F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Something holding the power back on 435d - troubleshoot
proTUNING Freaks

09-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

Something holding the power back on 435d - troubleshoot

Hi guys,

Context: I had a what I considered a Stage 1 mild tune on my F36 435d GC - 357hp & 717Nm. Lots of tuners in UK/globally offer better - e.g. both Unicorn & Ecotune Scotland (w. DPF still intact) are 390hp so I wanted more.

I changed IC (ATM - like CSF, but better) & was running 12.2-12.4 100-200kph first, & then got in touch with Evolve to try their remote tune. When we discussed initially I got quoted 375-390 for x35d with IC & 740-50Nm.

But when I got the file, the car went to 12.6-8 100-200kph & showed like 350hp & 700Nm. Basically slower. There was a lot of back&forth, trying things/new files - e.g. got sent one that apparently did 11.8 100-200khp on another 435d, but on mine it barely went above stock (14.5s). And I was told that something is holding the power back that I should troubleshoot. I told them the car was faster before so at least the same would be nice, so got sent a file that does 12.4 100-200kph.

Now, the car pulls 4.2-4.3s 0-100 which is good, but the 100-200 is slower than it should be. I know sports displays are not accurate, but on the first pulls I see the power going to 260-70kW, & after gear change at faster speed its more like 250kW.

So the questions:
1) Do you think something could really be holding the power back, or rather its just a the tune itself? I'm asking since I could try e.g. Ecotune in Scotland which also I think does some remote, but don't want to waste money if the issue is someplace else
2) If something indeed could be holding the power back - any idea what? I don't get any codes/errors, so the only thing I'm thinking is to clean the DPF (don't want to get rid of it though). The car has only 43,000km on it though so not sure. Thoughts? What else could it be?

Thanks a ton for the help!

Best,
L.

Also - this is not to talk bad about Evolve - they spent tons of time w. me on this trying things out
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

I know some people will have more specific info but I know the ZF8 has a torque limit on 3rd and 6th. I am guessing that's what you're running in to.

Here is a thread on it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486930
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      09-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I know some people will have more specific info but I know the ZF8 has a torque limit on 3rd and 6th. I am guessing that's what you're running in to.

Here is a thread on it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1486930
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I got a gearbox flash that removed the limits - or at least should have. The original I think is 760Nm, I now have 1000Nm. But even the 760Nm shouldn't be a problem since you're high in rev-range, its more likely pulling 500-640Nm up at 3,5-4,5k. So don't think it would be that but Ill check the forum

Edit: I read it - super interesting read! Will investigate that. However, I see other x35ds pulling well under 12s 100-200kph - so thats what I'm trying to figure out. Either they all have better gearbox flash, or better tune, or there is something wrong with the car

Last edited by luke1990; 09-13-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Slightly unrelated, but I was curious to see how your performance changed after switching to ATM. Your previous data showed 100-200kph for CSF was 12.43s. After the swap to ATM that dropped to 12.2s? Nice.

4.2-4.3s is significantly faster than the 4.75s 0-100 you had before.

What tires are you running and what tires are the other vehicles that have lower times running?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Slightly unrelated, but I was curious to see how your performance changed after switching to ATM. Your previous data showed 100-200kph for CSF was 12.43s. After the swap to ATM that dropped to 12.2s? Nice.

4.2-4.3s is significantly faster than the 4.75s 0-100 you had before.

What tires are you running and what tires are the other vehicles that have lower times running?
It was night and day honestly vs. CSF. I got even better times up top - 12.2 vs 12.4 and there is very little additional lag down low. There is some, but not much. 0-100 was definitely better by 0.4-0.5 and was basically identical to what I had with stock IC. That is with LC engaged of course. Without, it was also quite similiar around 5s z 5.4-5.5 (if I recall correctly) of CSF.

So yes, ATM is by far better than CSF in my experience. Even the guy who swapped it in shop and drove it with me said there was a "huge turbo hole" down low. On the other hand - when I talked with Imran from Evolve, he said CSF always makes cars faster. Maybe I got a bad unit or something - I guess I will never know .

For tires - I don't think you can get much better - I have MPS4s - classic staggered 19s 225 r19 top 255 r19 back. And I have lighter aftermarket wheels - not forged, but the next best thing (OZ leggera). I don't detect any slippage at any time during the acceleration. And if there was slippage due to tires, I think you would see it in 0-100 not 100-200. 0-100 I have in line, 100-200 is the issue

Last edited by luke1990; 09-14-2019 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!3994.50
      09-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The sports gauges are only showing what the relevant ECUs understand from the data being processed. It may also be the case that the engine ECU data is being modified (spoofed) in the remap so as not to cause the TCU to manage torque (torque limitations).

