F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > LSD in an F30 LCI 330d?
GetBMWParts

05-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
Hausmeister Florian
NeedthePPK.
Germany
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 LCI 330d PPK S-Line

LSD in an F30 LCI 330d?

Hi all,

I never understood until now how it is that even though the M3 has much much more power than the 330d, how it is able to put down all that power on 2 wheels, where are the 330d cant, despite fitting damn close to the same tires on the M3 and much less power to start with.

I figured it must be the LSD that comes standard in the M3. It got me thinking, has an aftermarket LSD ever been fitted to an F30, or more specifically to a 330d?

Also, I heard that all sports transmissions have Electronic LSD built in, but apparently it only works when in DTC mode, and not in sport or sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hausmeister Florian View Post
I figured it must be the LSD that comes standard in the M3. It got me thinking, has an aftermarket LSD ever been fitted to an F30, or more specifically to a 330d?

Also, I heard that all sports transmissions have Electronic LSD built in, but apparently it only works when in DTC mode, and not in sport or sport plus.
Don't know about 330d, but they've definitely been fitted to 335d (here in the USA/CA). You usually have to special order them due to the unique gearing of the diesels.

ADB (Automatic Differential Braking) is active at all times, and serves as an electronic diff (ediff). It's on all BMWs, not just sport transmission/package.

The only time it doesn't operate is when you defeat it by holding the DTC button (actually it's the DSC button) for 6-10 seconds and deactivating the DSC system.
Appreciate 0