F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > I'm never waxing my car again
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
Ceramic coating is the only way to go. Its so much easier to apply than wax, lasts longer, looks better, and provides more protection. I'm seriously impressed with the results and I don't think I'll ever go back to wax.

Heres what I did to prep:
1. Wash - 2 bucket method
2. Claybar
3. Polish with Griots Garage 6" random orbital & orange correcting pad. Used plain old Meguiars polish.
4. Wash again to remove any remaining polish.
5. Dried car with Adams double soft microfiber drying towels (these are awesome).
6. Applied generous amount of ceramic coating panel by panel, waited a few minutes, and wiped off residue with microfiber towels. Stupidly easy.

(Yes I realize there's a scratch in this picture. Its too deep to polish out, but you get the idea heh.)

I just sprayed the car off for the first time after ceramic coating last week and I've never seen the water bead the way it does with ceramic coat. It is just like a new ceramic cooking pan, nothing sticks!

This is the kit I used (CarPro cQuarts):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, Reg. Did you apply the Ceramic in sunlight, shade, in-garage?
      08-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #24
finalfantasyfan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i, X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2003 BMW Z4  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2008 Acura MDX  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh59 View Post
Here's my experience with coatings, and this is coming from someone who used to feel the exact same way about ceramic coatings as you and others have expressed. In fact I thought I was wasting $100+ and a day of my time to apply one on my car, but as it turned out I couldn't have been more wrong.

First, that's true regarding scratch resistance, but most of the normal, unavoidable, everyday type of "scratches" will be on the coating, not your paint. Typical polishing will remove a consumer grade coating, or what's left of it, so you would only have to do that once every two years or longer.

The new versions of these coatings are actually easier to apply than any wax or sealant (except the spray on/wipe off varieties). The additional gloss is very noticeable, even on a lighter color like the platinum bronze on mine. You can really "feel" the coating when you wash the car and it makes normal maintenance much, much easier. And the hydrophobic properties are exceptional.

The only real negative I can see - and it's a significant one - is the time it takes to do it right. You really have to make sure the paint is surgically clean before applying it, and that means wash/decontaminate/prep/polish/prep again/apply which takes a great deal of time to do, and you can't skip any of those steps. Plus most folks don't have the time, tools, or products to do the job.

The only other mildly potential negative is you do have to apply a booster or Si02 sealant on a somewhat regular basis as all the coating mfgs recommend this practice. I enjoy doing this so it's not a negative for me.

Having said all that, they're not for everyone. For someone who regularly uses a car wash and is going to continue to do so, they make no sense at all because the car wash will quickly undo what I spent 8-12+ hours doing. So for these folks a thorough cleaning plus wax/sealant in the spring & fall is a much better value. But if you're like me and would never, ever, take your car through a car wash; enjoy washing and maintaining your cars yourself or have them professionally detailed; and place value in the additional benefits a coating offers, then they might make a great deal of sense.

Btw, how do you like your X3 M40i?
I like my M40i very much .

The hydrophobic properties might be better on ceramic coating but for me I don't see significant benefit. Using sealant regularly will achieve very similar result. Dirt will still accumulate on the surface regardless what professional grade coating you have. The negative of ceramic coating is not able to easy "reset" using DA polishing. If I have scratches on clear coat, I can easily polish it and reset my paint surface. For me, I do 2 buckets cash wash every week or two, apply sealant(multiple layers) every 6 months and do paint repair/DA polish every year. With ceramic coating, you need to use very aggressive pad and polish to cut through it. It will be tough to resurface the coating because of its hardness. And it is not cheap to reapply ceramic coating after each repair. Again, no matter how hard it is, it will has scratches eventually.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #25
Regulator
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34dean View Post
Thank you, Reg. Did you apply the Ceramic in sunlight, shade, in-garage?
I applied it in a garage.

Quick update: After about 3 washes since ceramic coating and the water still beads like crazy. Still looks freshly polished too so its protecting as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
Sarahaw
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series

Awesome results there
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
I applied it in a garage.

Quick update: After about 3 washes since ceramic coating and the water still beads like crazy. Still looks freshly polished too so its protecting as well.
To maintain the coating, you should add CarPro Reset to your regimen. I'm also using CarPro Reload on top of the coating, but another member showed insane results with CarPro Gliss.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #28
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
To maintain the coating, you should add CarPro Reset to your regimen. I'm also using CarPro Reload on top of the coating, but another member showed insane results with CarPro Gliss.
Where does it end!?!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      08-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
I also use Reset as it is a safe PH balanced soap to wash the car with after it is coated. I hit it with Reload every 6 months or so.

I haven't tried Gliss but also heard great things.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

To present a counter argument

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #31
Nguyen2fold
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
To present a counter argument

92 cents for a pound of sio2 powder.!!! Lol this guy is too funny.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #32
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucheli View Post
Coatings are overrated. I would never put a coat on my car. I can get the same protection with a polymer sealer and I can get it off if I need to polish my car.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #33
arivera5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 328i M-Sport EBII

Quote:
Here's a picture I took today:
What is that front lip you have on there? Have any other pics of it?

Also might give that ceramic coating a try, it looks amazing

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #34
Regulator
Private
Rep
Drives: 15' 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivera5 View Post
What is that front lip you have on there? Have any other pics of it?

Also might give that ceramic coating a try, it looks amazing

Thanks!
Its a replica msport lip from ebay. It came painted and its been hanging in there for almost a year. I think I bought it from Ikon but my purchase history doesn't show it anymore.

I'm still impressed with the ceramic all this time later. I just sprayed it off today and the paint still feels/looks great.
Appreciate 0