F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cylinder misfires after downpipe change
Studio RSR

03-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #23
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Wooohoooooo!!!

Success! So THANK you to everyone for all of the info, feedback and suggestions. A full reinstall, with O2s torqued down and the lower V band installed properly and everything is amazing!

So no cylinder misfires as per the false (historical) positive led me down the wrong path at first, but it was the lower v band causing the POOF sounds and stumbles. She pulled clean and strong in all of the test runs.

thanks again all, this forum rocks!
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      03-16-2019, 01:59 AM   #24
TEST DRYVER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Wooohoooooo!!!

Success! So THANK you to everyone for all of the info, feedback and suggestions. A full reinstall, with O2s torqued down and the lower V band installed properly and everything is amazing!

So no cylinder misfires as per the false (historical) positive led me down the wrong path at first, but it was the lower v band causing the POOF sounds and stumbles. She pulled clean and strong in all of the test runs.

thanks again all, this forum rocks!
Excellent! That's good news! No actual car enthusiast likes to hear problems with their cars or mods. It seems like it's ok to spend money on mods and maitinence, but definitely NOT ok to spend money to fix what we broke =) the irony...
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #25
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Ya know Stefan, I've heard there are these things called YouTube videos that supposedly show you how to do this stuff right.

You might want to check them out, just sayin...
      03-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #26
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Ya know Stefan, I've heard there are these things called YouTube videos that supposedly show you how to do this stuff right.

You might want to check them out, just sayin...
Hahahaha.. I know right?! *laugh* The false positive really threw me for a loop but the moment I got back under the car and could see that rear v band, I knew (at least one thing) what was wrong. 8)

Just had the thing slightly cockeyed on the top where I couldn't see it, and I dont think anywhere near tight enough. My new uber digital torque wrench that arrived this week did the job there.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
bqik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Hahahaha.. I know right?! *laugh* The false positive really threw me for a loop but the moment I got back under the car and could see that rear v band, I knew (at least one thing) what was wrong. 8)

Just had the thing slightly cockeyed on the top where I couldn't see it, and I dont think anywhere near tight enough. My new uber digital torque wrench that arrived this week did the job there.
subscribed!

you give all the bad and good info.

what are your next steps for the 435i?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #28
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bqik View Post
Quote:

subscribed!

you give all the bad and good info.

what are your next steps for the 435i?
Next up is a TuningTechFS HPFP, really excited for that as also prep for a turbo upgrade. I also have an Awron gauge system in route which will be fun!

I also am working on suspension in the future, with very likely Bilstein B16s and a BBK on the radar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #29
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Next up is a TuningTechFS HPFP, really excited for that as also prep for a turbo upgrade. I also have an Awron gauge system in route which will be fun!

I also am working on suspension in the future, with very likely Bilstein B16s and a BBK on the radar.
Glad you fixed this Have you tried ethanol yet and which turbo upgrade are you going with?

I was also advised to gap my plugs 22 to 25 with the stock turbo and high boost.
      03-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #30
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Quote:

Glad you fixed this Have you tried ethanol yet and which turbo upgrade are you going with?

I was also advised to gap my plugs 22 to 25 with the stock turbo and high boost.
No E85 yet.. really focus my build on pump gas. I may throw in some octane boost come "test and tune" days in a few months.

The turbo I am hoping for is an unannounced product as of yet.. really really hoping there is big news in the next 30 days on that. 8)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #31
bqik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:

B16 is the first thing I did.

After 100.000miles with them I can confirm that sway bars is a must to replace in a F32.

regards
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #32
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Is the car still driving/performing as it should? It seems odd to me that a minor exhaust leak downstream of the oxygen sensors would create CELs and poor driveability. A motor, ECU, sensors, etc. tend not to care what's going beyond the last line of analysis (i.e., the O2 sensors), especially a minor exhaust leak. No exhaust v-band, gasket, etc. is ever air tight and they all leak to some extent.

I wonder if the problem is/was simply a matter of a minor issue with the Stage 2 tune, colder plugs, the downpipe and it's less effective cats (compared to the HJS cats used by Fabspeed and HJS), and oxygenated winter gas. It seems like most that have driveability issues with tunes are those running downpipes and sometimes pushing an aggressive map.