F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Google Pixel Phone -- Finally an iPhone Killer?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #23
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Dont worry samsung will get there owns software also. They announced it. But who knows when.
Samsung would commit mobile suicide if they went completely away from Android, they have tried it before.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #24
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Samsung would commit mobile suicide if they went completely away from Android, they have tried it before.
Yeah it would be quite difficult getting developers to write their apps for a 3rd platform.
      10-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #25
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
very enticing... that 15 min charge is pretty incredible

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...res-comparison
You do realize part of the issue of flaming Samsung phones are these fast charging systems. Also fast charge has a down side, it wear out the battery faster, how, the faster you charge and discharge the hotter the bettery get and heat is bad for batteries long term. But Android world does not care it just means you will be replacing the phone in less than 2 yrs due to poor battery life. Otherwise, known as planned obsolescent. Kind like GM did back in the 60's and 70's with cars falling apart.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #26
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
very enticing... that 15 min charge is pretty incredible

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreak...res-comparison
I hate to do this, but it way under performs the iphones, that is a real killer there. And it will only get worse over time as android bloats up over time.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/647013

In contrast, the Apple iPhone 7 link textmultiple core score is around 5600 regardless of model, with a single core score of around 3430.

For comparison, the iPhone 6s Plus has a multiple core benchmark of 4106, and a single core rating of 2508.

Last edited by Maestro; 10-05-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #27
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
You do realize part of the issue of flaming Samsung phones are these fast charging systems. Also fast charge has a down side, it wear out the battery faster, how, the faster you charge and discharge the hotter the bettery get and heat is bad for batteries long term. But Android world does not care it just means you will be replacing the phone in less than 2 yrs due to poor battery life. Otherwise, known as planned obsolescent. Kind like GM did back in the 60's and 70's with cars falling apart.

Mark my words Apple with have fast charging in a year or two.

I noticed no difference in battery life on my Nexus 6P after a year of use, always fast charged.

I mean, even a 2 year old "worn out" battery on a high end Android device is still going to last longer than an iPhone anyway lol.
      10-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #28
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

Really hard to find a iPhone killer. I mean iPhone has been iPhone for a long time, just adding numbers at the end. It gets a few new things added to it and bam we got iPhone 8 and so on.

With Android, it's such a big market that the iPhone is forced to battle with multiple Android devices across the platform not with just let's say the Samsung s lineup or note line up. For me it just isn't really a fair comparison.. That being said I love my Samsung S7 and been a android guy since Motorola razr came out.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:49 AM   #29
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojobmw_e90 View Post
Really hard to find a iPhone killer. I mean iPhone has been iPhone for a long time, just adding numbers at the end. It gets a few new things added to it and bam we got iPhone 8 and so on.

With Android, it's such a big market that the iPhone is forced to battle with multiple Android devices across the platform not with just let's say the Samsung s lineup or note line up. For me it just isn't really a fair comparison.. That being said I love my Samsung S7 and been a android guy since Motorola razr came out.
Yeah, in the end. Any Android fan does not want an "iPhone killer" anyway. I don't see why everyone forms this emotional attachment to what PHONE they use lol.

Both sides have equal pros and cons.
      10-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #30
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Huawei is a very high end phone maker in China by the way. And the Nexus showed it. They haven't quite broken into North America yet.
Huawei is known for cheap garbage in most Asian markets. They might be better these days but historically... garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
Well Google doesn't have a semiconductor fab so what do you expect them to do? Apple also outsources the manufacture of their phones...
Thank you for your reply but I don't care who makes them, I just don't care for Huawei products. I don't often buy Apple products either so your point about outsourcing is moot.
      10-05-2016, 09:01 AM   #31
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Mark my words Apple with have fast charging in a year or two.

I noticed no difference in battery life on my Nexus 6P after a year of use, always fast charged.

I mean, even a 2 year old "worn out" battery on a high end Android device is still going to last longer than an iPhone anyway lol.
Yeah there is right way to fast charge and the wrong way, the fact Apple is not doing it now, is due to they still working on the algorithm. There is lots of things which need to be monitored. In a past life I use to work on Laptop designs including batteries and the biggest issue always has been is charging and no over charging or over heating the battery, heat to batteries is bad. One issue I always seen with Android phone was the processors tend to over heat the battery. I used Android for 6 yrs so I have direct experience. Android phone tend to see battery life drop after 1 to 1.5 yrs and after 2 yrs the battery barely lasts a few hours under normal use.