You may also be experiencing one of the downsides of remote remapping - not being able to tweak the 'map in real-time, not being able to dyno the car before and after, and not being able to data log and plot the results. Just because a remap file 'should' achieve XYZ results, doesn't mean that these results will be achieved by your car.

I relate to your frustration. The modding experience can be a long one. My 'map has been fine, but my suspension journey has been infuriating and expensive.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      09-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #7
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The sports gauges are only showing what the relevant ECUs understand from the data being processed. It may also be the case that the engine ECU data is being modified (spoofed) in the remap so as not to cause the TCU to manage torque (torque limitations).

You may also be experiencing one of the downsides of remote remapping - not being able to tweak the 'map in real-time, not being able to dyno the car before and after, and not being able to data log and plot the results. Just because a remap file 'should' achieve XYZ results, doesn't mean that these results will be achieved by your car.

I relate to your frustration. The modding experience can be a long one. My 'map has been fine, but my suspension journey has been infuriating and expensive.
I hope that the spoofing is not being done since its somebody like Evolve - which seem to be quite a reputable tuner.

The second point you make I fully understand, but also find quite interesting. What are some of the things that could make a tune do 11.8 100-200kph on one car and 14.5 on another? Or even a smaller discrepancies?

And back to the topic at hand - is there anything physically with the car that could hold the power back even with a good tune? E.g. / or aside from my idea of full/stuck DPF?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #8
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Difficult to tell what could be causing the differences between the claimed outputs and the actual performance from your car.

There are several possible causes :

Boost leak.
Low boost, i.e. not leaking but boost pressure aspect of the remap not operating correctly.
Stuck (or poorly programmed) EGR.
Clogged DPF.
Dirty air filter.
IC seat soak.

Real-time diagnostics and adjustments to the remap while running on a dyno can identify whether there's a problem, and possible root causes.

You could try data logging the car yourself. A V-Gate V2 OBD dongle and the OBDfusion App can real-time log a wide range of data points which can then be exported to Excel. From there you can plot the data in graphically to see what's happening.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      09-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Difficult to tell what could be causing the differences between the claimed outputs and the actual performance from your car.

There are several possible causes :

Boost leak.
Low boost, i.e. not leaking but boost pressure aspect of the remap not operating correctly.
Stuck (or poorly programmed) EGR.
Clogged DPF.
Dirty air filter.
IC seat soak.

Real-time diagnostics and adjustments to the remap while running on a dyno can identify whether there's a problem, and possible root causes.

You could try data logging the car yourself. A V-Gate V2 OBD dongle and the OBDfusion App can real-time log a wide range of data points which can then be exported to Excel. From there you can plot the data in graphically to see what's happening.
Thanks! Going 1-by-1:
Boost-leak -> likely not so, since I do get sufficient 0-100 times. And I don't hear any "boost-leaky" sounds
Low boost -> I think similar would apply - I would already see issues at 0-100
Stuck, or poorly programmed EGR -> could you elaborate? Don't understand it
DPF clog -> will try to clean
Dirty air filter -> would having a look at it identify a possible problem? Saw a tutorial how to change it, so I thing I could get to it
IC heat soak -> I have aftermarket ATM FMIC - it previously helped to push down 100-200 times vs stock by 0.5s so I don't think it could be the case

Also maybe an important point -> if I look at the sports displays it shows 250-270kW which is 340-368hp (not BHP). If I got a tune for 375-390hp - and I got any of the above issues, wouldn't the sports displays still show me 375-390hp? To my understanding, sports displays show the engine output - i.e. the power it is trying to make based on its setting. If thats the case, it would indicate the tune is not putting the power it should.

Or would it be the case that e.g. clogged DPF would make the engine show 350hp even though the tune tells it to make 375hp?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

No, the sports display data is a separate part of the tune, and once there is a tune on it, it will be off. It will be especially off when the tuner decalibrates maps. So it's not a great test.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      09-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke1990 View Post
Thanks! Going 1-by-1:
Boost-leak -> likely not so, since I do get sufficient 0-100 times. And I don't hear any "boost-leaky" sounds
Low boost -> I think similar would apply - I would already see issues at 0-100
Stuck, or poorly programmed EGR -> could you elaborate? Don't understand it
DPF clog -> will try to clean
Dirty air filter -> would having a look at it identify a possible problem? Saw a tutorial how to change it, so I thing I could get to it
IC heat soak -> I have aftermarket ATM FMIC - it previously helped to push down 100-200 times vs stock by 0.5s so I don't think it could be the case

Also maybe an important point -> if I look at the sports displays it shows 250-270kW which is 340-368hp (not BHP). If I got a tune for 375-390hp - and I got any of the above issues, wouldn't the sports displays still show me 375-390hp? To my understanding, sports displays show the engine output - i.e. the power it is trying to make based on its setting. If thats the case, it would indicate the tune is not putting the power it should.

