F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > THings you LOVE about your BMW Diesel???
proTUNING Freaks

05-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

THings you LOVE about your BMW Diesel???

This might be a variation on some other threads, however, I am absolutely in love with my 328d xdrive M-Sport.

Picked it up last Saturday, and while I am still in the "learn mode", I am ecstatic with the way it handles --as well as all of the tweaks that came with my configuration (Nav, HUD, Cold Weather, Premium pkgs, HK upgrade).

Having just retired my E46 330i (2003 iteration) which I really enjoyed, I was expecting a lovely ride with my new one. That is a gross understatement.
Yes, there are issues being mentioned in other threads, however, my purpose is to go in the other direction.

One of the most amazing things for me is the MPG that I am seeing.
Admittedly I only have about 600 miles on the odometer (and some might chide me for writing now with so little mileage on it), but circumstances have caused me to do a couple of "break in" trips from where I live on Long Island to Brooklyn, using the infamous LIE (Long Island Expressway), the Southern State Pky, the Belt Parkway as well as some country roads out by me.

Those who are familiar with the LIE, the Southern State Pky & the Belt Pky know them to be notorious parking lots for cars~

I have made a couple of those round trips (approximately 175 miles each) and have found some amazing MPG figures. REAL time figures, since I filled the tank each time before setting out from home.

All of them have been done in Comfort mode. Not driving like "grandpa" but since it is still in the "Break in" period, I did keep the speed under 85 & didn't leave any rubber~

One of the things that had me smiling was that it chaulked up a wonderful 42 MPG including some SS & Belt Pky traffic. The mix with local traffic at home had it at around 37.

Today with minimal traffic (including about a 1 mile crawl as I got onto the Belt from the Southern State), I was able to see 48.1 MPG when I pulled off the hwy onto the streets of Bklyn. The return trip (even with local street driving to get back onto the hwy) had it at 49.5 by the time I exited onto some back roads out east.

We also have a Mini Cooper Clubman S (which is like a miniature station wagon on steriods) made by BMW that has the RFTs. We absolutely hate the ride that those run flats give. You feel every imperfection in the road.
YET, the RFTs on the 328d xdrive are 10,000% better in comfort by comparison.
It seems they may have gotten it right with this design/size/config. It is a definite improvement in terms of the ride and NOT feeling every imperfection like the tires on the Mini.
WOW.

The HK sound is way better than the HK upgraded system we have in our Mini. While we loved the sound of the HK in the 330i we had, this one so far sounds pretty good & possibly better.
I can only image what the real long term road trips are going to be like. Taking them in the 330i were wonderful. This one seems like they will be even better. The F30s feel more roomier and more luxurious than the E46 (IMHO -at least my other half --spouse-- claims that it is) and more powerful.

Sooooooooooooo, here is where you come in, what is it about your Diesel from BMW that you like?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

I'll tell you what I don't like, is that they don't offer diesels on more models in the USA. It's certainly better than it had been, but hey, VW and Audi have had diesels in the USA with more choice for a long time. While MB has some diesels, they do not seem to be all that great, either on power or mpg.

Maybe as we continue to clean up the sulfur levels in the diesel, and they can use the same engine, it will be easier to certify more versions for here.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I'll tell you what I don't like, is that they don't offer diesels on more models in the USA. It's certainly better than it had been, but hey, VW and Audi have had diesels in the USA with more choice for a long time. While MB has some diesels, they do not seem to be all that great, either on power or mpg.

Maybe as we continue to clean up the sulfur levels in the diesel, and they can use the same engine, it will be easier to certify more versions for here.
I support your comment fully!!!
Believe it or not, my getting the 328d was my 2nd choice. While I truly like my 328d, I really wanted to get the F30 GT diesel that is available everywhere BUT in NA/usa.

It (GT-d) is the same engine as the 328d, but they do not have it in NA/US. Which is an issue that I do not understand.

Thus, maybe if more people like you spoke out, we could have the GT diesel (and others) here in NA/US. IMHO, it would be a win-win-win for all.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post

Yea, I support that as well. I was originally going to buy a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but opted for splurging with the 328d.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
sy74vt96
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Love the low end torque. City driving 0-45 mph is fun. The car accelerates quickly off the line with ease ... and without having to really put your foot down on the pedal.

Probably blasphemous to say, but I think the 328d is more fun to drive than the E46 M3 and E60 M5. Sure, the M's can go 0-60 in under 4.7 seconds ... but you feel like a jerk or show-off flooring it fro mthe line, lol.

I have the DHP and the sport chassis setup helps, but it's still too floaty. Dinan has springs for the 328 xDrive that are supposed to be 30% stiffer and lowers the car 1 inch. I may invest in those next year.

The sport guage is fun to look at.

Like the new NAV and how it displays gas stations.

Of course the mpg is great. I drive a bit spirited, so I average about 32 to 33 mpg combined.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy74vt96 View Post
Love the low end torque. City driving 0-45 mph is fun. The car accelerates quickly off the line with ease ... and without having to really put your foot down on the pedal.

