F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F series adaptive - Bilstein damptronic PnP dampers
GetBMWParts

02-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #221
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Wasnt too long ago I got my B8 set up (couple months).

They are out there if you look hard enough.

Took me about a month of looking and persistence to locate a set.
Wow, where did you find the damptronics B8?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #222
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:

Wow, where did you find the damptronics B8?
Not damptronics. Standard B8

Had to go to two different retailers.

One for fronts, one for rears.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:54 AM   #223
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Not damptronics. Standard B8

Had to go to two different retailers.

One for fronts, one for rears.
this thread is discussion for damptronic.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #224
TWIN-SCROLL
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i xDrive Gran Coupé MPPSK

Quote:

Great !

Differences are, B8 are not adaptive (Damptronic) and firmer than B6 correct ?

Edit : saw last two posts later...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #225
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So has anyone got the B6 damptronic installed yet? I still can't find any good reviews.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #226
alextzi
Rep
Drives: F30 xdrive

still trying to find where the b6 damptronic for xdrive is even available.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #227
GSband
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i (05/2013)

Bilstein B6 Damptronic write-up

Hello,

I’ve been following this thread for some years, because I wanted to install something better than the OEM adaptive dampers. The OEM adaptive dampers were at their end at about 100000Km/62000Miles. I hadn’t found decent user experiences anywhere, but got fed up with the wait, and went ahead and installed the B6 Damptronic dampers from Bilstein.

They were fitted February 22nd 2018, and I’ve driven with these dampers some 20000Km/12500miles till today. The springs are the OEM springs, so the car’s height has not changed.

I don’t usually post, am more of a reader, but I've learnt so much here that it seems only fair that I share my evaluation. So, as a first post, here’s my write-up. For you to be able to compare your set-up with mine, I’ve written some preliminary remarks.

1. My F30 335i (RWD) was built in May 2013. During production BMW changed (perhaps improved) software and hardware of the Adaptive Dampers. Therefore, your experience with or evaluation of the OEM dampers can differ from mine.

My tyres (summer and winter) are NON-runflat, size 225/45 R18. Riding with runflat tyres will worsen your comfort experience, and so will riding on 19 inch wheels/tyres. Adjust my story accordingly.

For better comprehension I prefer speaking of dampers in 1st position and 2nd position (the 2nd being the harder position). This to avoid confusion between comfort as an evaluation and comfort as position of dampers.

2. On OEM adaptive dampers, in the 1st position, I found that the rear axle was underdamped. After passing an undulation in the road, I could always notice that the front had stopped moving vertically while the rear would continue to do so. While very comfortable at city speeds, this was quite annoying at higher speeds : the car would “wallow” from front to rear, to the point where 2 passengers became sick because of cabin movements (on different occasions, at constant speed, on a straight stretch of highway).

On OEM adaptive dampers, in the 2nd position, the suspension was too harsh for my liking. The car would start “bouncing”, as if the spring travel had become shorter. I found this totally unsuited for highway driving. I only used this position for diminishing the lean in speedy curves.

Basically, I found the OEM Adaptive dampers useless at highway speeds (edit : i.e. over 160Km/h, over 100mph)

3. With Bilstein B6 Damptronic dampers in the 1st position the car’s character is totally different from OEM’s. It’s as if the car comes alive : it listens to steering inputs much better, the car becomes “chuckable”, easier to make slaloms with, handling is so much better. It makes the ride dynamic. The rear becomes “light” (= oversteers) on demand (as can be seen in Joe Achilles’ video). I can’t stress this enough : it really is a fun experience. But suspensionwise, this is as hard as I want to go. Feeling the road can be an advantage for dynamic driving, but you always feel every hump or bump in the road. It is not harsh, but the cabin never stops moving vertically. This is the position I use on the highway : the car rides on rails, but it's not a comfortable ride.

With Bilstein B6 Damptronic dampers in the 2nd position, the spring travel feels much shorter. The dampers are stiffer, so the ride becomes harsh/bouncy on anything that isn’t absolutely flat asphalt. This may be perfect for track riding, but that’s something I never do. I only ride with the dampers in this 2nd position to avoid lean in fast curves. It’s close to what BMW adaptive dampers did in the 2nd position (in my 2013 F30).

I would describe the B6 Damptronics’ 1st position as “sport”, and the 2nd position as “sport plus”. I am convinced that these characteristics will suit those who want a sporty ride all the time, and an even sportier suspension for track days.