Or would it be the case that e.g. clogged DPF would make the engine show 350hp even though the tune tells it to make 375hp?
I do expect some of my suggestions to be easy to rule out - they'd most likely affect the car's performance across the range. But, sometimes it's best to eliminate as many things as possible.

Good to hear that there aren't any boost leaks (that you can hear).

Logging the boost pressures would be useful.

EGR - worth checking with the tuner to ensure that the EGR programming is correct i.e. at low/med/high revs and loads. I have my EGR programmed as fully closed 100% of the time.

DPF - a good quality fuel additive DPF/EGR cleaner may help. You could also use Carly to get a reading of the level of soot and ash in the DPF, and force a regen if the levels are high. If you do a lot of short journeys, and don't frequently take the car on a long run, DPF clogging can be an issue.

If the air filter is dirty you'd tend to notice a power restriction in the higher rev range. Changing the filter is very simple - literally a 2 minute job.

Given your good experience with the ATM IC it's unlikely to be causing a problem. Still worth doing some data logging to see whether it's causing a pressure differential.

At this stage my gut instinct is that the issues relate to the remap not being optimised, especially as it's been applied as a remote flash.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      10-03-2019, 02:47 AM   #12
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do expect some of my suggestions to be easy to rule out - they'd most likely affect the car's performance across the range. But, sometimes it's best to eliminate as many things as possible.

EGR - worth checking with the tuner to ensure that the EGR programming is correct i.e. at low/med/high revs and loads. I have my EGR programmed as fully closed 100% of the time.

DPF - a good quality fuel additive DPF/EGR cleaner may help. You could also use Carly to get a reading of the level of soot and ash in the DPF, and force a regen if the levels are high. If you do a lot of short journeys, and don't frequently take the car on a long run, DPF clogging can be an issue.

If the air filter is dirty you'd tend to notice a power restriction in the higher rev range. Changing the filter is very simple - literally a 2 minute job.

Given your good experience with the ATM IC it's unlikely to be causing a problem. Still worth doing some data logging to see whether it's causing a pressure differential.

At this stage my gut instinct is that the issues relate to the remap not being optimised, especially as it's been applied as a remote flash.
Thanks for a reply! Was out so getting to it just now.
1. Ill try to find a way to do it - just got an android phone to flash xHP so hopefully I can make it happen
2. EGR - Ill get in touch with them and ask
3. DPF - apparently mine was quite clogged; for some reason even at 45000km only (I got the car with 30,000km so maybe the previous owner did a lot of short journeys - though with my driving it shouldnt really get that clogged); I had it cleaned, did some pulls after, but there is really no difference :/ - at least now I know its good
4. Air filter sounds like what it could be - I took some photos yesterday -> it doesn't seem though its too dirty. -> could you check if its fine? I cleaned the small bits out of it. Should I get a new one to change?

5. Yeah IC should be fine

I tend to now think its also the map. The only thing that has me a bit worried is how my DPF got so bad so fast, but performance wise that shouldnt be an issue now that its clean
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #13
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for a reply! Was out so getting to it just now.
1. Ill try to find a way to do it - just got an android phone to flash xHP so hopefully I can make it happen
2. EGR - Ill get in touch with them and ask
3. DPF - apparently mine was quite clogged; for some reason even at 45000km only (I got the car with 30,000km so maybe the previous owner did a lot of short journeys - though with my driving it shouldnt really get that clogged); I had it cleaned, did some pulls after, but there is really no difference :/ - at least now I know its good
4. Air filter sounds like what it could be - I took some photos yesterday -> it doesn't seem though its too dirty. -> could you check if its fine? I cleaned the small bits out of it. Should I get a new one to change?

5. Yeah IC should be fine

I tend to now think its also the map. The only thing that has me a bit worried is how my DPF got so bad so fast, but performance wise that shouldnt be an issue now that its clean
Your air filter is fine. I change mine every ~9k miles and it's normally a lot darker than that.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      11-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
fantanas
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Did you manage to figure out what was wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #15
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i N54 19t FBO Pump + Meth

Hello,

I think I maybe had a smilar thing with my 435d. Now it's running 407hp :-)

When I first got it tuned I got 375hp which was annoyed me a little. Ecotune mentioned at the time they had to take it down a step for whatever reason. Anyway I knew from my last 330d that carbon build up can be bad so I had a look at mine....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cRLAJq8JY9B9MQhC9

The photos say it all. I did a wallnut blast and cleaned the manifold out with sodium hydroxide.

