F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 335d xDrive M Sport - Delivered & Reviewed
Studio RSR

08-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #45
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Sorry, are you saying this about an adaptive 335d you drove today?
STD suspension I think not adaptive, but it had a sport setting unlike the M-Sport cars if that makes sense.
      08-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
I've just moved from Norwich to Peterborough recently. Not so familiar with Cambridgeshire roads but knew some good ones around Norfolk. Got any recommendations for a good drive?

To be honest shouldn't the M5 be vastly better at handling at the price it is and the fact its a proper M car? Having never driven an M car I won't know what I'm missing and hopefully the 335d with adaptive will be just fine. I merely want it a bit firmer for the odd sporty moment when it arises but otherwise it'll be on motorways and A roads in comfort so I don't rattle my teeth out on our lovely roads I don't think I'll be bending the laws of physics as I travel like it sounds some of you can do

I'm quite sure xDrive compromises the suspension to a degree but at the same time the car won't be fighting for traction so badly as if it was RWD with no LSD. So it'll make it a faster car for average joes to get around with and have that 4 wheel drive selling point which seems to becoming more important in the UK after a couple of bad winters. It certainly helped me sell the car to my wife with the 4 wheel drive tick box
No Good roads in Norfolk to my knoledge they are all sh*t.

I just use the A11 to get out of the place.
All 335D owners should have a great drive in this car, it does go well, just felt a bit more goey than my 330d, mid range was good.

You will be well pleased with it.

I get so bored with cars, I keep changing, must try and keep this one
I have had many 4 wheel drive cars RS6, RS4 B7, S8 * 2 one being the V10, all were ok in the winter but not great.
The BMW's I have bought all had winter wheels and tyres fitted and have been really sure footed.
      08-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #47
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cayenne GTS, 911 GTS & M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
NOT so: I test drove the saloon version today and the suspension is no way going to get you comfortably fast around anything but smooth roads.
Shuddering and becoming unsettled was what I was finding on A/B roads in Norfolk/Cambridge area, very unsettling at speed, but these are not autobahns.

An M5 would eat that car alive on the same roads IMO.

My 330d M Sport is much better but I do not know why that is Anyone?

Ooops, Just read NISFAN's comments.
I think I'd be almost all over you in your M5
I normally drive my cars on the limit, I start a journey with the mindset "take your time" and end it with " that thought didn't last long" that's why I can never get from Wolverhampton to London and back in my M5 on anything less than 120 litres of fuel and my car averages 17mpg - averages!

At least with my 335 d I can force you to put your foot down and when you have to stop for fuel I can catch up and overtake you
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGLL66 View Post
I think I'd be almost all over you in your M5
I normally drive my cars on the limit, I start a journey with the mindset "take your time" and end it with " that thought didn't last long" that's why I can never get from Wolverhampton to London and back in my M5 on anything less than 120 litres of fuel and my car averages 17mpg - averages!

At least with my 335 d I can force you to put your foot down and when you have to stop for fuel I can catch up and overtake you
yea I suppose there are no tankers that I could tow light enough to "even things up"
      08-15-2013, 02:02 PM   #49
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You have a point......but then why 313hp and great straight line figures in a car that has the chassis but not the set up to match

The way the f30 is suspended, they should have stopped at 328i

In a bizarre twist, the Germans are going all US on us, and the US is going all German on us, with Cadillac being voted as the better handling car

It has been a while since I drove an e9x M Sport, but am pretty sure it was more capable over rough roads. As an e90 driver what do you think? Have you driven f30 330d's etc?
No not driven a F30 330d yet. Only driven a 320d with normal suspension (not through choice, was a courtesy car ). It was nothing special for handling.
With regards the E90, Mine had "OK" handling until I got rid of the crappy Bridgestone run flats (note, the older ones, not the ones fitted to F30's). I've fitted Good Year Assymetrics and its transformed the handling, steering and ride. Much, much better car so at the moment I'm not too much in a rush to swap it, whereas before the handling, ride (and skipping out of pot holes ) was enough to make me want to swap it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #50
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
NOT so: I test drove the saloon version today and the suspension is no way going to get you comfortably fast around anything but smooth roads.
Shuddering and becoming unsettled was what I was finding on A/B roads in Norfolk/Cambridge area, very unsettling at speed, but these are not autobahns.

An M5 would eat that car alive on the same roads IMO.

My 330d M Sport is much better but I do not know why that is Anyone?

Ooops, Just read NISFAN's comments.
Don't forget you can get nearly two 335d's for the cost of one M5!! So the M5 *should* be good! (Or maybe one 335d and one 330d)

With regards "eating it alive", I think the OP is best placed to judge the verdict on that as he has owned and lived with the M5 and now has the 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #51
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
It has been a while since I drove an e9x M Sport, but am pretty sure it was more capable over rough roads. As an e90 driver what do you think? Have you driven f30 330d's etc?
My E92 M-Sport suffers from 'jacking' badly to the extent I often have to back off when driving at the limit on anything but smooth roads.

I would add that after 3 years and 70k miles the springs have aged - badly. I hit the stops daily now and it's become quite uncomfortable now.

I know from experience the E36 and E46 suffered from breaking rear springs and suspect the E9x will be no different.

As others have said, I fail to see how the F30 will not improve on this (for a non M car) and at least I'll have the option of riding comfy when I feel like it.