4. As a conclusion : for a dynamic ride I am totally happy with the B6 Damptronic in the 1st position. Then, my F30 really is a super fun car to drive. But for long highway stretches, or simply commuting, it’s not comfortable enough. In the 2nd position the ride is simply too harsh for me. So, what I miss with the B6 Damptronic dampers, is a “comfortable” setting.

I am actually comtemplating installing Bilstein B4 Damptronic, hoping that the B4’s 2nd position will be as sporty as the B6’s 1st position, and that B4’s 1st position will give a comfortable ride, without the “wallowing” I mentioned under (2).

I hope this write-up helps. Cheers !
GSband

Last edited by GSband; 03-04-2019 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 10
      03-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #228
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSband View Post
GSband
Excellent writeup! Thank you for your impressions!

I wonder if the "feeling the road" you experience is due to Bilstein's typical unnecessarily high nitrogen pressure, which makes it boost the spring rate somewhat and delay when the damper can start acting.

In both positions, does the car seem to "launch" off of large bumps/crests or "fall down" over them?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #229
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thank you so much for your feedback.

What's interesting is, your analysis sounds very similar to what many other describe how the dinan shockware feels on oem adaptive dampers. Though I would expect the bilsteins to be a higher quality ride over shockware.

Judging by your explanation, I would wager that "position 2" is what i'm looking for compared to the oem "position 2". I find myself running my oem dampers in position 2 constantly. I hardly use position 1 because it is too soft and floaty.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #230
GSband
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Judging by your explanation, I would wager that "position 2" is what i'm looking for compared to the oem "position 2". I find myself running my oem dampers in position 2 constantly. I hardly use position 1 because it is too soft and floaty.
Hi,
I agree completely that OEM's pos 1 was way too floaty. But where I live we have cobblestones on some local roads, and that's where OEM pos 1 comes in handy.
In my opinion the OEM's 2nd position is somewhat "bouncier" than the B6's 2nd position. In this way B6 is better than OEM.
B6 DT excells in the 1st position (IMHO).
Cheers,
GSband
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #231
GSband
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

In both positions, does the car seem to "launch" off of large bumps/crests or "fall down" over them?
Hi,
interesting question. I'm going to have to find out. I'll have to get back to you on this one.
Cheers,
GSband
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #232
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi,
I agree completely that OEM's pos 1 was way too floaty. But where I live we have cobblestones on some local roads, and that's where OEM pos 1 comes in handy.
In my opinion the OEM's 2nd position is somewhat "bouncier" than the B6's 2nd position. In this way B6 is better than OEM.
B6 DT excells in the 1st position (IMHO).
Cheers,
GSband
If you do end up swapping over to the B4 damptronic, let us know how those are in comparison!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #233
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Thanks a lot!

This sounds a lot like what I experience with KW DDC, nice for track duty and spirited driving on roads, not so nice for the reality of our roads on a daily basis. Difficult to find a compromise I suppose :-/

Quote:
Hello,

I’ve been following this thread for some years, because I wanted to install something better than the OEM adaptive dampers. The OEM adaptive dampers were at their end at about 100000Km/62000Miles. I hadn’t found decent user experiences anywhere, but got fed up with the wait, and went ahead and installed the B6 Damptronic dampers from Bilstein.

They were fitted February 22nd 2018, and I’ve driven with these dampers some 20000Km/12500miles till today. The springs are the OEM springs, so the car’s height has not changed.

I don’t usually post, am more of a reader, but I've learnt so much here that it seems only fair that I share my evaluation. So, as a first post, here’s my write-up. For you to be able to compare your set-up with mine, I’ve written some preliminary remarks.

1. My F30 335i (RWD) was built in May 2013. During production BMW changed (perhaps improved) software and hardware of the Adaptive Dampers. Therefore, your experience with or evaluation of the OEM dampers can differ from mine.

My tyres (summer and winter) are NON-runflat, size 225/45 R18. Riding with runflat tyres will worsen your comfort experience, and so will riding on 19 inch wheels/tyres. Adjust my story accordingly.

For better comprehension I prefer speaking of dampers in 1st position and 2nd position (the 2nd being the harder position). This to avoid confusion between comfort as an evaluation and comfort as position of dampers.

2. On OEM adaptive dampers, in the 1st position, I found that the rear axle was underdamped. After passing an undulation in the road, I could always notice that the front had stopped moving vertically while the rear would continue to do so. While very comfortable at city speeds, this was quite annoying at higher speeds : the car would “wallow” from front to rear, to the point where 2 passengers became sick because of cabin movements (on different occasions, at constant speed, on a straight stretch of highway).