I then fitted a new ebay wagner copy, performance Air filter and deleted the swirl flaps.

Took it back to get tuned and they said the DPF was clogged so they did a manual forced regen and remapped again under the instructions to get as much out of it as they could within safe limits and I got 407hp with 730nm.

There is a really cool app for out cars now called btool expert (andriod) . Suggest you buy it with a carista Bluetooth adapter (15 quid on amazon). The app will show you some important stuff. Mainly what you want to check is:

1. EGT - should not really see over 350c normal driving, 550c if your booting it hard and red lining. About 600c if its doing a regen.

2.Target boost vs actual boot (this will tell you if there is a boost leak), it's measured in hpa and remember to take away atmosphere pressure (1000hpa). Stage 1 you should see about 3200hpa, stage 1+ 3400hpa

3. Dpf back pressure test. If its outside limits the ecu will start to pull power as I understand

4. Fuel pressure. Our cars should run 2000bar at WOT/full boost as I understand

I'm no expert but that been my experience so far!

I had the DPF off for a while and it's not worth it for the Mot fail/invalid insurance and whistle noise that's really loud!

You can also request a regen with that app. I recently did 5 in a row and got the back pressure lower than I have ever seen. I have an issue with my DPF just now not getting hot enough which I think might be down to a glow plug fault.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by CantSitStill; 12-05-2019 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      11-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Hello,

When I first got it tuned I got 375hp which was annoyed me a little. Ecotune mentioned at the time they had to take it down a step for whatever reason. Anyway I knew from my last 330d that carbon build up can be bad so I had a look at mine....

The photos say it all. I did a wallnut blast and cleaned the manifold out with sodium hydroxide.

I then fitted a new ebay wagner copy, performance Air filter and deleted the swirl flaps.

Took it back to get tuned and they said the DPF was clogged so they did a manual forced regen and remapped again under the instructions to get as much out of it as they could within safe limits and I got 407hp with 730nm.

There is a really cool app for out cars now called btool expert (andriod) . Suggest you buy it with a carista Bluetooth adapter (15 quid on amazon). The app will show you some important stuff. Mainly what you want to check is:

1. EGT - should not really see over 400c if its not doing a DPF regen I think. About 550c if its doing a regen.

2.Target boost vs actual boot (this will tell you if there is a boost leak), it's measured in hpa and remember to take away atmosphere pressure (1000hpa). Stage 1 you should see about 3200hpa, stage 1+ 3400hpa

3. Dpf back pressure test. If its outside limits the ecu will start to pull power as I understand

I had the DPF off for a while and it's not worth it for the Mot fail/invalid insurance and whistle noise that's really loud!

You can also request a regen with that app. I recently did 5 in a row and got the back pressure lower than I have ever seen. I have an issue with my DPF just now not getting hot enough which I think might be down to a glow plug fault.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Good write-up and info.

I've had some similar experiences with my 30d which is running a DMS map ~345bhp/525lbft).

The inlet ports were pretty fouled at 80K (cylinders 1-3 were much worse than 4-6) as was the IM. I've since had the EGR valve software closed 100% and have installed a catch can to try and reduce oil vapour fouling as much as possible.

Because I had them already I use BimmerCode (which has a very wide of parameters which can be logged) and Carly for DPF spot level monitoring and forced regens if I need to do them.

I find that catalyst (DPF) temps tend to stay <350C in normal driving, ~550C when the DPF is doing a regen, and can be over 600C when the car is being worked hard.

When it comes to carbon build-up in the cylinders and on pistons, heat is our friend. So that, plus running Archoil products in every tank plus intensive treatments every 10K miles, should help to keep those clean.

407bhp is a decent number for a 335d + intercooler.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50
      11-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
fantanas
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Quote:
Quote:
Hello,

1. EGT - should not really see over 400c if its not doing a DPF regen I think. About 550c if its doing a regen.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Good write-up and info.

I've had some similar experiences with my 30d which is running a DMS map ~345bhp/525lbft).

The inlet ports were pretty fouled at 80K (cylinders 1-3 were much worse than 4-6) as was the IM. I've since had the EGR valve software closed 100% and have installed a catch can to try and reduce oil vapour fouling as much as possible.

Because I had them already I use BimmerCode (which has a very wide of parameters which can be logged) and Carly for DPF spot level monitoring and forced regens if I need to do them.