Probably blasphemous to say, but I think the 328d is more fun to drive than the E46 M3 and E60 M5. Sure, the M's can go 0-60 in under 4.7 seconds ... but you feel like a jerk or show-off flooring it fro mthe line, lol.

I have the DHP and the sport chassis setup helps, but it's still too floaty. Dinan has springs for the 328 xDrive that are supposed to be 30% stiffer and lowers the car 1 inch. I may invest in those next year.

The sport guage is fun to look at.

Like the new NAV and how it displays gas stations.

Of course the mpg is great. I drive a bit spirited, so I average about 32 to 33 mpg combined.

Totally concur with your fun comment on city driving. And IMHO, there is NO blasphemy in your comment.

Isn't that MPG you are getting AFL (Abso-F**KN-Lutely) lovely, considering the "spirited" sports approach you are using?????
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
AbleDanger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
I have to say I enjoy blowing the doors off a Prius and the like, all while getting better MPG, especially on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Ruggernaut
Rep
Drives: 328D

What do I love about this car?
I came to the BMW by way of a friend. He is a SA for BMW and has been for 20 some years. Company cars and kids had stopped me from spending on a car for me. Had a Miata that was great fun to work on and drive while spending much of its time waiting for the weekend. Wanted a truck for many years and scratched that itch in 2010 with a crew cab that was big, black and could haul all things useful. Leather, tons of options, comfortable ride for trips and a real head turner.
Then one day, as I put $85 in gas in it while the trip odometer had 312 miles on it, I thought " do I really want to keep doing this?"
Went by to see Joe. He gave me a 328D to drive for a few day. The rest is history.
Loved the ride. Smooth, but with just enough attitude to remind me of the fun that was the Miata. Power. The low end grunt of the diesel is easily accessed without the rev of a gas engine spooling up. Technology. I learn something new everyday with this car, really good stuff. Fun stuff.
It's also two different cars. In comfort mode, it's very sedate and almost regal. In sport mode, it's a completely different car. Quick, nimble and unbelievably fun to drive, as a rear wheel drive sports car should be. For me, it's just as much fun to go around corners in as the Miata. I just spent a couple of days in an i while my car was in the dealership getting some small new car issues addressed. The i may be a little quicker the 60, but I wouldn't trade for anything. I love this car.

Oh yah. Took a trip that the truck would have cost me close to $200 in gas. Got 43.2 mpg from my D. Almost 600 miles on a 15 gallon tank. Laughing my ass off.

At this stage of my life, this may be my last new car. I enjoy it enough that it will be ok if it is.
Thanks for starting this tread.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Ruggernaut
Rep
Drives: 328D

What do I love about this car?
I came to the BMW by way of a friend. He is a SA for BMW and has been for 20 some years. Company cars and kids had stopped me from spending on a car for me. Had a Miata that was great fun to work on and drive while spending much of its time waiting for the weekend. Wanted a truck for many years and scratched that itch in 2010 with a crew cab that was big, black and could haul all things useful. Leather, tons of options, comfortable ride for trips and a real head turner.
Then one day, as I put $85 in gas in it while the trip odometer had 312 miles on it, I thought " do I really want to keep doing this?"
Went by to see Joe. He gave me a 328D to drive for a few day. The rest is history.
Loved the ride. Smooth, but with just enough attitude to remind me of the fun that was the Miata. Power. The low end grunt of the diesel is easily accessed without the rev of a gas engine spooling up. Technology. I learn something new everyday with this car, really good stuff. Fun stuff.
It's also two different cars. In comfort mode, it's very sedate and almost regal. In sport mode, it's a completely different car. Quick, nimble and unbelievably fun to drive, as a rear wheel drive sports car should be. For me, it's just as much fun to go around corners in as the Miata. I just spent a couple of days in an i while my car was in the dealership getting some small new car issues addressed. The i may be a little quicker the 60, but I wouldn't trade for anything. I love this car.

Oh yah. Took a trip that the truck would have cost me close to $200 in gas. Got 43.2 mpg from my D. Almost 600 miles on a 15 gallon tank. Laughing my ass off.

At this stage of my life, this may be my last new car. I enjoy it enough that it will be ok if it is.
Thanks for starting this tread.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #10
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

I came from an E92 M3 to an E90 330d LCI with the N57 from the F30.

Initially I wasn't pleased at all as I could afford to keep the M3; I just couldn't justify paying 3x the amount for fuel that I get paid in mileage expenses through work.

As time wore on; I grew to like the 330 more and more. I kept the M3 for around 3 months and drove it more and more and the more time that passed; the more I enjoyed the 330 over the M3.

I'm not saying for a minute I wouldn't be back in an M3 if my miles reduce and I don't doubt I will be in the not too distant future but the combination of speed versus economy which is at least half the cost of the M3 has really impressed me (an indicated 21 versus 37 UK MPG) and despite the claims; I get more than twice as much from a tank.

