F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Looking at 2015 and 2016 Gran Coupes...a few questions.
ARMA SPEED

12-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
md222
Rep
Drives: Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
I've got the 2016 435 and I have to say, whenever I think about my next car, I always come back to the one I have. In terms of practicality, fun to drive factor, its the best. Run-flats are noisy and annoying, avoid them if you can.

I'd highly recommend the Dinan Shockware though. Tightens up the vehicle remarkably.
Are you aware of any notable changes between the '16 and 15'? I'm kind of on the fence between a '15 435xi or a '16 428xi.

I'll check out the Shockware. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:21 PM   #24
kalien34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e CB M Sport

Been leasing a 2018 430GC just over a year now, so can't speak to 4 of your 5 questions.

But for features, HUD would definitely be the top of my list. You won't want any car without that once you had it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:28 AM   #25
technologic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalien34 View Post
Been leasing a 2018 430GC just over a year now, so can't speak to 4 of your 5 questions.

But for features, HUD would definitely be the top of my list. You won't want any car without that once you had it.
Agree completely. I'd pay a premium for HUD and in-line six. Even in traffic it's fun to drive a rocket ship. For me - I only like the looks of the msport so that was a starting point along with the fifth door. But the heads up display is the most surprising feature I now wouldn't want to go without. So I suggest to see if you can find one with that.

There are other things i really like such as heated seats/steering wheel as i live in a place that gets a real winter. The xdrive is pretty good. Not as good as the audi a4 I had, which was a joy in the snow for such a low car. BMW does jack up the xdrive a bit but that's one of the reasons i went with the f36 as it is lower to the ground compared to a 3 or 5 series. Definitely still a sporty look, even with xdrive. The hatch along with the coupe shape is awesome, and accordingly is the only BMW i would really want. You can get a ton of stuff in this thing. I grab a dozen 40 lbs. bags of wood stove pellets once every couple of weeks at the store and loading and unloading couldn't be easier. I'm only 20k miles and 1.5 years in but no issues whatsoever.

The last thing I'd say is BMW does a good job making sure every separate feature has real value. It's difficult to imagine you wouldn't really like the options you end up. It's just personal preference, selection and budget that is going to force you to give some up.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #26
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Yup, trying to find 'the right' BMW is nightmare. I just wanted a 430d GC, with msport+ (easy, so many have it), and adaptive suspension. Pretty much anything else I was open minded about, including colour lol. I still struggled!!

Turns out a lot of people that select msport+ are less likely to select adaptive suspension...

Long story short, I ended up with a very lovely car that sadly DOES NOT have adaptive suspension, but does park itself and has a fair few other options that I do enjoy.

I'm very happy with my car, but this isn't the first time I set strict must have options when buying a used German car, but in the end gave up and just bought the best I could

Same when car shopping for BMW's with friends, they always compromise on something..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #27
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

To answer the OPs query a bit, the LCI F36 gained LED rear lights and a sliding cover over the centre console mounted cup holders.
Some say the suspension & steering was also improved, but I can't remember seeing anyone who's owned / had a great deal of experience of both posting a comparison review.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

My experience of a 2015 x-drive GC has been very positive in the first year.
As mentioned above, the HUD was firmly on the list of must haves after driving a demonstrator.
After our previous cars the suspension can feel soft on lateral transitions. Also oddly caught out by certain road imperfections, with the shock transmitted through to the cabin. This with Adaptive shocks in Comfort. However, much of the time it works really well at providing an isolated ride on our less than perfect roads.
If there was one wish it would be for a steering wheel mounted button that allowed the Drivers preferred set up to be recalled with another press going back to the previous settings.

I created a list of required options;
HUD, M-Sport plus package, Adaptive suspension and lights, also preferably a light coloured interior with fine line anthracite wood, then went from there with a widespread (geographic) search. It took about eight weeks, but a great car at a sensible price came along.
Just persevere, good luck.
Appreciate 1
movietub100.50
      12-18-2018, 08:55 AM   #29
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
To answer the OPs query a bit, the LCI F36 gained LED rear lights and a sliding cover over the centre console mounted cup holders.
Some say the suspension & steering was also improved, but I can't remember seeing anyone who's owned / had a great deal of experience of both posting a comparison review.
BMW definitely said the cars setup was improved, but I can't remember where/when. I drove a few back to back and have to say they felt about the same.