I have Iphones in my house which are 3 yrs old which are still at 80% to 90% of being new.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #32
C1Boston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Uber

I've stuck with apple since the the 3GS (I think)...never had any battery issues or complaints and I usually keep my phone for the contract length (2 years). After I started using my watch the battery life has decreased a little but nothing crazy....Apple has never failed me so personally I have no reason to switch.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Yeah there is right way to fast charge and the wrong way, the fact Apple is not doing it now, is due to they still working on the algorithm. There is lots of things which need to be monitored. In a past life I use to work on Laptop designs including batteries and the biggest issue always has been is charging and no over charging or over heating the battery, heat to batteries is bad. One issue I always seen with Android phone was the processors tend to over heat the battery. I used Android for 6 yrs so I have direct experience. Android phone tend to see battery life drop after 1 to 1.5 yrs and after 2 yrs the battery barely lasts a few hours under normal use.

I have Iphones in my house which are 3 yrs old which are still at 80% to 90% of being new.
They aren't working on any algorithm. They are working on supply chain.

So many people think Apple somehow doesn't understand the technology Samsung uses and is playing catch up.

It's really more about suppliers, quality control, and ramping up production. Samsung sells a lot of phones, but not all of them have wireless charging for example.

Apple sold 231m iPhones in 2015, most of them being their premium flagship variety. Accordingly, all of them would need wireless charging, AMOLED display, fast charge, etc. Apple's biggest issue is supply chain.

Couple that with Apple actually testing its products before throwing it out there and you will have some lag on the latest technology you see in Samsung phones.

Samsung keeps upping their specs, but their chips are slow, their ram management is terrible, and batteries exploded in their flagship device causing a recall. Yes there were a couple one off iPhones catching fire, but those weren't charging and were probably just one off...one report was an iPhone 6s.

Bottom line is Apple will have a solution when it's ready and when it actually works. My Note has fast charging and the battery life is AWFUL. People with iPhones don't charge nearly as often.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #34
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Couple that with Apple actually testing its products before throwing it out there and you will have some lag on the latest technology you see in Samsung phones.
Remember antennagate?

Quote:
Bottom line is Apple will have a solution when it's ready and when it actually works. My Note has fast charging and the battery life is AWFUL. People with iPhones don't charge nearly as often.
You have a problem with your phone. "People with iPhones don't charge nearly as often" is a pretty ignorant comment.

iPhones (non Plus models) have horrific battery life right out of the box, how are you making this comparison?

Apple doesn't innovate much anymore because they don't have to. It's all marketing. Take the iPhone 7. Is it an upgrade from the 6s? Not really. But they'll still sell tons.

They're smarter than you think. They're capable of innovation but choose not to.
      10-05-2016, 09:33 AM   #35
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
And do you realize that the prev gen Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X have the exact same fast charging as the Pixel phones, and it works wonderfully with no "flaming Samsung" issues?

Also, do you realize the Google phones use USB-C technology for their method of fast charge, where the Samsung phones use the Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 standard (not even the latest 3.0).

My Nexus 5X is a year old and still charging and holding charge just as when I got it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:38 AM   #36
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Remember antennagate?

You have a problem with your phone. "People with iPhones don't charge nearly as often" is a pretty ignorant comment.

iPhones (non Plus models) have horrific battery life right out of the box, how are you making this comparison?

Apple doesn't innovate much anymore because they don't have to. It's all marketing. Take the iPhone 7. Is it an upgrade from the 6s? Not really. But they'll still sell tons.

They're smarter than you think. They're capable of innovation but choose not to.
Oh please...the iPhone 4 continued to sell unchanged until 2013. Most people never experienced issues. Apple offered a free case and <1% of owners actually complained about the issue.

I think Apple is the smartest company in the world. I never said I didn't think they were smart. I said there are many other factors than just, "why don't they innovate more?"

