F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 335i persistent brake squeal help
GetBMWParts

01-12-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
RichardSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i

Reporting back after ~1-1/2 months with the PosiQuiet ceramic pads.

After my initial heavy braking session, with hot brakes smell and brake fade (see prior post in this thread) -- the squeal was gone, but the squeal came back after a few days. There was somewhat less squeal, but it was almost always there on "gentle stops".

So -- I then did another heavy braking session. After ~ three weeks, I can report that the squeal is now GONE! I am so happy!

Prior to the second "break in", low temperatures did seem to contribute to the squeaking, but that was not the real issue. Now that the squeak is gone, temperatures have no effect re squeaking.

So -- very heavy braking "break in" works! Just do it to the point of hot brake smell and fade. See info in prior posts here and in many other posts.

Thanks to all for ideas and comments. And thanks to Centric for their PosiQuiet ceramic pads. I'm a believer.

Knowing this ---
I wish that BMW service outlets would be honest and help owners solve their squeal complaints. Change brake pads. "Break in" the pads with heavy braking. Rinse and repeat until it's fixed. Just do it.

Apparently BMW HQ doesn't want this to be done. They probably don't want to touch their performance braking reputation. They do this to the detriment of many of their owners who would prefer more quiet over the highest possible braking effectiveness. Not everyone needs or wants this maximum level of braking; those who do already know how to achieve it.

And ---
I'd like BMW's engineers, who I hold in very high esteem, to fix this. I am sure BMW engineers know of the brake squeal problem and they know the cause and how to fix it. If they don't want to dabble with some reduction in braking effectiveness for the high performance brakes, then at least put out a service bulletin telling dealers how to fix the squeal for owners who complain. This is plain and simple. Just do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
neil4
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSwe View Post
Reporting back after ~1-1/2 months with the PosiQuiet ceramic pads.

After my initial heavy braking session, with hot brakes smell and brake fade (see prior post in this thread) -- the squeal was gone, but the squeal came back after a few days. There was somewhat less squeal, but it was almost always there on "gentle stops".

So -- I then did another heavy braking session. After ~ three weeks, I can report that the squeal is now GONE! I am so happy!

Prior to the second "break in", low temperatures did seem to contribute to the squeaking, but that was not the real issue. Now that the squeak is gone, temperatures have no effect re squeaking.

So -- very heavy braking "break in" works! Just do it to the point of hot brake smell and fade. See info in prior posts here and in many other posts.

Thanks to all for ideas and comments. And thanks to Centric for their PosiQuiet ceramic pads. I'm a believer.

Knowing this ---
I wish that BMW service outlets would be honest and help owners solve their squeal complaints. Change brake pads. "Break in" the pads with heavy braking. Rinse and repeat until it's fixed. Just do it.

Apparently BMW HQ doesn't want this to be done. They probably don't want to touch their performance braking reputation. They do this to the detriment of many of their owners who would prefer more quiet over the highest possible braking effectiveness. Not everyone needs or wants this maximum level of braking; those who do already know how to achieve it.

And ---
I'd like BMW's engineers, who I hold in very high esteem, to fix this. I am sure BMW engineers know of the brake squeal problem and they know the cause and how to fix it. If they don't want to dabble with some reduction in braking effectiveness for the high performance brakes, then at least put out a service bulletin telling dealers how to fix the squeal for owners who complain. This is plain and simple. Just do it.
100% agree.

How is the brake dust on the PosiQuiet pads?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #25
Zara
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Wow I thought I was the only one with this issue, interesting to hear other people have experienced the same problem. Definitely will have to try the hard braking break in and hopefully the squealing will go away too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #26
dogmush
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSwe View Post

And ---
I'm glad you're happy with your car's brakes and lack of squealing now, but I want to mention that this isn't really a "problem". It's a characteristic of performance brake systems (specifically pads).

