F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Harman Kardon retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

03-22-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Harman Kardon retrofit

Hello does anyone install a HK sound system?
I have stock sound and 609 Navi that will be NBT.

I saw some japanese that the price depends on you're actual system.

I found the 12 speakers and 2 ampli but no cables.

Didn't buy it yet because I wanna be sure that I can install it withning no problems.

Any ideas or DIY?

Thanks
      03-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy_gigel View Post

Didn't buy it yet because I wanna be sure that I can install it withning no problems.

Any ideas or DIY?

Thanks
I have a HK System and would look at an aftermarket System before doing a HK retrofit.

BTW, you would get more traction if this was moved to proper forum.
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
I have a HK System and would look at an aftermarket System before doing a HK retrofit.

BTW, you would get more traction if this was moved to proper forum.
I' m sorry. I don't know where is the proper forum, I hope some admin will change it

Give me an idea, what kind of system. Better than HK? Any brads , links to check it out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Tom@FieldsBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: All Models

https://www.bavsound.com/

for speaker upgrades
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I' m sorry. I don't know where is the proper forum, I hope some admin will change it

Give me an idea, what kind of system. Better than HK? Any brads , links to check it out.

Thanks
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=426

Integral Audio, bavsound and Bimmertech would be most popular.

Last edited by Kabrich; 03-22-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom@FieldsBMW View Post
https://www.bavsound.com/

for speaker upgrades
Imposible to buy from bavsound. I live in Spain. The Norway dealer has no website, the Switzerland ... Only by phone and the Turkey website isn`t working
      03-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
slief
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

As mentioned above, spare yourself the trouble of going down the HK path. I have the HK system and it's lacking in my opinion and has me thinking about upgrading it. Sadly the HK system is much more difficult to upgrade than the HIFI system. It uses different cabling from the head unit. To go to HK from HIFI, you would need the fiber cable from front to rear, you would need the correct AMP and you would also need to code your car. I am sure there are other things you would need to do but in the end, it's not worth the effort when you can do a MUCH better upgrade with less effort. Integral Audio has some great options for your car that would be a much bigger improvement over the HK system. A harness for the factory amp to provide additional outputs, an amp, speakers to replace your existing ones, crossovers as well as a sub for the trunk would transform your system in a big way where as HK would leave you wondering if it was worth the trouble.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Imposible to buy from bavsound. I live in Spain. The Norway dealer has no website, the Switzerland ... Only by phone and the Turkey website isn`t working
I also live in Spain and I bought my bavsound speakers and Bimmertech amp.

Bavsound have no problem shipping from the US to Spain. You'll have to pay customs duty, but otherwise it's no problem.
      03-24-2017, 04:29 AM   #9
sweet coffee
Rep
Drives: 340i M Performance MPPSK

As of February 2017 Bavsound no longer ships internationally. You were lucky to order before the cut off date. Which by the way was not very fair nor friendly as they never informed they would stop international orders. Begining of February they were quoting prices & offering free shipping on international orders (to Belgium) and when I tried to place the order a week later they refused it.

Now if you really want it, there are companies, type of middle men, who would collect the goods from Bavsound and take care of the int'l shipping to you.

I have the HK system and I confirm it is ok (rating 6.5 / 10) but lacks in clarity, midrange quality, and no truebase.

I regret having opted for it. You can do better in the aftermarket.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

blueboy_gigel We have no problem shipping to Spain. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. You have the HiFi system now, correct?

slief & Kabrich: We've worked extremely hard to put together what we believe is hands down the best possible audio upgrade at maximum value, and I very much appreciate you mentioning us. Thank you!

And slief, don't despair - we're working on our Soundstage™ for harman/kardon equipped vehicles, should be ready within a few months.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:

Any ideas or DIY?

Thanks
If you are upgrading from standard version (without HiFi amp), you can buy the plug-n-play harness, which includes the fiber optic cable (to connect to NBT headunit) and power cable (to get power from fusebox).

If you are upgrading from Sport/M Sport version (with HiFi amp), you can simply just buy the fiber optic cable to connect H/K amp and NBT headunit. You can then using some suitable wire to connect the H/K amp plug (20pin) with the original HiFi amp plug (42pin).

F30 H/K system have 16 speakers and a 600W amplifier.

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 420da

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
I have retrofitted the HK System. All like OEM und its so much better then the Hifi System.