The speed isn't bad either and is quite deceptive. Deceptive enough to stick to an E46 M3 up to 130 and slowly pass it at 145 recently (on track of course) although the stats would say that isn't possible.

All round; the D has been very impressive for a die hard petrol head.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
SequiMike
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
2014 BMW f30  [0.00]
It's way too early to make much of an assessment on my 2014 328d (I only have 200 miles on it so far), but it looks like it's going to work out really well. I traded my 2011 328i for it and really like the feel of the diesel. Although my wife says it sounds like a little tug boat when she stands in front of it, I kind of like the little diesel ticking noise and it's certainly lots quieter than my F350 6.0 diesel. Once on the move, all engine noise pretty much disappears. I think the hardest part of transitioning to this car is going to be when I fuel it up - old habits are hard to break and I've been putting gasoline in my BMW for the past 3 years. I'm even thinking of painting the fuel cap bright green to keep my 70 y/o brain from having a lapse.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
christof30
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive EstorilBlueII

I'am absolutely in deep love with my 2.0l diesel engine, torque and HP is far enough for me, fuel consuption is really good too. After 15.000 kms cant say any negative observations.
Cheer's
      06-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
Clearmysix
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d

I love paying less for diesel than premium. Currently it is 30 cents cheaper in my area of socal!
      06-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Put simply, effortless torque and having the ability to keep ahead of a 370z on public roads whilst still having high 30s (UK) mpg when I pull up on the drive

Have my cake and eat it territory!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #15
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearmysix View Post
I love paying less for diesel than premium. Currently it is 30 cents cheaper in my area of socal!
Same here, its around .20-.30 cents cheaper. Same price as mid grade.
      08-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

OK, it is now 3 months since I picked up this BEAUTIFUL 328-d M-Sport Xdrive. The odometer recently clicked past 5K. Soooo, I guess you could say that I have put a little bit of mileage on it.

Am I happy?
AFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the time I am driving in Comfort mode. Coasting a lot up to lights & stop signs, when I am driving in the semi-rural areas.

When I am in NYC, and I feel the need for the additional pang of power, I hit the "Sports" mode button and let the turbo kick in. Thus, no fear or concerns when fighting the taxis and other crazies in Manhattan. Then, when the calm hits, it is very easy to reset it to Comfort. Basically, this eliminates the potential for the turbo-lag that many have referred to in other posts.

As to my MPG, it is still running in the mid 40s on the hwy portion of my trips to NYC & beyond. When I combine it with the bumper to bumper rush hour runs, it drops back to the mid 30s, as it does when I do just local/non hwy driving.

The Diesel prices in August are still below the Hi-test prices that the non Diesel BMWs require, so I am still very much ahead of the game.

One minor thing that seems to be happening is regarding the computer calculation of the MPG. When I first got the car, the first few tank (taking around 12-14 gallons each time) was about 2-3 mpg off of the actual calc that I did manually. Now it is much closer, but still about 1 mpg off. Not a biggie, and something that I can surely live with.

All of that being said, when ever anyone asks me how I like my Diesel, I am a very avid enthusiast!!!!!

Feel free to add to the commentary.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #17
Malloy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 | 6MT | Slicktop

edit - nice reasonable fuel economy numbers!

Last edited by Malloy; 08-18-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #18
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

ADM where are you at on LI? I just got my diesel wagon and so far I love it. I've only done a couple of hundred miles but so far I'm really impressed. It's smooth and pretty quiet (once you get off idle), and at least judging from my wife's lead foot it seems to have all the power you really need. I went back and forth between the gas and diesel when I was shopping; the 0-60 time between the 2 was so big I was afraid it would feel like I was a moving road block, but it certainly feels much faster than the times say.
[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
ADM
Private First Class
Rep

Hey Diesel Power,
I'm in Central Suffolk in the 347 area.

You've got a nice looking Touring M-Sport D there. ENJOY!!!! You will.

If you are ever concerned about the "lag", just hit the switch for the "Sports" mode and you will not have any concerns. When you are on the LIE, NSP or the SSP, the power is there in "Comfort" so you still have the option of kicking it into the sports mode if you are concerned. Your call.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
Darkfiber
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

And so the Americans are catching up with the rest of the world

V8 torque with prius mileage.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
Diesel power
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 Q8 E-Tron 24 M3 CX

Sounds like we're practically neighbors ADM. Even before I got my touring I was an evangelist for diesel. As it is I have 3 friends/family with Jetta Diesel Sportwagons, and another friend just bought an A6 TDI. The word is starting to get out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
N47_Drei
I plan your cities
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

I have little over 10K on my 328d and honestly I feel that it has finally broken in and is quicker. Response feels so much better, I am now starting to enjoy driving it. one thing I really really hate about the car is the suspension. I am coming from m-sport 135i, to a 328d. Looks like I will be slamming the car to the ground, hummm torque, low to the ground and good MPG what more would you want.