On OEM adaptive dampers, in the 2nd position, the suspension was too harsh for my liking. The car would start “bouncing”, as if the spring travel had become shorter. I found this totally unsuited for highway driving. I only used this position for diminishing the lean in speedy curves.

Basically, I found the OEM Adaptive dampers useless at highway speeds (edit : i.e. over 160Km/h, over 100mph)

3. With Bilstein B6 Damptronic dampers in the 1st position the car’s character is totally different from OEM’s. It’s as if the car comes alive : it listens to steering inputs much better, the car becomes “chuckable”, easier to make slaloms with, handling is so much better. It makes the ride dynamic. The rear becomes “light” (= oversteers) on demand (as can be seen in Joe Achilles’ video). I can’t stress this enough : it really is a fun experience. But suspensionwise, this is as hard as I want to go. Feeling the road can be an advantage for dynamic driving, but you always feel every hump or bump in the road. It is not harsh, but the cabin never stops moving vertically. This is the position I use on the highway : the car rides on rails, but it's not a comfortable ride.

With Bilstein B6 Damptronic dampers in the 2nd position, the spring travel feels much shorter. The dampers are stiffer, so the ride becomes harsh/bouncy on anything that isn’t absolutely flat asphalt. This may be perfect for track riding, but that’s something I never do. I only ride with the dampers in this 2nd position to avoid lean in fast curves. It’s close to what BMW adaptive dampers did in the 2nd position (in my 2013 F30).

I would describe the B6 Damptronics’ 1st position as “sport”, and the 2nd position as “sport plus”. I am convinced that these characteristics will suit those who want a sporty ride all the time, and an even sportier suspension for track days.

4. As a conclusion : for a dynamic ride I am totally happy with the B6 Damptronic in the 1st position. Then, my F30 really is a super fun car to drive. But for long highway stretches, or simply commuting, it’s not comfortable enough. In the 2nd position the ride is simply too harsh for me. So, what I miss with the B6 Damptronic dampers, is a “comfortable” setting.

I am actually comtemplating installing Bilstein B4 Damptronic, hoping that the B4’s 2nd position will be as sporty as the B6’s 1st position, and that B4’s 1st position will give a comfortable ride, without the “wallowing” I mentioned under (2).

GSband
      04-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #234
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I just received received a message from Tirerack:

"The Bilstein B16 PSS10 kit for your EDC suspension looks to have an ETA from Bilstein for late June, but it is just an estimate. It should plug into your existing harness".

Hopefully, late Summer 2019 delivery will hold.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #235
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

"The Bilstein B16 PSS10 kit for your EDC suspension looks to have an ETA from Bilstein for late June, but it is just an estimate. It should plug into your existing harness".

Hopefully, late Summer 2010 delivery will hold.
Gosh, I hope so. After putting my summers on, I definitely feel like my suspension is the weakest component.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #236
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:

GSband
Great write up!

I don't think B4's are available with Damptronics or at least not for my car.

Also, did you install just the front struts or a complete set including the rear?

On a side note - Does anybody know if I can just change the fronts? How does this effect the drive and has anybody done it?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #237
oregondonor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post

Hopefully, late Summer 2019 delivery will hold.
What are everyone's thoughts on the currently available KW DDC Plug & Play option?
2016 435i MSport ZHP #85

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #238
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondonor View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on the currently available KW DDC Plug & Play option?
I didn't even know that had this option. I just looked it up... pretty interesting and it seems like a full coilover setup except you use a app to control the setting of the stiffness?
      04-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #239
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
I didn't even know that had this option. I just looked it up... pretty interesting and it seems like a full coilover setup except you use a app to control the setting of the stiffness?
There are two kits. One that includes an ecu that you control through an app, and one that connects directly to the car's system, and is controlled like OEM.
Appreciate 1
B58557.50
      04-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #240
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Thanks a lot!

This sounds a lot like what I experience with KW DDC, nice for track duty and spirited driving on roads, not so nice for the reality of our roads on a daily basis. Difficult to find a compromise I suppose :-/
Was your kw ddc kit the plug and play or ecu version?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #241
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
Was your kw ddc kit the plug and play or ecu version?
Plug and play, I had EDC from factory
      04-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #242
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hello,

GSband
I have an M235i and know of the wallowness you speak of with M Sport springs in comfort mode. However when I changed to M Performance springs, that horrible wallowness you speak of went away and I was very happy. So I think the wallowing is the "soft" compromised M Sport springs, not necessarily the adaptive shocks.
Appreciate 0