Its not the best System in the world, but if you want a digital System, the possibility to change the equalizing and have Surround do it!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

As many others have said and will say, do not waste your time or money on the garbage HK!
Appreciate 1
Kabrich354.00
      03-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #14
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhforyou View Post
I have retrofitted the HK System. All like OEM und its so much better then the Hifi System.

Its not the best System in the world, but if you want a digital System, the possibility to change the equalizing and have Surround do it!
L7 Surround distorts the music via phasing.

The People that like it do so because it makes the sound come from all over while distorting the music to do so.

No different than going to see a concert in a "shed" as artists and managers call the outdoor amphitheaters compared to the acoustics of Carnegie Hall or Radio Music Hall in NYC...or the incredible redesigned LA Forum where music mogul Irving Azoff redesigned the Interior for proper music and Superstars can't stop raving about now.

Unfortunately, an auto is just a crappy platform for great stereo, especially soundstaging, so the only way to "transform" the interior is by playing with the phasing/audio which then plays games with the actual sound.

Sadly, because of these sheds, MP3, computer speakers and hearing loss from headphones, we have a massive population of people that have no idea what they are missing.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #15
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integral Audio View Post
blueboy_gigel We have no problem shipping to Spain. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. You have the HiFi system now, correct?

slief & Kabrich: We've worked extremely hard to put together what we believe is hands down the best possible audio upgrade at maximum value, and I very much appreciate you mentioning us. Thank you!

And slief, don't despair - we're working on our Soundstage™ for harman/kardon equipped vehicles, should be ready within a few months.
Hello I don`t have the HIFI system. I have the stock sound that will be 4 speakers and 2 woofers underseat.

The car is equiped with 609 Professional Navigation but the sound is really poor.

So I need the speakers (6) tweeters (4) woofers (2) and 1 amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
L7 Surround distorts the music via phasing.

The People that like it do so because it makes the sound come from all over while distorting the music to do so.

No different than going to see a concert in a "shed" as artists and managers call the outdoor amphitheaters compared to the acoustics of Carnegie Hall or Radio Music Hall in NYC...or the incredible redesigned LA Forum where music mogul Irving Azoff redesigned the Interior for proper music and Superstars can't stop raving about now.

Unfortunately, an auto is just a crappy platform for great stereo, especially soundstaging, so the only way to "transform" the interior is by playing with the phasing/audio which then plays games with the actual sound.

Sadly, because of these sheds, MP3, computer speakers and hearing loss from headphones, we have a massive population of people that have no idea what they are missing.
I had L7 in my old e65 and that was awesome canīt compare it with the garbage that I have right now.
      04-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #16
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

By thay way I can find this forum on tapatalk
      04-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #17
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

blueboy_gigel, I noticed you live in the South coast of Spain. I am more than happy to demo my set-up to you if you can meet me down where I live.

I have a Bavsound Stage 1, but I also have a Bimmertech amp and NBT upgrade as mentioned before. I also plan to eventually upgrade the woofer but time and baby have got in the way of that.

Let me know if you are ever near Marbella and we can meet up.

Cheers!
      01-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #18
bateman1234
Rep
Drives: E90

I'm considering an speaker upgrade from "base audio" underseats to Harman Kardon underseats. Anyone share if it's even worth it? Or should I look for some other options?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If you have the base audio system there's no point, you don't have enough power.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #20
catc_me
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M550d

Does it works
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #21
blueboy_gigel
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
blueboy_gigel, I noticed you live in the South coast of Spain. I am more than happy to demo my set-up to you if you can meet me down where I live.

I have a Bavsound Stage 1, but I also have a Bimmertech amp and NBT upgrade as mentioned before. I also plan to eventually upgrade the woofer but time and baby have got in the way of that.

Let me know if you are ever near Marbella and we can meet up.

Cheers!
Hello I live in Motril, I'm sorry I left the thread. I ended up with bavsound speakers and a stage and a third subwoofer in the trunk. It's sounding pretty good, but I'm still missing something. When the pandemic is over, we can meet in Marbella. Send me a message with your number
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #22
howe9191
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2013 F30 328i

Garage List
2012 M6 F13  [10.00]
2013 bmw f30  [10.00]
I have retrofitted 674 Harman Kardon amp 360W to my F30 with hifi 676. Just plug and play.

I noticed the rear speaker sound and center channel is lower in volume compare to front speakers.

I coded the audiosystem to hifisystem harman kardon but no difference.

Any other parameter need to code?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0