Thing is, from BMW's perspective the changes could be fractional, for example, if they have reports of unusually high inner tyre wear they might make some small alterations. Or if a particular component is costing too much in warranty repairs they may alter it, or alter the surrounding setup to reduce the load. It could be literally anything, doesn't always mean it's going to lead to a benefit any of us can detect. Although, improvements are always good - whatever they improve.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #30
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
I have had a number of BMWs over the years, never a 4 series though. However, just took my wife's e90 to the dealer for recall work and they gave me a 2019 430 Gran Coupé for the day. I generally liked it, two caveats though. I am six feet tall with a normal torso/leg ratio and I hit my head on the headliner in the back when seated in a normal position in the rear seat. I would also prefer the car with the inline 6 (I have a f30 335i) just because that engine fits the grand tourer character of the f36 so much better. The four cylinder has enough power but is a bit rough at times.
Now a few generally applicable BMW „words of wisdom" from someone who has several of these fine machines. Sports seats are must imo, run flats are crappy (bad ride, expensive, poor wear, and fairly useless), get non-rfs and either a donut for the trunk or a can of goo or both. If you want a warranty, go aftermarket so you can take it to an independent shop and are not wed to the dealer. Find the old-school maintenance schedule and change fluids accordingly if you want to keep the car longterm. Definitely plan on changing transmission fluid prior to 60k and do an oil change inbetween the official changes. If you are coming from a non- turbo car, remember to let it warm up before driving too vigorously. Also, if you live in a place with snow in the winter get a dedicated set of good snow tires. Even with all wheel drive, all season tires suck in the snow, especially at braking!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #31
mzabbas
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC

I just got a 2016 428i GC RWD last night. Reasons were the same, I wanted 5 seats (kids) and something that looks better than a 3 series.

I drove the 428 for the first time yesterday. A couple years ago I used to have a 535 and loved the power. I was so pleasantly surprised with the power of the 428. The deliver is better than what honda does on a v6 (even the new ones) in my opinion. Plenty fast, specially in sport mode. Its not just about the 0-60 but how it feels to drive. Definitely recommend test driving it.

How would you rate the 4 series for general reliability?
No experience yet, but seems to be generally reliable after the 2014 year.

Is CPO worth the premium or should I go with a 3rd party extended warranty?
I thought the CPO was worth it, due to unlimited miles and most third party warranties are crap. (opinion)

As an Android user I know BMW doesn't support Android Auto, but can I at least use spotify?
Can't answer.

Are run flat tires really as bad as people say?
I had normal ties on the 535 and runflats on this 428. Initial impressions is that they are fine, but time will tell. I do have the Adaptive M Suspension so that also makes a difference.

What options or features would you consider must haves?
This is subjective, but Navigation Prof. There is more that I would definitely get, because to me, the whole point of the luxury car is to get the goodies, in addition to the driving dynamics. That is what balances the sport and luxury. But there is not 1 specific thing that must be there. As long as there are a good percentage of the following: Heads up display, Adaptive LED Lights, leather, surround cameras, radar cruise, heated seats, etc. I just do not like bare bone cars. I drive too much to not have the creature comforts.

Many consider Adaptive Suspension to be must have, since it is the most comfortable and also the most sportish. I do not have enough experience with that to tell yet. My last one had the 704 Sport suspension which was a good balance, but that was on a 5 series.

I got Black sapphire with coral red leather. The red is much more tastefully done than other brands I have looked at. I love it. I got adaptive led lights and adaptive suspension, navigation, heated seats. I miss the heads up display, but wanted to get this car as its hard to find the adaptive suspension in used.

