F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 brakes locking on
proTUNING Freaks

03-15-2023, 06:48 AM   #1
bryanbkk
Rep
Drives: F30 320D, CX-30, Latitude DCI

F30 brakes locking on

Hi all & grettings from Bangkok Thailand.
Apologies if this has been covered off on another thread.
2012 early production F30 320D sedan purchased second hand recently with dealer service history and 55,000km only.

On hills, of which luckily there aren't that many in Bangkok, the front brakes lock on and wont release when releasing the brake and onto the gas pedal.
Lots of impressive wheelspin and tyre smoke and they finally let go and off we go.
Dealer advised ABS module needed replacing at 3k usd plus labour (ouch) so I found a reconditioned one and had it fitted.
Problem still occurs - doh

Any sugegstions on a fix?

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 11:45 PM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbkk View Post
Hi all & grettings from Bangkok Thailand.
Apologies if this has been covered off on another thread.
2012 early production F30 320D sedan purchased second hand recently with dealer service history and 55,000km only.

On hills, of which luckily there aren't that many in Bangkok, the front brakes lock on and wont release when releasing the brake and onto the gas pedal.
Lots of impressive wheelspin and tyre smoke and they finally let go and off we go.
Dealer advised ABS module needed replacing at 3k usd plus labour (ouch) so I found a reconditioned one and had it fitted.
Problem still occurs - doh

Any sugegstions on a fix?

Many thanks,
BMWs include a feature that will lightly apply the brakes when raining to keep the brakes as dry as possible to improve brake responsiveness. If for any reason the feature were to fail it may be possible to adversely affect the brakes but this is the first time I've heard of it locking up the front wheels. Generally, when car systems aren't working as expected the default is to shut down and show an error. Have you had the car scanned? When you swapped out the ABS module, did you have the computer scanned?
      03-18-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
bryanbkk
Rep

F30 brakes locking on

Hi and thanks for your note.
Its the hill holder locking on - very dramatic in heavy traffic as you can imagine. I had the abs module changed by an independent. I dont think he has much diagnotic equipment however I'll re-visit and see if he can scan though.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I swapped the REM (rear electronics module) in an F30 and when viewing it in ESYS could see the car had not accepted a component within it. I went through the procedure to add in the component and all was fine after that.

If the tech has no access to this kind of diag tech he is going to be stuck fixing older cars. Take it to either BMW or a tech with the right tools.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:36 AM   #5
bryanbkk
Rep

F30 brakes locking on

Hi thaks for your reply.
Yes, I guess proper diagnosticsis alwats the way to go.
Damn expensive here in Thailand but it is what it is.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Freeware isn't expensive. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
And that's not the only one.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 06:36 AM   #7
bryanbkk
Rep

F30 brakes locking on

Bangkok major BMW dealer wanted the car for 5 days to diagnose the fault, and then said they may not be abe to diagnose it after all - huh?
Plus there would be a cost for any quote.
Ah yeah nah..
This is why BMW's here are giveaways after the warranty and service plan has expired.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 09:03 PM   #8
bryanbkk
Rep

Took the car to the BMW service centre in Bangkok. They had it for about a week and came back with a quote for 12,500 usd to replace the DSC pump, 90,000km oil change and some other work.
Naturally we said no thanks and picked the car up.
Drove out of the dealership to find dashbroard warning lights saying Flat Tyre Monitor(RPA) Failure, Unable to detect a possible flat tyre. Plus DCS warning lights on the dash advising Drive Moderately.
There was nothing wrong with the Flat Tyre Monitor before we took the car to them.
Have we been sabotaged for not going ahad with the xpensive repaur or are these items (Flat Tyre Monitor & DSC Pump) related?

Geez...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 03:47 PM   #9
EDBM1702
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d ED F30

Just wondering if you ever got this fixed? I have the same problem. Hill hold / Drive off assistant holds the brakes and won't release intermittently. Sometimes if you hit the brake again it releases but getting worse. Some people saying it could be master cylinder problem or the ABS/DSC pump but not showing any lights on dash
Appreciate 0