F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Car rattling noises and alignment
Studio RSR

01-23-2024, 06:46 PM   #1
dtawf30
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

Car rattling noises and alignment

Hi guys.
I was having fun going sideways in my F30 330i last week and accidentally hit the gutter in a mainly parralel fashion. The back left wheel was bent inwards so I instantly knew something was wrong. Coincidentally I was going to get my exhaust tips welded on the next day at the shop so he checked it out and replaced the control arm from a wrecker near by. Everything was ok from this point however when I would go above around ~70km/hr I would hear rattling from the back left wheel and also the wheel wouldn’t be perfectly aligned. I thought initially I just needed new tyres as my tread was very bad, however after getting new tyres yesterday (and supposedly an alignment) I realised that the issues were still there (rattling noise exceeding 70km/hr and the wheel poorly aligned.

What do you guys think it is? I spoke to a mechanic over the phone and he thinks it has to do with the bushes. As the control arm was replaced but the bushes could still be shot. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 12:38 PM   #2
Dobrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 455i xDrive convertible

I hit a stone last winter with my rear left wheel when the car slid in a corner. Did not take any chances and replaced all rear control arms, trailing arm and so on (there are 4 or 5 of them). It was on my E92 but I think the rear suspension is very similar in the F series. Probably it was an overkill but didn't want to take any chances and got a very good deal on eBay for all used parts around $60.
In your case you might also have damaged the wheel bearing given that you hear a noise. It's also possible the wheel is touching something else while rotating. In my case, I drove home just 10 miles from where it happened and the rubber was peeled and eaten to the threads, because it was scraping into something.
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0