F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Hit a motorcyclist but he drove off?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Hit a motorcyclist but he drove off?

Hi

I just hit a motorcyclist, well technically he hit me as it was two lanes on two lanes off roundabout. I was on the inside and half way round he just veers into my lane and clips my car. He hits the deck so I pull over but he (and the convoy of young lads he was with) all drive off.

Checked my dash cam footage and it’s clearly his fault but he didn’t have a number plate and The others in his convoy didn’t seem to either, assuming no insurance hence the drive off.

Called 101 and they said to report it online but unlikely much will be done if there was no number plate.

Should I tell my insurance? Normally I wouldn’t bother as I’m not claiming but if he somehow decides to log an injury claim against me later I don’t want be being a drama. I suspect nothing will come of it as my money is on no insurance, although it was a new ish bike I think

Video here

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #2
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

So report online and tell the insurance - you suspect you were hit by an uninsured driver. Wont do any harm and you are then covered against any funny business. Bike rider has already committed an offence - failing to stop and swap details.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

I can guarantee you 100% he won't be making a claim against you!
Appreciate 1
BIFCAIDS857.00
      11-28-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
I can guarantee you 100% he won't be making a claim against you!
Yeah I don’t think they will but I just don’t want to fall foul of the law if something comes back later on. Never claimed on car insurance and don’t plan to start now, damage on ours looks about £300 or so.

Will report to police and then just move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Probably fair to say he’s not insured at the very least.

I’d report it to the police just to cover your own back. Can be done online and the police will do bugger all other than to tell you the case is closed.
      11-29-2021, 03:56 AM   #6
Mervo
Australia
Rep
Drives: M435i 2016

Definitely advise your insurance company, in detail. His view of the world may change in coming months. Protect yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #7
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Definitely advise your insurance company, and get a crime reference no.

Luckily he wont be hurt - apart from ego…. Any damage to your car?

Also can your get a polarising lens for your camera - makes a big difference to sun and headlight glare.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:28 AM   #8
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Stolen bikes... Yeah, he's going to think about claiming.
Attached Images

11-29-2021, 04:45 AM   #9
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post

Luckily he wont be hurt - apart from ego…. Any damage to your car?
Unfortunately yes, will be getting a quote today but I am guessing £300-£400 ish:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:02 AM   #10
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post

Luckily he wont be hurt - apart from ego….
Shame.
People like that are the reason the country is as it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #11
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you have uninsured driver cover on your insurance? If so it should pay for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
Do you have uninsured driver cover on your insurance? If so it should pay for that.
I do but its not quite as simple as that, the person didn’t stop and they had not Reg plate on their bike so I can’t claim via this route.

Plus it would cost me more in additional premiums over 5 years of having to declare a non fault accident than to get the repair done myself.

Insurance isn’t worth claiming unless its thousands of pounds of damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BIFCAIDS857.00
      11-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #13
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
I do but its not quite as simple as that, the person didn’t stop and they had not Reg plate on their bike so I can’t claim via this route.

Plus it would cost me more in additional premiums over 5 years of having to declare a non fault accident than to get the repair done myself.

Well that's complete rubbish then isn't it?! I won't get too concerned about not having uninsured driver cover. The chances that they are going to give their name and address rather than just drive off seems slim!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #14
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Aren’t you supposed to declare the accident to your insurance anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:31 AM   #15
BIFCAIDS
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Quote:

Aren’t you supposed to declare the accident to your insurance anyway.
How would they ever know?
      11-30-2021, 03:14 AM   #16
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIFCAIDS View Post
Cross reference with the police report?
Video posted on the internet?

I’m not the insurance police, just answering the question do you have to tell your insurance- yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:19 AM   #17
scousefly
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 5 Series & G01 X3 M

Garage List
Should

Have driven into him again to make sure he stayed put ...........Joking

But he's a scrote so they seem to bounce
Appreciate 1
BIFCAIDS857.00
      11-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #18
BIFCAIDS
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Quote:
Cross reference with the police report?
Video posted on the internet?