Last edited by mzabbas; 12-18-2018 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
movietub100.50
      12-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #32
hhzh15
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Gran Coupe

I recently bought a 2016 435i GC. I believe LCI for 4 series started in 2017, so there is very little changes between 2015 and 2016 (if any).

I think you should go for the 435i. The N20 engine performs very well, but I still think the inline 6 is worth of every penny, even just for its deeper sound during idle and acceleration.

The inventory of 435i with M-sports is very low, even searching nation wide. So the price is jacked up. It will take some time and patience to find the one with right color, options and price.

Enjoy car hunting.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
BuefordTjustice
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 435 Gran Coupe xdrive

Things I don't like about the 435gc

- no handle on the roof to hang clothes (small hook that pops out doesn't even fit a plastic hangar)
- Gas door doesn't close when car is locked
- no LSD

I do however love the motor/trans. I have a small piggy back tune BMS1 the car has plenty of torque and loves to get up and go. The shifts are smooth and fast....However, i'll be going back to audi as BMW service is poor and i feel audi interior build quality is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #34
md222
Rep

Thanks for all the comments. I've been keeping an eye on inventory as it pops up on various used car sites. There really aren't a lot of 2016 435xi out there which I guess is to be expected as they are only three years old. The ones I've seen seem to go for about 10k more (low 30s) than 2015 428xi (low 20s). That's pretty close to 50% of the cost of the '15 428xi, so I'm trying to decide it it's worth it for one year newer and the 6 cyl engine.

One other question regarding mileage. As I mentioned I don't put a lot of miles on my car...only about 6k/year. So I was considering going with a higher mileage car since I would get a better deal, and the mileage would become more in line after I had it for a couple years. That said, I'm wondering if there is a point at which the likelihood for repairs or even just bigger maintenance items makes it more sensible to just pay a few grand more for a lower mileage option? Put another way, am I being foolish to consider a 50k mile BMW over a 25k mile option for a couple grand more?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #35
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

How would you rate the 4 series for general reliability? pretty good and you shouldn’t have many issues
Is CPO worth the premium or should I go with a 3rd party extended warranty? you get the CPO with the certified Pre-owned vehicle BUT it is not the equivalent of the original 4/50 in what it covers. You may want to consider the optional maintenance coverage too if it’s a low mileage car. . Definitely look into a long term addition to the CPO if you don’t like surprises.
As an Android user I know BMW doesn't support Android Auto, but can I at least use spotify?no experience with this
Are run flat tires really as bad as people say?i don’t hate them. I have them on all three of my cars and think they are fine. No, they do not ride as well as non run flats.
What options or features would you consider must haves?blind spot, parking sensors, m-sport and Harmon/Kardon
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #36
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by md222 View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I've been keeping an eye on inventory as it pops up on various used car sites. There really aren't a lot of 2016 435xi out there which I guess is to be expected as they are only three years old. The ones I've seen seem to go for about 10k more (low 30s) than 2015 428xi (low 20s). That's pretty close to 50% of the cost of the '15 428xi, so I'm trying to decide it it's worth it for one year newer and the 6 cyl engine.

One other question regarding mileage. As I mentioned I don't put a lot of miles on my car...only about 6k/year. So I was considering going with a higher mileage car since I would get a better deal, and the mileage would become more in line after I had it for a couple years. That said, I'm wondering if there is a point at which the likelihood for repairs or even just bigger maintenance items makes it more sensible to just pay a few grand more for a lower mileage option? Put another way, am I being foolish to consider a 50k mile BMW over a 25k mile option for a couple grand more?
They're really different cars you're comparing. BMW straight sixes are beautiful engines, the 4 pot feels and sounds totally different, and of course is less powerful.

The upshot of more power is that the car feels lighter as well as power. If you drive both you will feel two very distinct experiences.

