F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F36 6WB Retrofit questions
Studio RSR

09-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
Zorn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F36 430i xDrive

F36 6WB Retrofit questions

I've been strongly considering buying a virginized 6WB cluster, but had a few questions from everything I've been reading. For reference, my car is a 2018 F36, build date of 5/2017, and using the NBT_EVO_R i-step.

1) Given my build date and i-step, would my car be able to do nav on both the HUD and the 6WB?

2) My car has the speed limit information option (8TH), would I get that feature with 6WB where it puts the red line for where the speed limit is on the speedometer?

3) Do CarPlay navigation directions show up on the 6WB display?

4) Are there any coding things that can be done on the 6WB, such as M Performance logo or anything like that? Can't do much of anything on my 6WA, and really hate how the left side lower mini display (under speedometer) never shows anything.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn View Post
I've been strongly considering buying a virginized 6WB cluster, but had a few questions from everything I've been reading. For reference, my car is a 2018 F36, build date of 5/2017, and using the NBT_EVO_R i-step.

1) Given my build date and i-step, would my car be able to do nav on both the HUD and the 6WB?

2) My car has the speed limit information option (8TH), would I get that feature with 6WB where it puts the red line for where the speed limit is on the speedometer?

4) Are there any coding things that can be done on the 6WB, such as M Performance logo or anything like that? Can't do much of anything on my 6WA, and really hate how the left side lower mini display (under speedometer) never shows anything.

Thanks all!
Several have run into issues with so called virginized 6WBs.

1) NO

2) NO

3) NO

4) Nothing more than what 6WA gives you.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #3
Zorn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

1) NO

2) NO

3) NO

Is there any way to get 2? Why do some cars have that?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

1) NO

2) NO

3) NO

Is there any way to get 2? Why do some cars have that?
Well, I have that option and it doesn't show on mine. I have not heard of it on others, but honestly haven't investigated it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:

Thanks all!
I have no experience with retrofitting the 6WB, as mine was fortunately part of the original configuration, but I will answer your questions depending on what is possible with a factory-installed 6WB in F36:

1) Nav guidance provided on HUD (unsure whether anything shows in the 6WB).

2) Yes. red bug provided. Delta from speed limit also coloured in red.

3) Who uses Carplay navigation?

4) No M-Performance Logo possible/available. Only thing that can be added by coding is a compass.
      09-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Zorn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I have no experience with retrofitting the 6WB, as mine was fortunately part of the original configuration, but I will answer your questions depending on what is possible with a factory-installed 6WB in F36:

1) Nav guidance provided on HUD (unsure whether anything shows in the 6WB).

2) Yes. red bug provided. Delta from speed limit also coloured in red.

3) Who uses Carplay navigation?

4) No M-Performance Logo possible/available. Only thing that can be added by coding is a compass.
Thank you! Did you need to code the speed limit thing, or was it just present by default?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Present by default. Looks like that:

The only useful coding you can do (and I have done) on the 6WB is to enable the compass

Oh, one can also enable another digital readout of the speed (as on previous cluster models), which I find completely useless (especially in combination with HUD), so I passed on it.
      09-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

P.s. You might find some relevant information here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1541914
(Haven't read it myself, just noticed your question is discussed)