The other reason they don't just throw crap out is because they are making a phone for 230 million people/yr. They have to have an incredible user experience that is transferable between a massive amount of different people of all ages from all countries. A phone with a ridiculous, complicated design or form factor isn't going to happen. People calling for projectors, expandable and flexible screens, and other gimmick junk isn't going to happen.

Apple is focused on user experience like speed and ease of use. They made a giant upgrade to the camera to put it at least on par with Samsung and will probably be preferred after all the software upgrades they provide ALL users, not fragmented the way Android rolls updates. The iPhone 7 absolutely destroys Samsung in real world speed, benchmarks, video processing, games, you name it.

As far as battery life, my experience is anecdotal, probably like yours. I've owned several Androids and currently have a Note 5, which I will be replacing if not with an iPhone 7 Plus, with an iPhone 8. I'm officially done with Samsung as I've had 3 in a row with slow, laggy experience after a year, terrible battery life, and constant app crashes. Junk.

All of Samsung's "innovation" usually just turns into a spec sheet. All of the hardware specs are meaningless in the real world as shown by Apple's superior chips and ram management. 6GB of ram on some Android and still can't keep Apps open and ready as well as iPhone. Awesome "octacore" chips that are slower than A10 Fusion and a fragmented Android update process. My wife's S7 has Marshmallow and I have Lollipop for MONTHS? We still can't have Nougat?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #37
doogee
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh please...the iPhone 4 continued to sell unchanged until 2013. Most people never experienced issues. Apple offered a free case and <1% of owners actually complained about the issue.

I think Apple is the smartest company in the world. I never said I didn't think they were smart. I said there are many other factors than just, "why don't they innovate more?"

The other reason they don't just throw crap out is because they are making a phone for 230 million people/yr. They have to have an incredible user experience that is transferable between a massive amount of different people of all ages from all countries. A phone with a ridiculous, complicated design or form factor isn't going to happen. People calling for projectors, expandable and flexible screens, and other gimmick junk isn't going to happen.

Apple is focused on user experience like speed and ease of use. They made a giant upgrade to the camera to put it at least on par with Samsung and will probably be preferred after all the software upgrades they provide ALL users, not fragmented the way Android rolls updates. The iPhone 7 absolutely destroys Samsung in real world speed, benchmarks, video processing, games, you name it.

As far as battery life, my experience is anecdotal, probably like yours. I've owned several Androids and currently have a Note 5, which I will be replacing if not with an iPhone 7 Plus, with an iPhone 8. I'm officially done with Samsung as I've had 3 in a row with slow, laggy experience after a year, terrible battery life, and constant app crashes. Junk.

I will add, with my experience, the only good experience I've had with android was with a Nexus device.

Once Samsung etc take stock Android and mess with it, it's never smooth.

At the moment I'm in the Apple camp!
      10-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #38
Maestro
Major
Rep

Quote:
They aren't working on any algorithm. They are working on supply chain.

So many people think Apple somehow doesn't understand the technology Samsung uses and is playing catch up.

It's really more about suppliers, quality control, and ramping up production. Samsung sells a lot of phones, but not all of them have wireless charging for example.

Apple sold 231m iPhones in 2015, most of them being their premium flagship variety. Accordingly, all of them would need wireless charging, AMOLED display, fast charge, etc. Apple's biggest issue is supply chain.

Samsung keeps upping their specs, but their chips are slow, their ram management is terrible, and batteries exploded in their flagship device causing a recall. Yes there were a couple one off iPhones catching fire, but those weren't charging and were probably just one off...one report was an iPhone 6s.

I not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I think you believe Apple only ships technology which other companies develop or their suppliers come up with. As a person who work in R&D for a long time I can tell you about 50% of the time a supplier is the driver of the technology and the other 50% is companies like Apple driving the supply base to make what they designed. Apple does use off the self parts, but for key features they design in house and work with the supply base to make what they want how they want. I personally work with some of the same suppliers Apple uses and I can tell you, there are solutions which are available to Apple which are not available to any other company, I know I asked and been told no.