Compromise? Of course it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #52
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
No Good roads in Norfolk to my knoledge they are all sh*t.
Well the best roads are the ones you'd never generally use because they go from one village with a population of 3 to another village with a population of 3. Generally empty but you've got to be careful as they generally aren't very wide either.

When I was young I used to fly up and down those roads (In a Corsa so probably not fast at all). I once remember a pedestrian walking on the road and as I shot past flapping their arms up and down. I thought it would have made more sense to jump in the hedge than trying to learn to fly at the last minute. Hehe. Obviously I now know they just meant for me to slow down.

Its a shame you cannot program the Sat Nav to take you more on B roads on occasion for a more interesting drive from A to B.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #53
vieri_c
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535D M Sport Carbon Black

Looks amazing! Hope you ll ve many miles of pleasure in it.
Any issues with road and wind noise like the lessors models that a mere mortal like me drives?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #54
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Don't forget you can get nearly two 335d's for the cost of one M5!! So the M5 *should* be good! (Or maybe one 335d and one 330d)

With regards "eating it alive", I think the OP is best placed to judge the verdict on that as he has owned and lived with the M5 and now has the 335d
Don't forget I have just got out of the 335D and driven the M5 so I am aware of what each can do and my moneys on the M5
But it really does not matter, at the end of the day I have now bought the M5 to trash other cars, it's more "My last real super car" and at 64 years old it will be nice to just cruise it most times and let the rest just wonder "Just how fast it is"

Probably be in the new M3/4 in two/three years if I still feel young.
      08-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #55
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Well the best roads are the ones you'd never generally use because they go from one village with a population of 3 to another village with a population of 3. Generally empty but you've got to be careful as they generally aren't very wide either.

When I was young I used to fly up and down those roads (In a Corsa so probably not fast at all). I once remember a pedestrian walking on the road and as I shot past flapping their arms up and down. I thought it would have made more sense to jump in the hedge than trying to learn to fly at the last minute. Hehe. Obviously I now know they just meant for me to slow down.

Its a shame you cannot program the Sat Nav to take you more on B roads on occasion for a more interesting drive from A to B.
Trouble is today the local PLOD are hiding up lay-bys and scammera vans are on these roads.
So no fun to be had here now, 15 years ago these roads were a playground, not any more!!!!.
      08-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #56
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

If I sat down and looked at "Real world driving" then an M5 is way over the top on UK roads. Exploiting it is to be "Carefully thought out" and have the ability to look two ways at once.
Three gears and 140MPH is a frightener for anyone I suppose.

Still I like the looks even if I can't always blast.
      08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #57
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Don't forget I have just got out of the 335D and driven the M5 so I am aware of what each can do and my moneys on the M5
But it really does not matter, at the end of the day I have now bought the M5 to trash other cars, it's more "My last real super car" and at 64 years old it will be nice to just cruise it most times and let the rest just wonder "Just how fast it is"

Probably be in the new M3/4 in two/three years if I still feel young.
Fair play to you, and I dont blame you. Will be an epic car for sure and has a 250bhp advantage over a 335d anyway. Is no doubt lightening fast.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #58
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Trouble is today the local PLOD are hiding up lay-bys and scammera vans are on these roads.
So no fun to be had here now, 15 years ago these roads were a playground, not any more!!!!.
Yeah they do hide out in a lot of places but maybe I'm talking more about roads that aren't so much B road but maybe C or D types if we had those classifications. There's so little traffic on them that they normally don't bother with them but they are thin and you've got to be careful. So its not so much fast straight out speed but fast acceleration, braking and hard cornering type roads.

Sad as 15 years ago I was just starting out driving and couldn't afford much. Now I can afford a nice car its getting hard to make good use of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #59
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Xdrive

Hi,

Is the car twin turbo or twin scroll like the 330d?

The BMW site showed twin turbo but I'm a bit confused.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #60
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

It has two turbos.
Attached Images

Last edited by dopper99; 08-16-2013 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:20 AM   #61
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

While looking through the specs, I've noticed the 335d brakes are different to the 330d.

335d are stated as swing calliper brakes
330d are stated as floating calliper brakes

not sure what the difference is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #62
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprat View Post
Hi,

Is the car twin turbo or twin scroll like the 330d?

The BMW site showed twin turbo but I'm a bit confused.

Cheers
Twin turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #63
SGLL66
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vieri_c View Post
Looks amazing! Hope you ll ve many miles of pleasure in it.
Any issues with road and wind noise like the lessors models that a mere mortal like me drives?
Thanks. No wind noise and have not noticed any tyre noise yet. But with low profile tyres on motorway cruising it will be inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #64
Cuprat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Xdrive

Thanks all for clarifying. Can't wait for my new car
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #65
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
While looking through the specs, I've noticed the 335d brakes are different to the 330d.

335d are stated as swing calliper brakes
330d are stated as floating calliper brakes

not sure what the difference is
335d has the 4 piston calipers on the front, same as the US spec 335i, or the M Sport brakes. Painted grey.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:40 AM   #66
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
335d has the 4 piston calipers on the front, same as the US spec 335i, or the M Sport brakes. Painted grey.
Sounds nice. But what happens if we spec the M Sport + pack that includes upgraded brakes? Does this pack upgrade them further?
Appreciate 0