F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > For those with MMI box, is there a way to get rid of the static sound?
ARMA SPEED

12-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
ImmDanny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro

For those with MMI box, is there a way to get rid of the static sound?

Installed the andream MMI box last night, it works well and I'm happy to finally have CarPlay again. I know it takes the audio through AUX, and I know AUX inputs can sometimes have static or interference which causes a low humming sound. I'm curious if there is a way to mitigate this sound? I only notice it if I have my volume up high and there is no music playing or the song is quieter.

For reference I have a 2014 335i, I did not have to plug the 3.5mm cable into the AUX port in the center console, I was able to get it through the quad lock.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Was this resolved? Similar position at the moment and all posts relating to this don’t have any responses.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
sbrook02
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
Installed the andream MMI box last night, it works well and I'm happy to finally have CarPlay again. I know it takes the audio through AUX, and I know AUX inputs can sometimes have static or interference which causes a low humming sound. I'm curious if there is a way to mitigate this sound? I only notice it if I have my volume up high and there is no music playing or the song is quieter.

For reference I have a 2014 335i, I did not have to plug the 3.5mm cable into the AUX port in the center console, I was able to get it through the quad lock.
What are your volume settings for the mmi box and AUX? Your may need to keep the mmi volume low and increase AUX volume for better results.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrook02 View Post
What are your volume settings for the mmi box and AUX? Your may need to keep the mmi volume low and increase AUX volume for better results.
12 for the MMI is the sweet spot, any more and it becomes distorted across the AUX volume range.

Any lower and the static becomes further predominant when increasing AUX volume. Found it to be on the contrary, that lower AUX volume reduces the background static, but is still there.

Volume on aux can be anything between 25%-60%, dependent on mood/time of day etc
Appreciate 0