track. I had them at full stiff and it still wasn't even close to enough for the 200tw tire category on track. Had them for something like 35-40k miles, not sure exactly because I'm notorious for not keeping track of the mileage I do things at. Then I had to take them off because they were in desperate need of a rebuild. Needed something so I got the Bilstein B16 pss10 standard as well. The reasons I got them were because they were available and I needed something quick and I was hoping they'd perform better on track. Haven't tracked it yet so can't comment on that.
Regarding the mono balls, that'll be a huge difference once you get them. Especially if you combine them with a camber plate. You'll start being able to actually feel what is going on with your front tires. (Although tire choice influences that a lot as well) The downside is the rear feels like a big elastic band once the front is all tight. 😂
The Bilstein B16's have an emphasis on very firm springs especially in the front. So typically the stock front sway bar is fine. But the rear sway could use an upgrade to a much stronger model such as the H&R 20mm rear bar. That may help the issue that you described
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks great!!

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #6
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The Bilstein B16's have an emphasis on very firm springs especially in the front. So typically the stock front sway bar is fine. But the rear sway could use an upgrade to a much stronger model such as the H&R 20mm rear bar. That may help the issue that you described
Will firming up the rear damper settings only make the car feel more dialed in? Perhaps F:4 R:5?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise View Post
Quote:
Will firming up the rear damper settings only make the car feel more dialed in? Perhaps F:4 R:5?
For that type of question, I highly recommend reading posts by FaRKle! He is the suspension guru.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I actually like that the front is more stiff in the B16. I've only been able to do a few thousand street miles, but the little playing around I've done it seems the car has Mitch better turn in and increased front grip through the corner. This seems to make the car feel more balanced.
I do have sway bar upgrades waiting to go in. I'm doing the h&r front (one of 2 options for xDrive) and factory 15mm rear. I want to keep rear traction high and prefer to balance the car with trail breaking in the track. If the rear bar turns out not to be enough, I'll figure out an upgrade based on how it feels once I've had enough time on track with the setup. But it probably won't be until next year sometime at this point. Too many things in life keeping me from it for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I actually like that the front is more stiff in the B16. I've only been able to do a few thousand street miles, but the little playing around I've done it seems the car has Mitch better turn in and increased front grip through the corner. This seems to make the car feel more balanced.
I do have sway bar upgrades waiting to go in. I'm doing the h&r front (one of 2 options for xDrive) and factory 15mm rear. I want to keep rear traction high and prefer to balance the car with trail breaking in the track. If the rear bar turns out not to be enough, I'll figure out an upgrade based on how it feels once I've had enough time on track with the setup. But it probably won't be until next year sometime at this point. Too many things in life keeping me from it for the time being.
Sounds like you are having fun!
FYI- FaRKle is the one who mentioned that tidbit in conversation. We were talking about a buddy's car that had B16's. He said that the B16 spring specs in the front were so high that he would leave the stock front bar as is. But that the B16 spring set would cause the rear to need a higher sway in the 18-20mm range. I've had good luck with the H&R rear 20mm on my car. Obviously you know your car and how you want to set it up. Just passing that along.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #10
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like you are having fun!
FYI- FaRKle is the one who mentioned that tidbit in conversation. We were talking about a buddy's car that had B16's. He said that the B16 spring specs in the front were so high that he would leave the stock front bar as is. But that the B16 spring set would cause the rear to need a higher sway in the 18-20mm range. I've had good luck with the H&R rear 20mm on my car. Obviously you know your car and how you want to set it up. Just passing that along.
Appreciate it. Although I've left the KW v3 springs in the rear for the time being. I think they're slightly more stiff than the Bilstein B16 rear springs, but I could be wrong. Eventually I'm going to so my own custom springs and rates. But I may save that for if/when I change the dampers, again. 😆
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      10-15-2022, 02:56 AM   #11
Stampe
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 lci 340i

Hi hoonywise

Thank you for your good post. i have the same 340i rdw with m sport 704 springs. How much is yours lowered compared to the 704 and how did you set this before assembly. ? . I also want drivability more than looks. I think I can see yours is not lowered to max.

I am just to pull the tricker on B16 over the kw v2/v3. because of easy ajustment on the b16 as i see it. and a bit lower price ?

Have you tried to go harden than 4 for the track or road , and what did you feel

Thanks

Last edited by Stampe; 10-15-2022 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampe View Post
Hi hoonywise

Thank you for your good post. i have the same 340i rdw with m sport 704 springs. How much is yours lowered compared to the 704 and how did you set this before assembly. ? . I also want drivability more than looks. I think I can see yours is not lowered to max.

I am just to pull the tricker on B16 over the kw v2/v3. because of easy ajustment on the b16 as i see it. and a bit lower price ?

Have you tried to go harden than 4 for the track or road , and what did you feel

Thanks
Hi there! I don't exactly remember how much higher the M-Sport springs were compared to the B16. But when I was shopping around, I specifically wanted to buy the normal B16 vs. the Comfort B16 as the Comfort version's maximum drop looked not too much different from the M-Sport. I have not tracked the car, but I did try the shocks up to 7 and they were pretty stiff. So I set them back to 4, which I think is perfect for daily (perhaps 5 for areas with better roads, but I am in CA). I have attached some pictures with a ruler so that you can see the gaps. As far as the pricing, I think most of the vendors share the same MSRP, but I bought mine from X-Ph as they sometimes have 10% off coupons available (and no tax as they are in NV).

I hope this helps!

Front
Name:  PXL_20221016_170516136_F.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  186.5 KB

Rear
Name:  PXL_20221016_170441502_R.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  219.4 KB
Appreciate 1
Stampe17.50