F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Tension strut rusted and stripped ball joint bolt
proTUNING Freaks

01-11-2024, 06:49 AM   #1
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Tension strut rusted and stripped ball joint bolt

Im trying to change control arms in a 2013 335i xdrive And the control arm bolts are rusted to the point the t40 torx on the end of the ball joint is useless and the bit just spins. I was able to break the nut lose enough to have the ball joint spinning now but can’t back the nut all the way out to remove the ball joint.

Have any of you had this situation and how did you get the ball joint nut off? I have a couple idea like cut a slot in the end for a flat head screwdriver to hold it or try to cut the nut off without damaging the carrier. But just wondering if there may be an easier solution. I suspect the nut will be pretty hard steel to cut. Anyone had luck with a bolt splitter?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 10:07 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Penetrating lubricant, then a cordless 1/2" drive imoact wrench?
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 11:38 AM   #3
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep

Tried that and the nut broke lose enough for the ball joint to spin but now I cannot hold the stud without the torx to get the nut off. I’ve been wire brushing threads and applying more lube every few hours now for a day and hopefully that will losen It enough to hold with what’s left of the torx splines
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

i believe heat, as in blow torch, helps as well but i usually don't like doing that.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2024, 08:46 PM   #5
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

You can try a right handed screw extractor set, as opposed to left handed. This is so you can put tension on the shaft clockwise, so you can remove the nut (counter clockwise). Use a BFH to get it on there.

Or, you can cut the ball joint shaft with a cut-off wheel, cutting the nut off.

Can you put tension back on the ball joint? Weight of vehicle, c-clamp, anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:07 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ObiJon View Post
You can try a right handed screw extractor set, as opposed to left handed. This is so you can put tension on the shaft clockwise, so you can remove the nut (counter clockwise). Use a BFH to get it on there.

Or, you can cut the ball joint shaft with a cut-off wheel, cutting the nut off.

Can you put tension back on the ball joint? Weight of vehicle, c-clamp, anything?
You're on the right track. For removing the nut when you're not going to re-use the tension strut, you want to apply a force so that the tapered part of the ball joint creates enough friction for a big 1/2 impact to be able to remove the nut.

For one of the two control arms, you can place a floor jack underneath and use the upward force of the floor jack to friction lock that tapered part.
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      01-11-2024, 10:18 PM   #7
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep

Thanks folks. I was actually looking for a left hand thread remover but I can’t find any at the local shop. Then after I got home I though a thread cutting tap may serve the same purpose and should be clockwise to insert it and may hold. Cutting it is still on the table and I borrowed a grinder with cutoff so I may just bite the bullet and do that since I’m not reusing anything. I just need to Be careful to not damage the mating surface for the nut when cutting. I was planning to
Cut along the side of the bolt to cat a side off the nut but stop short of going all the way through and finish with a chisel if possible

I tried to get pressure on the ball joint but it’s the one that sits on top with the bolt on the bottom so I can’t use a jack under it to close it up and I couldn’t get enough pressure with a clamp

I’ll give it a shot on the weekend an see where I end up. Thanks for the suggestions

Cheers
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 06:14 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcJetjockey View Post
Thanks folks. I was actually looking for a left hand thread remover but I can’t find any at the local shop. Then after I got home I though a thread cutting tap may serve the same purpose and should be clockwise to insert it and may hold. Cutting it is still on the table and I borrowed a grinder with cutoff so I may just bite the bullet and do that since I’m not reusing anything. I just need to Be careful to not damage the mating surface for the nut when cutting. I was planning to
Cut along the side of the bolt to cat a side off the nut but stop short of going all the way through and finish with a chisel if possible

I tried to get pressure on the ball joint but it’s the one that sits on top with the bolt on the bottom so I can’t use a jack under it to close it up and I couldn’t get enough pressure with a clamp

I’ll give it a shot on the weekend an see where I end up. Thanks for the suggestions

Cheers
If you don't plan on re-using that particular control arm and the ball joint is already free spinning, that means there is already space for PB Blaster to get in there and do its work. You could apply heat to the nut and then spray a bit of PB Blaster. Repeat. And then use the most powerful 1/2 impact gun you have at its maximum setting. This should take off the nut. I've never had issues with this particular control arm.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 12:35 PM   #9
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep

Thx but the big part of the problem is I can’t stop the ball from spinning I’ve tried a jack under the other arm
With a piece of wood pushing down on this arm using the other arm as a lever point for the wood

I even though about loading up the bushing end when it’s dropped down (tighten the bolt with the arm dropping as low as possible) so that when I apply upward pressure to steering knuckle it gets a little more resistance but the bushing is shot.

At this point the grinder is probably the best/fastest option

Funny thing is I’ve never had one of these bolts rusted so bad at the torx end that I couldn’t get a bit in there to hold them. (But I am just a weekend DIYer) This one was pretty disintegrated inside the torx and up the shaft to the nut it was just flaking apart but the nut is not rusted on the outside very much. The nut did back off with the impact until it got bound up on the rusty part of the bolt and that’s when it started spinning at the ball joint…and here we are.
LOL
But I do appreciate the suggestions and advice folks l
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:01 PM   #10
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

yup, just cut that f@ck#r off and put it out of it's misery!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 05:43 PM   #11
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep

Success!!!! Thanks folks for the advice. All buttoned up and headed for alignment.
🔧👊👍🍺🥴
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2024, 07:51 AM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcJetjockey View Post
Success!!!! Thanks folks for the advice. All buttoned up and headed for alignment.
🔧👊👍🍺🥴
Did you end up cutting it off?
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 09:45 PM   #13
AcJetjockey
Canada
Rep

Yes the one nut I cut through it on a diagonal to split it and then spin off. I did damage the threads on the ball joint shaft but didn’t care about that
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00