You fixed it by putting lower performance pads on your car and then bedding them properly. But it's kind of backwards to tell folks that the way to quiet their performance brakes is to make them lower performance. They probably just want to save the money and buy lower performance pads/brakes in the first place.

I've owned several cars that I had set up for track/autocrossing, and universally once I got the brakes on them to the point that they could handle heat and extended heavy use, they were kinda loud and/or squeaky when not being used that hard. Brakes that work well hot don't work as well cold and vice versa.

FWIW my M-perf brakes are kind noisy by passenger car standards they are nothing compared to the SSBC brakes on my old Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:02 AM   #27
mel4fun
M-powered
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmush View Post
I'm glad you're happy with your car's brakes and lack of squealing now, but I want to mention that this isn't really a "problem". It's a characteristic of performance brake systems (specifically pads).

You fixed it by putting lower performance pads on your car and then bedding them properly. But it's kind of backwards to tell folks that the way to quiet their performance brakes is to make them lower performance. They probably just want to save the money and buy lower performance pads/brakes in the first place.

I've owned several cars that I had set up for track/autocrossing, and universally once I got the brakes on them to the point that they could handle heat and extended heavy use, they were kinda loud and/or squeaky when not being used that hard. Brakes that work well hot don't work as well cold and vice versa.

FWIW my M-perf brakes are kind noisy by passenger car standards they are nothing compared to the SSBC brakes on my old Mustang.
I am indeed intrigued to think that while your 1st half makes some sense, it doesn't explained why "aftermarket" brake kit tends to generate "noise" as you have mentioned in your various setup.

why didn't a Ferrari, or Lambo brakes with squealing noise ?
I've seen my fair share of such rides in slow / fast traffic and never once did I hear anything squealing other than the exhaust bark or engine growl

btw - my ride also having the same squeal which I can't get rid off ....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:59 PM   #28
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Just throwing my two cents in there..I installed a full set of red m performance brakes on my 328i. After 5k they started squeezing on and off as well. More so when backing out of the driveway in a cold start. I have the drilled and slotted rotors so on top of the squeaking I get an ongoing rubbing like sound. Almost like the pad are catching against the rotor slots as they turn. It's most noticeable when driving by barricades on the highway or passing cars. Goes away when I apply the brakes.

They look damn fine and turn heads all the time but the sounds are f'n annoying lol. Use to worry me but my mechanic who specializes on performance cars repeatedly has told me his customers with Porches complain about the same thing all the time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
RichardSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dogmush:

Just came back to this thread (OP) and saw your note. Thanks. You're right of course.

Or, as I tell my wife -- when the thought comes up that something on my car is a "problem" -- I say no -- It's a Feature!"

So, in your context, the brake noise is not a problem -- it's a feature! :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #30
RichardSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep

OP here --

Brakes still not squeaking. Happy camper here.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

pro-slip resolved my squeal problem. This has different grease for pad back, clip and pins.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #32
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Not sure if it applies in all market regions but over here there is a document from BMW which specifies which replacement pad part numbers apply to which caliper. Some vehicles may have been fitted with the wrong pad. This only applies to genuine pads.

The other thing I can suggest apart from chamfering, regreasing and avoiding using wheel cleaning chemicals is to take the pads out and insert 5mm thick pieces of plastic or wood between the pistons and the disc. Then exercise the pistons out and in several times using gentle short strokes of the pedal.

The pads last a lot longer than the pads used in the sliding non Brembo calipers so they don't get much exercise and may become sticky over time which is quite common for opposed piston calipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
BIG EYE
Rep
Drives: BMW 340I MSport

I recently purchased a '16 340i M-Sport with 35k miles - has the blue brakes.
After a few days, I started to experience the same issues as most others with the brakes.

RichardSwe - Can you post the part number(s) for the Posi Quite Ceramic brake pads you used. Found these ones online, but want to be certain. Thanks!

FRONT
Manufacturer Part #: 104.16090

REAR
Manufacturer Part #: 104.16560
Appreciate 0