F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Intro post/hello!
Studio RSR

11-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Sedds
F30 Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340ix

Intro post/hello!

So, not really sure where to put this as there doesn't seem to be a dedicated space. But hi, I'm Bill! I purchased a cpo 2017 340ix w/ 30K miles a few weeks ago and am loving the car. I live in southeast CT and got the car from BMW of Sudbury up in Mass. I probably spent the better part of 18 months trying to find a 340 or Audi S4 that I liked (was biased toward the 340 though), and finally found one!

I'm coming from a bolted/tuned 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 that was a blast to drive and very..."raw" compared to the 340. I'll miss the third pedal, but can't get over how fast this thing shifts. I also appreciate the comfort vs. the Mazda. They aren't even close.

I've been lurking through these threads for a while and noticed a lot of people complain about the "floaty-ness" of the x drive and vague steering. I'm planning on putting 245/40 sticky rubber on the 400m wheels (square), but what else do you guys do to improve the agility of the car? I've heard very mixed opinions about springs and a lot of people seem to say putting them on is not worth the tradeoff in shock/strut life. I don't see myself going the Dinan route, but I suppose it's a possibility down the line.

I've also spent more than 4 hours reading about intakes, so I'm grateful for all the information available on this forum. The Mazdaspeed forums are great, but a lot of people stopped posting and there wasn't a whole bunch of action as of late. It's cool to see an active community here, so thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
bucky_u
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Roadster, 340i xDrive 6MT

Hello and welcome!
I have a '16 340 xDrive with the manual. Same boat as you - took me too many months to find a CPO with a stick, red leather, cold weather pack and m sport package without the track handling package.

I have the AP intake. Chose it mostly for the noise. Even the wife likes the new sound.

I also waited many months for a sale on the KW Street Comforts. Yeah, they're coilovers and not just springs, but well worth the cost, in my opinion. On the factory stiffness, they're just a bit stiffer-feeling than the BMW ones, but no float on the highway, and much less body roll, and the added bonus of low (which is adjustable). My wife likes the way it feels, and my baby son still falls asleep in the car no problem.

I ditched my 400m (18x8 square) wheels for an Apex set (18x8.5) and fresh non-run flat, 245 section Continental rubber. A good change.

I also got a JB4, running the mild tune, but with all the sales this weekend, I'm going to upgrade that to bootmod3 with a catted dp to run stage 2 / 93 octane.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky_u View Post
Hello and welcome!
I have a '16 340 xDrive with the manual. Same boat as you - took me too many months to find a CPO with a stick, red leather, cold weather pack and m sport package without the track handling package.

I have the AP intake. Chose it mostly for the noise. Even the wife likes the new sound.

I also waited many months for a sale on the KW Street Comforts. Yeah, they're coilovers and not just springs, but well worth the cost, in my opinion. On the factory stiffness, they're just a bit stiffer-feeling than the BMW ones, but no float on the highway, and much less body roll, and the added bonus of low (which is adjustable). My wife likes the way it feels, and my baby son still falls asleep in the car no problem.

I ditched my 400m (18x8 square) wheels for an Apex set (18x8.5) and fresh non-run flat, 245 section Continental rubber. A good change.

I also got a JB4, running the mild tune, but with all the sales this weekend, I'm going to upgrade that to bootmod3 with a catted dp to run stage 2 / 93 octane.

Good luck!
Who has the bootmod3 on sale this week?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
Sedds
F30 Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340ix

bucky_u Thanks! Question about your coilovers: I see you're from NJ so you know harsh winters just like we do in CT. I've had buddies get coilovers that showed signs of corrosion/rust after just one winter of road salt and whatever chemicals they lay down on the street.

Any issues with yours so far?

And yeah it sounds like you've done everything that I basically would like to get to eventually with the car. I purposely sought out the car without the track pack because I wanted to retain fog lights. Crazy I know, but love the way they look. Wish I had the Brembo rear calipers though. Oh well.

You can stack or rather run bootmod3 on top of JB4 right?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
bucky_u
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Roadster, 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
Who has the bootmod3 on sale this week?
I saw bootmod3 themselves and XPH are offering 15% off bm3. XPH is also offering free enet cable and phone adapter. XPH also have bundles that include other parts like a downpipe or a charge pipe if you want, 10% off with code COMBO10. though it might be better to order a downpipe and bm3 separately if you can get more that 10% off of them individually? I have to price it out. I have ordered from XPH before and recommend them.

Sedds - I only had the coilovers since the spring, so they haven't yet seen a winter. It also depends on the brand of coilovers and materials used. With all the reading I did on these boards about different setups before settling on the KW SC, I don't remember seeing anything about rust. It's worth a search, but I'm not too worried.

I didn't want the track pack because I didn't want the adaptive dampers (more expensive to replace with coilovers), and a square setup. Car stops well enough for my liking with the gray brakes, but I haven't been on a track.

I'm sure you can run both at the same time, but I wouldn't "stack" them. There are other things folks use the JB4 for while running a flash. The B58 subforum would have more details. I'm more of a noob at that stuff, but I'm planning on selling the JB4 once my flash is in.
Appreciate 0