F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Adjustable Sway Bar End Links- Thumping?
Studio RSR

08-25-2023, 01:50 PM   #23
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
My entire setup and all components were chosen for Street Performance with maximum comfort since it’s our daily driver that we tak on trips.

I am running square 255/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that are only two months old. Yes, wider width soaks up bumps better. So does 18” sidewalls vs shorter sidewalls on 19”/20”. The MPS4S themselves are know for soaking up bumps/potholes. The difference was a dramatic improvement when I went from runflats to MPS4S.

I got a good baseline driving the new tires for weeks before the stock end links were swapped out for the KC Design end links. Then the thumping began. So I know that the issue has something to do with them: their adjustment, their construction, their design, a defective set, etc. Several possibilities that will have to be sorted.

So far I’ve heard from some guys who have the same end links as well as other brands. All report positive experiences with neutral ride and no thumping.
If the suspension is for street performance with maximum comfort, then the ride height shouldn't really be that different from stock +/- 10mm. If that's the case, you should be fine using the factory endlinks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #24
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
If the suspension is for street performance with maximum comfort, then the ride height shouldn't really be that different from stock +/- 10mm. If that's the case, you should be fine using the factory endlinks.
That assumption was not part of my mod design criteria. The drop is within the XDrive geometry range.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 08:35 PM   #25
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
How did you get those to fit? Are your Ohlins R&T coilover spring perches adjusted at their maximum preload setting?
Shorter front springs. 7” 450lb. Only a few mm of preload.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 05:40 PM   #26
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I just installed the KC Design adjustable front links. No clunking or any other new sounds (right now). Only issue is that I'm nearly maxed on length. Needed to adjust about an inch longer than stock to have them slide in. Ended up shortening them slightly, putting a little preload on the bar, to get a few more threads deep. Fixed my bump steer issues after lowering.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-09-2023, 09:40 PM   #27
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
I just installed the KC Design adjustable front links. No clunking or any other new sounds (right now). Only issue is that I'm nearly maxed on length. Needed to adjust about an inch longer than stock to have them slide in. Ended up shortening them slightly, putting a little preload on the bar, to get a few more threads deep. Fixed my bump steer issues after lowering.
Cool! What model do you have? How much did you lower?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 07:59 AM   #28
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Cool! What model do you have? How much did you lower?
340i, I forgot to do before measurements but should be around 1.5" lower.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 07:21 AM   #29
wishbone
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP, '14 F30 328i

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [9.00]
Hey John, long time no see

How loud is your knock, i made a separate unrelated post but I'm having some small knock after installing B14 coilovers and I'm wondering if mine was bushings or some other physical thing. I don't believe it's CV in mine... but never know

Think Duke is a real football team now, too

F30 328i 2014 / dinan sport kit / premium pkg / 6-speed / nav / hex trim / HK sound / B14 coilovers / oem roof rack / active autowerke exhaust / eventuri CAI

Last edited by wishbone; 09-15-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 11:00 PM   #30
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Hey John, long time no see

How loud is your knock, i made a separate unrelated post but I'm having some small knock after installing B14 coilovers and I'm wondering if mine was bushings or some other physical thing. I don't believe it's CV in mine... but never know

Think Duke is a real football team now, too
I wouldn’t describe the sound as a suspension knock. It’s a tire thump. It started after adjustable sway bar end links were installed so most likely some adjustment issue or something with the joints on the end links themselves.

I’d suggest trying to see if can isolate yours to a particular corner and then give it a good visual and physical inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 02:56 PM   #31
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Curious, what led you to adjustable end links in the first place? eibach pro kit is a small drop. Is it a big enough drop to cause sway bar geometry issues?
      01-27-2024, 03:37 PM   #32
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Curious, what led you to adjustable end links in the first place? eibach pro kit is a small drop. Is it a big enough drop to cause sway bar geometry issues?
I’m using the -05 Eibach kit now which drops about front 1.4”, rear 0.6”. So still within XDrive geometry.

