F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
ARMA SPEED

12-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #265
madmunky
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Anyone having issues with the Unichip box and the iPhone XS Max? Since I got my iPhone XS Max its constantly disconnecting or really laggy to connect (renders around 1fps if I'm lucky or hangs on a black screen) after around 10-20 minutes it starts to work fine and I won't have any issue but can't work out why it does this, it was always fine on my iPhone 7 Plus. Will try a phone factory reset if I'm the only person getting this.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #266
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
Anyone having issues with the Unichip box and the iPhone XS Max? Since I got my iPhone XS Max its constantly disconnecting or really laggy to connect (renders around 1fps if I'm lucky or hangs on a black screen) after around 10-20 minutes it starts to work fine and I won't have any issue but can't work out why it does this, it was always fine on my iPhone 7 Plus. Will try a phone factory reset if I'm the only person getting this.
Sorry. I’m on an iPhone X. I don’t have these issues. Perhaps pop into a BMW dealship and try your phone on a factory BMW CarPlay just in case it’s your device.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 01:19 AM   #267
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Have only used the unichip with xs max and haven’t had any issues like you’re describing. Reset should do the trick. I’ve recently had to replace my xs max with a replacement ubder warranty and noticed no differs whatsoever regarding CarPlay performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:16 PM   #268
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 V8 2013

Quote:
Im guessing you already did this, but the cable DOES matter. Id suggest the Anker $12 cables on Amazon. MUST be MFi certified. I had problems w/ a standard cable, then switched to this & the speed & throughput all got perfect.

Keep in mind, its basically high data streaming thats happening, as the phone does all the work your head unit is just displaying graphics (essentially).
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #269
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog99 View Post
Im guessing you already did this, but the cable DOES matter. Id suggest the Anker $12 cables on Amazon. MUST be MFi certified. I had problems w/ a standard cable, then switched to this & the speed & throughput all got perfect.

Keep in mind, its basically high data streaming thats happening, as the phone does all the work your head unit is just displaying graphics (essentially).
Thanks this was actually the issue, I was using an official apple cable and swapped to another un-official spare I had originally used and stopped for some reason but now everything is working fine again.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #270
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
Does anybody know if the wireless version is out yet ?
I've chatted today with unique-ad and they told me that they have it ready and will put it on sale later this week or early next week!

(they said it will support my car, bmw f30 2015 with nbt 6.5 inch, so It should support 3/4 series with nbt)
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      01-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #271
madmunky
Private
Rep

Has anyone got a reverse camera connected to their Unichip box, if so can they post a picture? My guidelines a really skinny and in the middle of the screen (will post a pic) wondered if that's normal or a way to fix it...

Last edited by madmunky; 01-09-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #272
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
I've chatted today with unique-ad and they told me that they have it ready and will put it on sale later this week or early next week!

(they said it will support my car, bmw f30 2015 with nbt 6.5 inch, so It should support 3/4 series with nbt)
This is great news! I've got their wired version and very happy with it, we just need full wide screen support now!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #273
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:

Don't get your hopes up, you'll get a different answer depending on who you talk to. I talked to them back in October and was told it would be ready by November. When I checked back in November I was told they have no idea when it will be released. I just chatted with them online now and was once again told the product is not available and they have no indication of when it would be released.
      01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #274
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Quote:

Don't get your hopes up, you'll get a different answer depending on who you talk to. I talked to them back in October and was told it would be ready by November. When I checked back in November I was told they have no idea when it will be released. I just chatted with them online now and was once again told the product is not available and they have no indication of when it would be released.
Yeah but.. aftermarket wireless carplays are showing up on their site, for audi cars, so I think they'll show up for bmw too!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #275
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah but.. aftermarket wireless carplays are showing up on their site, for audi cars, so I think they'll show up for bmw too!
Can you link the wireless Audi carplay? I don't see it.
      01-11-2019, 11:22 AM   #276
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Can you link the wireless Audi carplay? I don't see it.
Here you are: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/audi-a4-carplay-box/

You can choose wireless version (you can't in bmw f30 carplay page instead)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #277
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This is the site I'm using and there is no mention of wireless for any platform:

http://www.unichip-tec.com/

Is this the same company?
      01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #278
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is the site I'm using and there is no mention of wireless for any platform:

http://www.unichip-tec.com/

Is this the same company?
No they aren't.. Two different products.. the main difference and advantage of unique-ad over unichip is that it uses the car mic instead of an external one (on the wired version) and they told me they'll keep this feature on the wireless system.. That's why I prefer it over unichip
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #279
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No they aren't.. Two different products.. the main difference and advantage of unique-ad over unichip is that it uses the car mic instead of an external one (on the wired version) and they told me they'll keep this feature on the wireless system.. That's why I prefer it over unichip
Oh, I see. Unfortunately they don't make a CIC solution that would work with my E92 so I'm stuck waiting for the Unichip version.
      01-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #280
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

GANG:

I recently purchased & installed a Unichip box into my 2013 X5.
I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY. It is like an OEM install I love it.
Comments:
1. Turn down the volume on your aux output thats controlled in idrive. Drop it 2 clicks below mid point. This ensures the audio that comes out is not overdriven (you want the signal low-ish so the amp is boosting quality audio & this does that).