Apple does not rely on the market place to develop technology, they develop lots of it in house.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #39
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I not sure if you were agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I think you believe Apple only ships technology which other companies develop or their suppliers come up with. As a person who work in R&D for a long time I can tell you about 50% of the time a supplier is the driver of the technology and the other 50% is companies like Apple driving the supply base to make what they designed. Apple does use off the self parts, but for key features they design in house and work with the supply base to make what they want how they want. I personally work with some of the same suppliers Apple uses and I can tell you, there are solutions which are available to Apple which are not available to any other company, I know I asked and been told no.

Apple does not rely on the market place to develop technology, they develop lots of it in house.
Yes, I agree. However, Apple doesn't make display technology for example. They need suppliers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #40
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:

All of Samsung's "innovation" usually just turns into a spec sheet. All of the hardware specs are meaningless in the real world as shown by Apple's superior chips and ram management. 6GB of ram on some Android and still can't keep Apps open and ready as well as iPhone. Awesome "octacore" chips that are slower than A10 Fusion and a fragmented Android update process. My wife's S7 has Marshmallow and I have Lollipop for MONTHS? We still can't have Nougat?
I am going to challenge this because it's just wrong. First, Samsung is not the only non-Apple phone out there. I agree that Samsung makes a lot of junk, but they make some gems. However, judging all other phones by the standard of Samsung is completely specious.

More importantly, your assertion that Apple cares about the user experience is pure bullshit. They don't care about innovation or development or improving the user experience. They care solely about not alienating the largest part of their user base and all their development is based on that very narrow focus. There are wildly superior user experiences in both the tablet and mobile space. Where Google and Android based UI developers are taking the best features from less popular operating systems like WP8.1/10 and BB10 and using them as inspiration for improving the user experience in their particular Android flavour, Apple continues on in a stodgy devotion to everything Johnny Ives thought was cool in 2006.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #41
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I am going to challenge this because it's just wrong. First, Samsung is not the only non-Apple phone out there. I agree that Samsung makes a lot of junk, but they make some gems. However, judging all other phones by the standard of Samsung is completely specious.

More importantly, your assertion that Apple cares about the user experience is pure bullshit. They don't care about innovation or development or improving the user experience. They care solely about not alienating the largest part of their user base and all their development is based on that very narrow focus. There are wildly superior user experiences in both the tablet and mobile space. Where Google and Android based UI developers are taking the best features from less popular operating systems like WP8.1/10 and BB10 and using them as inspiration for improving the user experience in their particular Android flavour, Apple continues on in a stodgy devotion to everything Johnny Ives thought was cool in 2006.
I'm not wrong. Apple/Samsung are the 2 big boys by market share and Apple single "iPhone" still sells much more than Galaxy/Note. People like iPhones because they are fast, easy to use, and durable. Apple's user experience IS better than Samsung and it really isn't close. I own Samsung phones and I'm fed up with its shitty implementation of Android. With the Note 7 recall, awful RAM management, over-speced and still slow phones, and fragmented updates, not sure what you're even arguing. Apple actually supports their devices and pushes updates to 90+% of their activated phones. iOS10 works all the way back to iPhone 5.

It's not for every user in every situation, but Apple owns the software/hardware and is a one stop shop for solutions. If you have problems with Samsung, it could be hardware (Samsung) or software (Android) and they NEVER talk to each other.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #42
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Not an iPhone killer because Apple has a cadre of devoted users who simply don't have any idea about the kinds of innovation in the mobile/tablet/wearable space that are out there and have no interest in finding out.
This.

Also, I wouldn't allow the lack of knowledge about Huwaei frighten you. They've been making good competitive electronics for a while now.
Although I tend to be a LG fan.
Considering the V20 or G6 to replace my current G5.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #43
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
It's a bit ironic that my 1.5 year old Samsung S6 has a failing battery now, but I've loved the fast charge feature. The performance and batter went downhill extremely fast, like over a weekend, and it runs horribly now.

Added the Verizon warranty a few weeks ago, so I'm just waiting a month or so to prevent it from being too suspicious. I'd gladly get another S6 though since I've loved the phone (haven't felt the urge to upgrade to the newer ones).

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #44
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
I'm not wrong. Apple/Samsung are the 2 big boys by market share and Apple single "iPhone" still sells much more than Galaxy/Note.
Fact checking tells otherwise. Samsung kills Apple phone sales:

You can find other quarters with equal splits. This was the most recent I could easily find.
Appreciate 0