And I have heavier than stock H&R front 28mm, rear 20mm sway bars installed. The stock end link lengths still fit. I just went to adjustable end links to be able to fine tune the length to be completely neutral with no load.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 03:01 PM   #33
sapphire black
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i

Quote:
I’m using the -05 Eibach kit now which drops about front 1.4”, rear 0.6”. So still within XDrive geometry.

And I have heavier than stock H&R front 28mm, rear 20mm sway bars installed. The stock end link lengths still fit. I just went to adjustable end links to be able to fine tune the length to be completely neutral with no load.
I think you’re on to it - need to shorten those a bit, similar issue in this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1974689

Apparently if you lengthen them too much, they hit against the control arm. As the poster above mentioned, they will still need to have a little bit of preload to them since they can’t be extended all the way

Last edited by sapphire black; 01-31-2024 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 12:53 PM   #34
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire black View Post
I think you’re on to it - need to shorten those a bit, similar issue in this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1974689

Apparently if you lengthen them too much, they hit against the control arm. As the poster above mentioned, they will still need to have a little bit of preload to them since they can’t be extended all the way
Thanks for the reply. Definitely something to consider. At this point I’m waiting until Spring to reinstall my summer wheels/tires. Then there may be a drive-on lift available so that the end links can be adjusted without the wheels hanging & needing to be jacked up individually to get them close to ride height.

BALL JOINTS?
I also had a thought that I wonder if the ball joints could be worn? I’m not sure what the symptoms might be if they were. I owned some VWs in the past that were riveted on. But the three rivets could be drilled out and a new ball joint bolted on. I haven’t seen that option with the F3x. Appears like the entire control arm must be replaced
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 05:09 PM   #35
sapphire black
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Definitely something to consider. At this point I’m waiting until Spring to reinstall my summer wheels/tires. Then there may be a drive-on lift available so that the end links can be adjusted without the wheels hanging & needing to be jacked up individually to get them close to ride height.

BALL JOINTS?
I also had a thought that I wonder if the ball joints could be worn? I’m not sure what the symptoms might be if they were. I owned some VWs in the past that were riveted on. But the three rivets could be drilled out and a new ball joint bolted on. I haven’t seen that option with the F3x. Appears like the entire control arm must be replaced
Did you ever get around to adjusting these? Is your thumping still there?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 06:48 PM   #36
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire black View Post
Did you ever get around to adjusting these? Is your thumping still there?
No I haven’t adjusted them yet. It’s different with my winter wheels and tires on. I’ll wait until my summer set is on and then see.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:45 PM   #37
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Not yet. I’m juggling several projects right now. I also want to drive on them some more to see if they soften up. My current thoughts are:

1) Maybe they just need adjustment? I have great faith in the guys who installed them and they’ve offered to adjust. But I want to investigate other ideas first.

2) Could just be normal? But I haven’t heard from other guys who’ve installed adjustable end links to know if that’s the case.

3) Perhaps it is just this brand? I bought the KC Design’s because FaRKle! recommended them and did an installation video featuring them. He also said that unlike others on the market, the KCD’s had dust covers to prevent dirt from getting into the joint and ruining it. No others had dust covers, although Hotchkis now appears to have dust covers too, but at a much higher price.

ANYONE WHO HAS INSTALLED ADJUSTABLE END LINKS OF ANY BRAND, PLEASE CHIME IN. THANKS!
I’ve got the same end links. No thumps or bumps.

1) Take off the wheel. Disconnect the end link at the bottom. Wheel back on
2) Drive the car up onto a ramp. Get under the ramp and make sure the bottom of the end link attaches to the anti roll bar at a 90 deg angle.
3) Measure the length of the end link
4) Wheel off again
5) Remove end link
6) Now adjust the end link body to be in the middle between the two connecting ball joints making sure the length stays the same as measured in step 3)
7) Reattach end link, check all control arms for looseness or pivoting.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 04-19-2024 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00