F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR Help
proTUNING Freaks

06-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
AlpineG30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530I

EGR Help

Hey all, new to the f30 forums but not new to BMW, just picked up a pretty clean 14' 328d with around 94k, wanted to get all service squared away and was getting the EGR cooler recall complete.

Upon picking up my car I had a notification of drivetrain malfunction and a check engine light. Service advisor looked into it to make sure it wasn't the dealers fault after replacing the cooler. They let me know that it was just a coincidence and the EGR valve is clogged with soot triggering the light.

They want to charge me ~$1000 which I really don't want to fork over. My question is I've heard of people doing EGR deletes all together or if there is a DIY to replace the valve or even clean it, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselEstorilF30 View Post
Hey all, new to the f30 forums but not new to BMW, just picked up a pretty clean 14' 328d with around 94k, wanted to get all service squared away and was getting the EGR cooler recall complete.

Upon picking up my car I had a notification of drivetrain malfunction and a check engine light. Service advisor looked into it to make sure it wasn't the dealers fault after replacing the cooler. They let me know that it was just a coincidence and the EGR valve is clogged with soot triggering the light.

They want to charge me ~$1000 which I really don't want to fork over. My question is I've heard of people doing EGR deletes all together or if there is a DIY to replace the valve or even clean it, any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is very easy to replace the valve. The valve itself is really not that expensive. My car uses security torx screws which you can order online. You will also need new compression rings for coolant lines. OEM uses one time rings, you can replace them with screw clamps when putting coolant lines back on. That is what dealer used when they replaced mine. And the valve is easily accessible without much removal of anything else.
Appreciate 1
AlpineG30113.00
      06-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Link to repair guide for my N47 vehicle, yours should be similar. I think EGR replacement is easier than brake fluid flush to be honest.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...valve/Gzez8dbQ
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
AlpineG30
Private First Class
Rep

Doesn't sound too hard of a job but it means I'll be out of a car for at least a week, then there's always the chance of screwing up the repair (bad memories of my E90 water pump DIY) and it would be nice to have the dealer warranty... I'm kinda split on what I should do
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I'd replace it, new or even used if confirmed good.
They're around $175 or so, and all BMW dealer parts come with their own warranty.

Doesn't look like a hard job. I have security torx screws too, so just have the tool with the hole in the middle.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I completely agree with Enabled

The job is not worth $1000. See this video - basically same car, except lucky Europeans get a regular torx screw instead of tamper torx one. Good to have, I ordered a set on Amazon for dirt cheap. But he basically removes the whole EGR. Your only steps are to disconnect coolant lines (you will lose a little bit of coolant) and reconnect them. And the electrical connector (it is a 2-step connector). I was testing my EGR and it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get the connector unplugged. Haha. The rest is easy. I am for DIY because my dealer screws something up every time they touch my car, it is better for my mental well being to do this myself.

Appreciate 2
AlpineG30113.00
haagm58809.50
      06-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go to RealOEM.com, type in your last 6 of VIN then search "EGR valve." My car was under warranty, so the dealer installed part number 11719886714, which is a remanufactured unit. That goes for $170-190 online, plus core charge which you will get back when you send your core back. The part number 11717810871 is a new part that goes for $290-300, and I don't think it has core charge. If you decide on new part, consider FCP Euro, I use them for my fluids and replaceables as they offer lifetime replacement guarantee. If this EGR fails in the future, they will replace it for free. So you got free insurance for the rest of your life. ECS tuning, other source I use for parts, has it a bit cheaper without lifetime replacement. Still $700 cheaper than the dealer. Have some Walmart branded distilled water, if you spill too much coolant and don't live in too cold of a climate, you can use that to top off. But your coolant loss will be minimal, dealer likely overfilled it anyways when they did your cooler (if they are anything like my dealer). We can be your resource for guidance if you choose to DIY. But the job is not worth what they ask. And you still get 12 month manufacturer warranty on the part. I wish you the best with your decision, I understand your priorities may be different and dealer charge may be worth it.
Appreciate 2
AlpineG30113.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      06-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

As mentioned above you can replace it or even clean it however I personally got the EGR deleted and the car remapped and haven't regretted it. Main reason for the delete was so I wouldn't have a problem again in the future and it was about the same price or cheaper than just getting it cleaned!
AlpineG30113.00
haagm58809.50
      06-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #9
AlpineG30
Private First Class
Rep

I really really appreciate all the advice, I called my go-to service advisor to see if he could talk down the parts department and he ended up getting me down to $482 taxes included, labor+parts, so I went ahead and did it so I can get the car back tomorrow morning. I usually am the DIY type at least I was back with my E90, but I paid $4500 cash for that car vs this F30 that I spent a lot of money on and would be beside myself if as much as broke a coolant line.
Appreciate 3
haagm58809.50
Fez_766.50
      06-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #10
rocksnap
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fez_7 View Post
As mentioned above you can replace it or even clean it however I personally got the EGR deleted and the car remapped and haven't regretted it. Main reason for the delete was so I wouldn't have a problem again in the future and it was about the same price or cheaper than just getting it cleaned!
My state will fine you $250,000 for ANY modification to the emissions system.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #11
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnap View Post
Quote:
Whoa definitely not worth taking that risk, things are a lot more lenient here in the UK and the car will still easily pass the annual inspection.

