F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 435 F36 rattle noise in low speeds - adaptive strut exchange
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
wandering_mike
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

435 F36 rattle noise in low speeds - adaptive strut exchange

Hi guys, I bougth a car that has a knocking/rattle at low speeds from the front axle, I changed the M adaptive shocks and the mounting and the problem was solved, I chose Bilstein shock absorbers:
23-266469 BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic®)
23-266476 BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic®)

but now I have a new problem, it's been two weeks, I've driven about 700km and the car is still looking like a jeep, could the service have done something wrong or is it gonna even out?
Thanks!
pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yzs...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by wandering_mike; 01-19-2024 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
Dobrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 455i xDrive convertible

Sorry, I can't help with an answer to your question, but I am curious did you figure out exactly what was creating the noise? Was it the adaptive shock itself or the mounting, or something else that was attached to it (like sway bar links)? And how many miles were on the car when this noise problem occurred?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:25 AM   #3
wandering_mike
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobrin View Post
Sorry, I can't help with an answer to your question, but I am curious did you figure out exactly what was creating the noise? Was it the adaptive shock itself or the mounting, or something else that was attached to it (like sway bar links)? And how many miles were on the car when this noise problem occurred?
Hey, the car had 123k kilometres, the BMW dealer was the only one who could figure it out, he says he sees it all the time but he wasnt sure if its the shocks or the mounting, or the combination so they always change both to be sure. My other BMW service guy came up with bunch of crazy ideas from steering rack to xdrive but I went with the shocks and the problem was gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:59 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering_mike View Post
Hi guys, I bougth a car that has a knocking/rattle at low speeds from the front axle, I changed the M adaptive shocks and the mounting and the problem was solved, I chose Bilstein shock absorbers:
23-266469 BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic®)
23-266476 BILSTEIN - B4 OE Replacement (DampTronic®)

but now I have a new problem, it's been two weeks, I've driven about 700km and the car is still looking like a jeep, could the service have done something wrong or is it gonna even out?
Thanks!
pic:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yzs...ew?usp=sharing
The vehicle's suspension is certainly higher than OEM. Unusual.

Is there a photo of the rear suspension?

Were the springs replaced as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:06 PM   #5
wandering_mike
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
The vehicle's suspension is certainly higher than OEM. Unusual.

Is there a photo of the rear suspension?

Were the springs replaced as well?
Hi, the springs were not replaced.
This is the best photo I have atm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:23 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

wandering_mike, thanks for the additional photo. There is definitely something not right with the suspension height.

Was the work performed by an authorized BMW dealer? Authorized BMW dealers rarely (if ever) install non OEM parts.

Do you know if the suspension parts (control arms) were tightened while the suspension was under load?

I sense a trip back to the shop where installation has been performed would be the next step.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 12:55 PM   #7
wandering_mike
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
wandering_mike, thanks for the additional photo. There is definitely something not right with the suspension height.

Was the work performed by an authorized BMW dealer? Authorized BMW dealers rarely (if ever) install non OEM parts.

Do you know if the suspension parts (control arms) were tightened while the suspension was under load?

I sense a trip back to the shop where installation has been performed would be the next step.
Thanks for your reply, the shop is specializing on new bmw, Audis etc but is not a bmw dealer I have no idea how they installed it but they already assured me there was no way to do it wrong and there is nothing they can do about it... The car is there again because of a new problem so I'll try to talk to them again about it 👍
Appreciate 0