As for mileage.. I wouldn't worry too much about anything 50k or less. Like most cars, they test everything to destruction and anything that doesn't quite easily cope with 100k wear and tear will be improved. Obviously all cars have their known issues despite this, but reliability is very good indeed. Some may disagree... But proof is easy. Goto a couple of after market warranty providers sites and get a quote, you will see 2-3 years comprehensive warranty on either car example you give will be very affordable, and of course those guys know the real world likelihood of an expensive problem when they set their prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #37
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:

I picked up a new F36 440i GC last May and what a car and what an engine it has is all I'll say. Power, noise and smile factor in abundance.
When I've had a 20i as a loaner, it's the sound which is a bit lacking in comparison, perhaps a bit tappety almost diesel like.
Don't get me wrong, a 420/428/430i will be plenty quick enough for most people, but for me it's more about how it goes than the overall speed. Clearly a 435/440 will be quicker all round too, and once it gets above ~4000rpm it screams into the 7000rpm red line, which is fun.
Here in the UK we don't get the X-drive 40i with roly poly suspension, which is also a bonus as the weather is pretty moderate in the south so no need.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #38
md222
Rep

Thanks for the comments. Guess I really need to decide whether I'll be ok with the 4 cylinder or will regret not going with the straight six. It's a decent chunk of change more...but I get why.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #39
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Guess I really need to decide whether I'll be ok with the 4 cylinder or will regret not going with the straight six. It's a decent chunk of change more...but I get why.
As per your earlier post in this thread, the 4 cylinder 0-60 and other stats are not slow, certainly fast enough to make good progress, and at the end of the day you're hardly ever going to floor it from the stop lights.

The big difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder, however is felt in day to day driving. In the 4, in the right gear at the right speed it can feel pretty punchy. In the 6, it feels like that punch is always there. Just little things like accelerating from 40mph to 70mph to pass a slower vehicle, become effortless and... more satisfying for me.

I suppose in the end, you're paying extra for the luxury of knowing that adequate power is always on hand. The good news is that a lot of people like that luxury too, so whatever premium you pay for the 6 cylinder, you will largely see back when you sell/trade.

Lastly, you're simply not getting the true BMW experience without the straight six It's a joyful engine!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 08:35 AM   #40
BuefordTjustice
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 435 Gran Coupe xdrive

I'm not a reasonable person, but when I got in the 4 cylinder and floored it, I just laughed. Sure the 4 cylinder is good for a normal person, but the power is nowhere near as effortless as the straight 6
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #41
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuefordTjustice View Post
I'm not a reasonable person, but when I got in the 4 cylinder and floored it, I just laughed. Sure the 4 cylinder is good for a normal person, but the power is nowhere near as effortless as the straight 6
Yup, night and day. To the point that two otherwise near identical BMW's feel like different cars. Anyone who's taken their six cylinder in for a service and been given a 4 cylinder to use in the mean time will know how true this is! Take away that casual, constant torque and the car suddenly feels larger and heavier.

For me the inline 6 cylinder engines are a key part of what makes BMW great. And it's also inline with how BMW defined itself as a brand, they're perceived as fast cars, so it's a bit of a let down if they're not. Then they started making cheaper versions of the same cars, with more economical, cheaper engines. It's like if Rolex started to make £200 watches... Sure, it's great you can suddenly afford one... But an enthusiast is likely to not consider it being the real deal. So if you wanna buy a beemer as an enthusiast, a car lover, stick with the 6 cylinder lineup. The 4 cylinders were created for travelling sales reps and fleet cars for middle managers, not enthusiasts.

I might get some flack for saying the above... I accept that the 28i cars are still pretty nippy, but not nippy enough to be as effortlessly punchy and quick as most people would demand from a brand that claimed they make the 'Ultimate Driving Machine'

I also accept that BMW have never come close to making a road legal 'ultimate driving machine' in reality, but that's another topic!
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #42
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Yup, trying to find 'the right' BMW is nightmare. I just wanted a 430d GC, with msport+ (easy, so many have it), and adaptive suspension. Pretty much anything else I was open minded about, including colour lol. I still struggled!!

Turns out a lot of people that select msport+ are less likely to select adaptive suspension...