The EGR valve is clearly a massive design flaw though, there's endless threads about faults with it, never mind the whole recall debacle, if they got it right in the first place then it would be a different story.
      06-11-2020, 07:57 AM   #12
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselEstorilF30 View Post
I really really appreciate all the advice, I called my go-to service advisor to see if he could talk down the parts department and he ended up getting me down to $482 taxes included, labor+parts, so I went ahead and did it so I can get the car back tomorrow morning. I usually am the DIY type at least I was back with my E90, but I paid $4500 cash for that car vs this F30 that I spent a lot of money on and would be beside myself if as much as broke a coolant line.
Thank you for the update, that is definitely a more reasonable quote. I probably would have agreed myself if the difference were only $100-150 for the sake of time and convenience. Assuming $250 charge for parts (valve, coolant, o-ring), $150-200 for labor, plus taxes and fees, sounds more or less reasonable. Both our diesels in the household had EGR replaced under warranty before they reached 40K miles. One vehicle had EGR sticking, the other was letting sooty exhaust seep out and deposited on the outside of the valve. The US N47's have electromechanical EGR, unlike vacuum powered EGR in EU N47's, so I think electronic EGR is less reliable overall. I think the best thing to do would be to tune EGR out without removing it, if you wanted to go that route. That way you're not self incriminating yourself by blatantly removing it. As long as you have AdBlue SCR system, the car can maintain EPA/CARB emissions standards with specific tunes that can reduce dependence on EGR at the expense of increasing AdBlue while still maintaining environmentally friendly vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #13
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Have you noticed an increase in diesel fuel smell after the EGR delete? Any downsides to doing this?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@Eugene yep, that's what I did, the EGR valve is still there but blanked off and tuned out. I didn't realise the EU & US EGR's were different
      06-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #15
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
Have you noticed an increase in diesel fuel smell after the EGR delete? Any downsides to doing this?
Nope, not noticed any negative effects whatsoever, only positive in that it's completely stopped the jerking/hesitation that I was getting in the low rev range (which only started after the EGR Cooler recall!). Not noticed any issues with the DPF either. I even got ever so slightly more BHP on the dyno than I was expecting although that's not the reason I went for it so I guess that was a bonus.

EDIT: actually upon getting it deleted and tuned the car was showing Engine Management Light but this was due to a boost leak which was fixed straightaway, no more codes, EML or issues at all ever since.
haagm58809.50
      06-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #16
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nope, not noticed any negative effects whatsoever, only positive in that it's completely stopped the jerking/hesitation that I was getting in the low rev range (which only started after the EGR Cooler recall!). Not noticed any issues with the DPF either. I even got ever so slightly more BHP on the dyno than I was expecting although that's not the reason I went for it so I guess that was a bonus.

EDIT: actually upon getting it deleted and tuned the car was showing Engine Management Light but this was due to a boost leak which was fixed straightaway, no more codes, EML or issues at all ever since.
That's great, thank you for the insights. So you had the EGR and DPF deleted?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
Fez_7
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:

That's great, thank you for the insights. So you had the EGR and DPF deleted?
No no just EGR but was saying I've not noticed any adverse effect on the DPF as a result.
haagm58809.50
      06-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #18
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No no just EGR but was saying I've not noticed any adverse effect on the DPF as a result.
Ah thank you, that's good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:24 PM   #19
Natesmith317
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw e60 M5

Egr tamper proof torx

Not that care of its tamper proof, but does anyone have a source for the bold that holds the egr value on? Dropped one and can't find it…

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
Link to repair guide for my N47 vehicle, yours should be similar. I think EGR replacement is easier than brake fluid flush to be honest.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...valve/Gzez8dbQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnap View Post
Good ol' commie Connecticut. Yeah its a pretty hefty fine, but they would have a hard time proving it.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:44 PM   #21
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesmith317 View Post
Not that care of its tamper proof, but does anyone have a source for the bold that holds the egr value on? Dropped one and can't find it…

Thanks!!
Found it, i think.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4582

Pretty sure its #8 on this list.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0