I find that catalyst (DPF) temps tend to stay <350C in normal driving, ~550C when the DPF is doing a regen, and can be over 600C when the car is being worked hard.

When it comes to carbon build-up in the cylinders and on pistons, heat is our friend. So that, plus running Archoil products in every tank plus intensive treatments every 10K miles, should help to keep those clean.

407bhp is a decent number for a 335d + intercooler.
What intensive products would you suggest?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #18
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I use Archoil 6400D-Max.

Now, I don't have any proof whether it works (I've not had the head off the engine, not used an endoscope through one of the ports) so it could be a waste of money, but the engine runs more smoothly when/after using it so I'll keep using it.

I also use Archoil 6900D-Max with every tank of fuel and this definitely helps with smooth running and reduces diesel clatter.

Don't bother with any fuel additives or aerosol sprays for cleaning the IM and ports - I tried them and they make no difference at all. The only way to clean these areas is to have the IM removed for chemical cleaning, and to walnut blast the ports.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #19
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thanks a ton for reply! I didn't get it fixed yet.

My DPF was clogged and now should be clean. I will definitely try to do something about cleanup. However - I'm not good mechanically so will have to ask somebody to do it.

1. Do you have any idea on how big of a job it is? And if normal mechanics can do it?
2. And what should I tell them specifically to clean? manifolds and?

Thanks a ton!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #20
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a ton for reply! I didn't get it fixed yet.

My DPF was clogged and now should be clean. I will definitely try to do something about cleanup. However - I'm not good mechanically so will have to ask somebody to do it.

1. Do you have any idea on how big of a job it is? And if normal mechanics can do it?
2. And what should I tell them specifically to clean? manifolds and?

Thanks a ton!
Its basically the same as doing a N54 carbon clean and there are lots of DIY's for that. You can hire the walnut blaster to do it if your good at DIY. Basically you just remove the intake manifold which is easy. Cleaning the valves is easy as well but hard to keep the blastings from going everywhere and you need to make bloody sure you remember to crank the engine over to close the valves. Can do it in a day with correct tools. Garage will charge about 400-500 quid. You can buy intakes that are cleared up like new for 250 on ebay. Cleaning them is pretty easy as long as you soak in sodium hydroxide water mix over night and then power wash. I had to use a pit of plywood to block all the ports so I could fill it right up. Messy as fook, it would be worth it to pay 250 put it that way! After you might want to get your EGR disabled! Stop it from getting so bad again.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 05:21 AM   #21
luke1990
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Its basically the same as doing a N54 carbon clean and there are lots of DIY's for that. You can hire the walnut blaster to do it if your good at DIY. Basically you just remove the intake manifold which is easy. Cleaning the valves is easy as well but hard to keep the blastings from going everywhere and you need to make bloody sure you remember to crank the engine over to close the valves. Can do it in a day with correct tools. Garage will charge about 400-500 quid. You can buy intakes that are cleared up like new for 250 on ebay. Cleaning them is pretty easy as long as you soak in sodium hydroxide water mix over night and then power wash. I had to use a pit of plywood to block all the ports so I could fill it right up. Messy as fook, it would be worth it to pay 250 put it that way! After you might want to get your EGR disabled! Stop it from getting so bad again.
Thanks! Will tell them. I’m afraid of going into it honestly myself as this sounds like I have to pull the engine out? I will try to find a garage that does it

On the EGR disable and swirflaps delete - egr diabale is software right? So this is for the tuner to do. While the swirflaps and hardware so I could ask the garage to do it? Thanks!

And what is the effect of doing those two?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 05:37 AM   #22
CantSitStill
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Will tell them. I’m afraid of going into it honestly myself as this sounds like I have to pull the engine out? I will try to find a garage that does it

On the EGR disable and swirflaps delete - egr diabale is software right? So this is for the tuner to do. While the swirflaps and hardware so I could ask the garage to do it? Thanks!

And what is the effect of doing those two?
No engine out. Its all done nice and easy from the top. If you know what your doing it takes about 20 mins to get it off. EGR can be hardware and a software delete or you can just do the software delete like most ppl. That still leaves the EGR which is very prone to cracking and leaking. I left mine for MOT purposes. The UK hate tuners and wants us all to conform to the rules.

The swirl flaps are plastic and not going anywhere (unlike the M57) on the N57. I took mine out and the Ecu knew straight away before driving and stopped the car from boosting. Had to get a software delete for them. Can't say I notice a difference in power up or down. Probably not worth it TBH. Maybe at 500hp+ for better flow.
Appreciate 1
luke1990132.50