2. MAKE SURE you have a quality MFI certified cable to connect your phone. If you do all is well, if you dont it will drop & fail (true w/ all carplay head units)

3. The included microphone is great. Ran it to behind my rearview mirror, cant see it at all. WORKS GREAT.

4. I chose to drop the BT connection of my phone to my BMW now that I have this. If you dont do that, you have to turn off BT when in carplay mode. You cannot have BT & the AUX in going at the same time and not crash on phone calls. But there is no reason for a BT connection if you have carplay & the cable. All calls, music, etc all happen over the cable. No loss in functionality.

5. I love Carplay with the jog dial! Thought Id want touch screen but I dont. I love this as is & like using the idrive to navigate about safely. Super great.

I love having simple SIRI voice control for phone calls, texts, navigation & music. SO SO Great.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      01-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #281
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
GANG:

I recently purchased & installed a Unichip box into my 2013 X5.
I COULD NOT BE MORE HAPPY. It is like an OEM install I love it.
Comments:
1. Turn down the volume on your aux output thats controlled in idrive. Drop it 2 clicks below mid point. This ensures the audio that comes out is not overdriven (you want the signal low-ish so the amp is boosting quality audio & this does that).

2. MAKE SURE you have a quality MFI certified cable to connect your phone. If you do all is well, if you dont it will drop & fail (true w/ all carplay head units)

3. The included microphone is great. Ran it to behind my rearview mirror, cant see it at all. WORKS GREAT.

4. I chose to drop the BT connection of my phone to my BMW now that I have this. If you dont do that, you have to turn off BT when in carplay mode. You cannot have BT & the AUX in going at the same time and not crash on phone calls. But there is no reason for a BT connection if you have carplay & the cable. All calls, music, etc all happen over the cable. No loss in functionality.

5. I love Carplay with the jog dial! Thought Id want touch screen but I dont. I love this as is & like using the idrive to navigate about safely. Super great.

I love having simple SIRI voice control for phone calls, texts, navigation & music. SO SO Great.
God damn'it ... I wrote off this because of people claiming it was buggy and didn't really work out great.

Where did you buy yours? Did you install it yourself? Coding? I currently have the small screen and would like to buy this and the big screen - kind of one of the worst parts of my car
      01-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #282
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
God damn'it ... I wrote off this because of people claiming it was buggy and didn't really work out great.

Where did you buy yours? Did you install it yourself? Coding? I currently have the small screen and would like to buy this and the big screen - kind of one of the worst parts of my car
Im sorry you got that info DeeKay.
I bought it straight from Unichip. They have a chat rep (it shows one face/name but Im sure its like 5 people).

I had a pro install it cause he is my friend. But it was "easy". Its an inline install, no cutting of wires. NO CODING, though there are toggles on the back of the box that UNichip presets for you to fit your specific screen. The result is a carplay display that fills you entire screen. Really slick.

I did NOT change my screen & I love controlling it with the OEM idrive system. Had a 2 hour drive in the rain today & was super psyched. I wish SIRI would control more than just the apple apps but thats an apple thing.

If you get it, remember that you MUST turn down the Aux volume setting 2 notches to get near perfect audio. Otherwise the line feed is overdriven a bit.
Appreciate 3
      01-15-2019, 06:46 AM   #283
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

How your friend ran the Mic. Is it in the driver or passenger side?

Quote:
Im sorry you got that info DeeKay.
I bought it straight from Unichip. They have a chat rep (it shows one face/name but Im sure its like 5 people).

I had a pro install it cause he is my friend. But it was "easy". Its an inline install, no cutting of wires. NO CODING, though there are toggles on the back of the box that UNichip presets for you to fit your specific screen. The result is a carplay display that fills you entire screen. Really slick.

I did NOT change my screen & I love controlling it with the OEM idrive system. Had a 2 hour drive in the rain today & was super psyched. I wish SIRI would control more than just the apple apps but thats an apple thing.

If you get it, remember that you MUST turn down the Aux volume setting 2 notches to get near perfect audio. Otherwise the line feed is overdriven a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #284
maddog99
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
How your friend ran the Mic. Is it in the driver or passenger side?
UP & arround on the passenger side. Most of the run was just tucked in without a lot of removing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #285
DjFatKid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series XI

Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
PM sent.
Can you send me a PM as well with the cost and any updates on how this is working for u. I have a 2014 328xi and I have been researching ways to get CarPlay for months. I watched a few videos online but wasn’t entirely sure I understood the process
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:52 AM   #286
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

FYI wireless carplay is available on unique-ad website! But for now, only for 6.5 inch nbt system from magneti marelli.
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00