F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Volvo vs HGV
GetBMWParts

03-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #45
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
We've been told we've got 4 days of hire car after they formally settle the claim. Going to be a massive problem living in rural Cambridgeshire so it's going to have to be something in stock, ex-demo or pre-reg.

Probably won't be another XC90, short list is XC60, X3 or F-Pace. Long shot is a Toureag, one of the leasing companies has one in stock on a crazy deal. Will depend on the spec.

I've emailed my contact at Park Lane to see what they can do us. Hopefully they will have some X3s in stock.
Going smaller? F Pace is a good option, size wise it's half way between an X3 and a Touareg/XC90. Friend just bought an F Pace and had a nosey round it last week, looks very nice, especially on the 22 inch wheels he specced.

I don't know why, but personally, if I'm going SUV, the bigger the better........I'd be looking at the Touareg. Sure there'd be a few in stock if you went to a dealers instead of direct to leasing companies, same for any of your chosen cars. I've been looking at leasing for next car, and dealers are pretty close on price to the rest with their lease deals.
There's only two of us although we need a boot big enough for two large German Shepherds. We only got the XC90 last time as at that time it was the old XC60 and we didn't want a car with less than a year left on it, and he really liked the new 90.

He really likes the Touareg and had one of the old models before the XC. It looks decent enough and it well equipped. Massive boot too.

I'm hoping Park Lane will come back with a great deal.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #46
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Or maybe a Disco 5 as there are bound to be loads of them in stock!
I didn't find it quite that easy. I negotiated a decent discount on a factory build, that couldn't be exceeded on a stock car - not that I have tried that hard.

Our chosen colour got pulled on the day of ordering and the replacement colour isn't available until MY20 builds. This meant a review of stock cars, but every one of them had fairly significant bits missing or added and none had the right combination of exterior/interior/headlining that we wanted. In the end we have opted for waiting for MY20 and the c.12 week extra wait that that entails.

So, stock cars are there if you are flexible on spec, but not necessarily at the large discounts we might expect.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18765.00
      03-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #47
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Definitely worth trying an F-Pace.

Not driven one myself, but there's something about them that I just really like. I hear they're good to drive too.

And an F-Pace SVR would reside in my lottery win garage, just for the sheer hilarity of it
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:32 AM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I didn't find it quite that easy. I negotiated a decent discount on a factory build, that couldn't be exceeded on a stock car - not that I have tried that hard.

Our chosen colour got pulled on the day of ordering and the replacement colour isn't available until MY20 builds. This meant a review of stock cars, but every one of them had fairly significant bits missing or added and none had the right combination of exterior/interior/headlining that we wanted. In the end we have opted for waiting for MY20 and the c.12 week extra wait that that entails.

So, stock cars are there if you are flexible on spec, but not necessarily at the large discounts we might expect.
It was a little bit tongue in cheek as I dont think the looks have helped sales, but I do know that they keep offering the son in law one as his company car as it is / was something they had stock of... Wrong spec though (4 pot) so he declined...
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 03:36 AM   #49
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Definitely worth trying an F-Pace.

Not driven one myself, but there's something about them that I just really like. I hear they're good to drive too.

And an F-Pace SVR would reside in my lottery win garage, just for the sheer hilarity of it
Not sure if the gearbox is better now / in the bigger engines but drove son in laws and found the gearbox extremely frustrating, slow to engage on set off, gearbox hunting as too many gears...

And switching the engine off to shut the window became a bit of a pain (one of multiple electrical problems and why it went back - was a very early model though!)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:46 AM   #50
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It was a little bit tongue in cheek as I dont think the looks have helped sales, but I do know that they keep offering the son in law one as his company car as it is / was something they had stock of... Wrong spec though (4 pot) so he declined...
I must admit that, having seen the rear view, I did go into negotiations expecting a 40% discount

Appreciate 2
isleaiw18765.00
      03-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #51
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I must admit that, having seen the rear view, I did go into negotiations expecting a 40% discount
I drive an Audi with fake exhausts - you learn to reverse park all the time!

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2019, 02:39 AM   #52
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

OP, did you sort a car yet?

Just seen a great deal on Santanders website for an XC90. T5 Inscription, 10k miles per year, zero deposit, 18 months contact and £599 a month.

You need to be a Santander customer, but that just means opening a credit card to qualify.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:55 AM   #53
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Just seen a great deal on Santanders website for an XC90. T5 Inscription, 10k miles per year, zero deposit, 18 months contact and £599 a month.

You need to be a Santander customer, but that just means opening a credit card to qualify.
Thanks but a deposit has been paid on a X3 M40i!
Appreciate 2
simon.922.00
isleaiw18765.00
      04-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #54
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

A 2xB58 household, nice!!

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #55
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Quote:

A friend has one of these & loves it. Sound epic as well & handle pretty darn good for a big truck
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #56
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hope that you didn’t exaggerate too much about the economy...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #57
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hope that you didn’t exaggerate too much about the economy...

The Volvo only got 29mpg so I'm hoping it won't be far off that. Plus petrol is cheaper than diesel.

Plus it's not my car
Appreciate 0