F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Just bought an F30. Do I have the famous steering knocking?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-17-2024, 11:25 AM   #1
Ageispolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335xi

Just bought an F30. Do I have the famous steering knocking?

I switched to an F30 335i after an older 335i and I love the car, but I cannot stand this low grade rattling that sounds like its the suspension. I have searched user posts and see that it very well could be this steering rack rattle that appears to be common, but I'm not sure. The sound is a very subtle popping, much like a bad shock, but much softer. I've done a test seen on youtube where I turn the wheel when the car is off and hear the click, and I do hear it.

I've been told by BMW that they don't hear anything, the steering wheel test means nothing, that the "steering damper fix" is a very specific fix for a certain few F30s in Europe only, that the sound I'm hearing on bumps wouldn't be from a steering rack, and that they've hardly replaced any steering racks before.

Everything they told me seems to go against what I've been seeing from user experiences.

I have a few days to figure out if I want to keep this car or return it to find a different f30 and my attempts at diagnosing it have failed, so I would appreciate any help from you all if possible. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:38 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What year is the vehicle? When was it built? How many miles? Is there a verifiable maintenance history?

I suggest to visit RealOEM and find the part number for the steering rack and learn if the part number has been superseded. Search for this part number and see if anything of interest comes up. It's a start ...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 01:47 PM   #3
Ageispolis
Private
Rep

Thanks its a 2015 built in November 2014 with about 44k miles and the previous owner did a fantastic job (as far as I can tell) taking car of the thing. I don't have all service records but the CarFax is packed with regularly scheduled maintenance, so I feel good about it.

I checked RealOEM and it appears that this steering part fix that you see in youtube videos isn't even there for this model, but the rack looks exactly the same. Maybe what the BMW tech was referring to when he said it doesn't fix US models?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_2071

Here's the fix I'm talking about. One of so many videos.

Here, he references part number 32106891974.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 04:21 PM   #4
Ageispolis
Private
Rep

This video shows the install but he mentions that the VSS (which is what I have) wont work with this mod. If that's true well I'm out a lot of money.

Appreciate 0