I’m not the insurance police, just answering the question do you have to tell your insurance- yes.
I don't believe the OP has told the police(prior to me replying), his user name isn't his name and he also hasn't stated where it happened.

I wasn't being a tw@, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Even if he had told the police, do you seriously think they're going to somehow find out who his insurance company are and follow it up. They couldn't be arsed to prosecute someone who hit me and drove off, after providing them with reg and a witness... "not a serious enough crime", AKA f**k off.

OP you've knocked a little shit off a bike, who shouldn't have been on the road, he WON'T have had insurance, highlighly likely didn't have a licence and the bike will have been stolen, I mean what other reason would you ride in a group of 5 or 6 with no licence plates on?

Two wrongs don't make a right, but christ you're talking about reporting something for absolute zero benefit to anybody. You're premium goes up for just reporting it, believe me I know and you're double out of pocket. Paying for the damage and then renewal time.

Then again it's not my wallet, crack on. At least it might give you some solice at night.
      11-30-2021, 07:01 AM   #19
Pentland
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe the OP has told the police(prior to me replying), his user name isn't his name and he also hasn't stated where it happened.

I wasn't being a tw@, I'm just pointing out the obvious. Even if he had told the police, do you seriously think they're going to somehow find out who his insurance company are and follow it up. They couldn't be arsed to prosecute someone who hit me and drove off, after providing them with reg and a witness... "not a serious enough crime", AKA f**k off.

OP you've knocked a little shit off a bike, who shouldn't have been on the road, he WON'T have had insurance, highlighly likely didn't have a licence and the bike will have been stolen, I mean what other reason would you ride in a group of 5 or 6 with no licence plates on?

Two wrongs don't make a right, but christ you're talking about reporting something for absolute zero benefit to anybody. You're premium goes up for just reporting it, believe me I know and you're double out of pocket. Paying for the damage and then renewal time.

Then again it's not my wallet, crack on. At least it might give you some solice at night.
Don’t know why you are ranting at me. I don’t make nor enforce the rules.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:16 AM   #20
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Personally i wouldn't report this to my insurance company either, as Bifcaids says there will only be one loser, you !, even if you report a non fault accident, your premium is still likely to go up, simply because you have reported an accident. It's just a case of get it repaired and move on.
And a message to all of us, if you see a bunch of motorcyclists and more so if you are lucky to spot they have no rear number plates, hold back, we can all learn a valuable lesson.
Appreciate 3
MY340i719.50
BIFCAIDS857.00
adam.b189.00
      11-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #21
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

I reported an attempted "crash for cash" that my wife was involved in.
Woman in the car in front slammed all on for no reason at all, wifey hit the anchors and stopped just in time. Woman said she'd dropped her phone and panicked.
Thing is, our dashcam caught it all. You can clearly see her look in the mirror right before she brakes, no sign of a mobile phone and she's not looking down or anything, just slams all on.

So I download the footage and send it to the insurance company with a nice long email explaining exactly what happened, clearly showing her registration number and also that there was no contact and therefore no claim to make.
I then got a call from them thanking me for the footage and they're going to flag her registration to other insurance companies etc and just confirming there was definitely no impact and no damage to either car.

Next time I go to insure the car the premium is up by £80 because I have reported "an incident" and it's logged on the central computer so no matter which company I try to go with it then flags up and the premium rises.
Not an ACCIDENT, a bloody INCIDENT.
Moral of the story: don't tell the buggers anything that they're not going to find out about any other way.
BIFCAIDS857.00
adam.b189.00
onstat89.50
APJ245.00
      12-01-2021, 01:39 AM   #22
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep

I have reported to the Police as legally I am required to.

I won't be reporting to my insurance company.

You could see from a distance they were driving like morons, all turning round to have a chat whilst approaching the roundabout, I only moved out to avoid them...although that didn't go to plan!

I could have held back and that was my initial plan but as they were all driving slowly and all over the place, I figured I could be stuck behind them for ages and eventually would have needed to overtake anyway.
Appreciate 0