Long story short, I ended up with a very lovely car that sadly DOES NOT have adaptive suspension, but does park itself and has a fair few other options that I do enjoy.

I'm very happy with my car, but this isn't the first time I set strict must have options when buying a used German car, but in the end gave up and just bought the best I could

Same when car shopping for BMW's with friends, they always compromise on something..
Congratulations on finding the right car minus one option. M Adaptive suspension, while appealing, isn't necessarily the best suspension. There are many aftermarket coilovers with better design and compression / rebound behavior credentials.

The Suspension forum has countless threads on this subject. Take a look at Ohlins R&T design specifications, forum members' feedback, and you will find the even passive suspensions can be excellent.
Appreciate 1
movietub100.50
      01-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #43
Ghosted
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i GC

I have a 2015 435i GC.. you will want to go with the 435 and the i6. The i4 is great, but why settle if you are making the change? The i6 will make you feel like you upgraded infinitely without even modding it. If you mod it you have a 10 sec car lol that can haul groceries! Seriously though absolute joy to drive, after 43k miles on mine I still find that every time I push the button it’s an experience that leaves me feeling satisfied, excited, exhilarated. You don’t want a BMW unless you want all that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #44
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
After a year or so of research I have finally zeroed in on the 4 series Gran Coupe for my next vehicle. I only have one car and was drawn to the GC due to its combination of sportiness and versatility as a daily driver. I don't drive that many miles, usually only 6k/year. I live in NY so all wheel drive is a desirable feature. Budget wise, I'm looking at a 428xi or 435xi from 2015 or 2016. I've done some research but haven't really been able to identify any major differences between these two model years. If there is nothing noteworthy, I guess the question would be whether to pony up for the extra horsepower of the 435 or if the base four cylinder and its 5.7 second 0-60 time is sufficient. For comparison, I'll be coming from a 1999 Honda Accord V6 that does it in 8 seconds...so I should notice a huge improvement regardless. A few other questions:
  • How would you rate the 4 series for general reliability?
  • Is CPO worth the premium or should I go with a 3rd party extended warranty?
  • As an Android user I know BMW doesn't support Android Auto, but can I at least use spotify?
  • Are run flat tires really as bad as people say?
  • What options or features would you consider must haves?
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Quote:
After a year or so of research I have finally zeroed in on the 4 series Gran Coupe for my next vehicle. I only have one car and was drawn to the GC due to its combination of sportiness and versatility as a daily driver. I don't drive that many miles, usually only 6k/year. I live in NY so all wheel drive is a desirable feature. Budget wise, I'm looking at a 428xi or 435xi from 2015 or 2016. I've done some research but haven't really been able to identify any major differences between these two model years. If there is nothing noteworthy, I guess the question would be whether to pony up for the extra horsepower of the 435 or if the base four cylinder and its 5.7 second 0-60 time is sufficient. For comparison, I'll be coming from a 1999 Honda Accord V6 that does it in 8 seconds...so I should notice a huge improvement regardless. A few other questions:
  • How would you rate the 4 series for general reliability?
    Cant comment yet bc I am a recent owner
  • Is CPO worth the premium or should I go with a 3rd party extended warranty?
    I would shoot for CPO if you can get it but if you find the right car without it go for it
  • As an Android user I know BMW doesn't support Android Auto, but can I at least use spotify?
    Spotify is on my bmw apps version: 2018 440i GC
  • Are run flat tires really as bad as people say?
    No, and they have come a long way. I had them on 2006 330i and they were poor feel and loud. The ones on my 2018 440i seem fine and the advantage of not needing a spare is nice.
  • What options or features would you consider must haves?
    M sports pack was a requirement for me for exterior and interior sportiness. Heads up display was a strong want for me.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Answers to questions inline above. To answer the 4/6 cyl question, my feeling is 6 is worth it for the stronger pull in the highway. Both 4 and 6 will accel well from a stop. If you are indifferent that may mean the 4 is a good option and use the money savings to get other options in your budget such as M sport, etc

Good luck
Appreciate 0