F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
Extreme Powerhouse

01-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #155
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagler View Post
Can anyone confirm/deny a statement that I received from BimmerTech?

I asked:Which buttons on the car do NOT work when using the MMI solution? ie, If I am in CarPlay can I use steering wheel controls for volume, for changing tracks? I am assuming that iDrive controller works as expected. How about the button on console (such as track skip, etc)?

The response was: Buttons on console work, iDrive controller works, steering controls don't work.

Really, the steering wheel controls do not work with BimmerTech MMI solution?

Steven
they don't, since the multimedia is being fed through AUX.

are they going to give us full screen soon?

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #156
shagler
Private
Rep
Drives: M850i

Garage List
2019 BMW M850i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
they don't, since the multimedia is being fed through AUX.

are they going to give us full screen soon?
Not sure that makes sense...if the iDrive controller can control things, why would the steering wheel buttons be excluded?

As far as full screen...here is my question to them and their answer:

I see numerous discussions on forums about you guys moving from 2/3rds screen to full screen when using CarPlay..that was back in October, but I don't see anywhere that you have actually moved to using the full screen. Do you have full screen or not...if not, is it coming? When? Change would be via software update?
ANSWER: We offer full screen Carplay, but not Carplay MMI. The full screen option is not available for your car.

In looking more at their site, It seems as though the response was "yes, we can do full screen, but not through the MMI box". I may be reading too much into things. I have a '14 F13 (650i) with almost all options...not sure that this statement would be the same for other models/options.

Steven
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #157
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

If your car has OEM CarPlay (from BMW) and Istep version later than 03/2018, fullscreen can be coded (they offer to code it remotely for some $).

If you are using their CarPlay solution (requires to install MMI unit etc.), then no fullscreen yet.
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      01-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #158
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

It looks like Bimmertech not only copying BMW with their practice to apply updates and fixes, but they also do Apple style to prevent something totally doable to be available.

Glad you have asked this question, shagler . I will wait for Unique (not Unichip) wireless solution at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #159
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
It looks like Bimmertech not only copying BMW with their practice to apply updates and fixes, but they also do Apple style to prevent something totally doable to be available.

Glad you have asked this question, shagler . I will wait for Unique (not Unichip) wireless solution at this point.
WHY? unichip is full screen and the steering wheel controls work.
from the steering wheel:
initiate siri (or just say "hey siri") with dude talking button
answer and end calls with phone button
skip and rewind tracks with scroll wheel.
control volume (obvi, that is just through the regular car controls)

only thing that doesn't work, is pushing the scroll wheel in. that brings up an "aux not controlled dialog in the info screen near the speedometer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:27 PM   #160
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I need some clarification from you guys running one of the MMI CarPlay solutions. If you are using CarPlay to navigate and for phone calls can you still play the radio (either satellite, AM or FM)?

Also, I've asked Unique AD but they never answered. Perhaps that is their answer. Is their unit compatible with a 2013 US model 328i with a CIC system? Their website says it's compatible with 2013s that display Connected Drive which mine does. I'm asking because NBT went live in Europe a year before the US on F30s.

Thanks.
Charlie

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #161
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Before i order BimmerTech’s one i sent email to Unique AD and i didn’t receive an answer so they just suck...

About your question, you can listen to car’s radio and navigate but you will have no sound for navigation and of course calls will be via car’s Bluetooth.. If you want to have normal sound in navigation you have the choice to use Tune in app for radio while using CarPlay..

About steering wheel control, with BimmerTech MMI you can use volume adjustment buttons and button for voice control(Siri).. But you can’t skip songs with scroll wheel..
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2019, 12:14 PM   #162
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

bump, bimmertech PLEASE give us an update with full screen.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #163
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
bump, bimmertech PLEASE give us an update with full screen.
Its out I believe

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #164
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

BimmerTech
8 hours ago
Hello there! This is a full screen mode only for the original Apple CarPlay, not for CarPlay MMI.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #165
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

Such a bummer, they recognize that it's a waste of space but won't update it for the MMI users..

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #166
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

make yourself heard and reply to the comment requesting for MMI fullscreen.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #167
Len_Beach
Major
Rep
Drives: 435d

As per my earlier post, I suspect they're not updating to full screen because they can't as these units are bought in from China and then sold on marked up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #168
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
We are very much aware that many of our customers would like the full screen option in CarPlay MMI.

We started to work on it last year, but we got to the point where hardware changes to the main board seemed necessary to make it work.
We did not want to go that route, because it meant we would not be able to offer an update for our existing customers.
We are still working on the new features and improvements to CarPlay MMI, including full screen, while doing our best not to modify the hardware.

I do hope I will be able to give you an update in March.
Appreciate the reply.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #169
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We are very much aware that many of our customers would like the full screen option in CarPlay MMI.

We started to work on it last year, but we got to the point where hardware changes to the main board seemed necessary to make it work.
We did not want to go that route, because it meant we would not be able to offer an update for our existing customers.
We are still working on the new features and improvements to CarPlay MMI, including full screen, while doing our best not to modify the hardware.

Actually, thank you for delaying this.

I think we waited enough already Wireless MMI is available now.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #170
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

make yourself heard and reply to the comment requesting for MMI fullscreen.

Any updates?
      03-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #171
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:

This update will impact the potential 8.8" customers like myself since 6.5" seem to have a wireless option now.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #172
rabbit1986
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3, 2016 D3 biturbo

So to my understanding, there are almost no downsides? Besides the fact that it does not work full screen and songs can’t be skipped on thr steering wheel?

Does audio not seem quieter when using aux ?
So the bug concerning thr reversing camera not going back to car play is fixed ?

Still find it quite hard to justify the price tag tho
If it would be just like to OEM option pricewise i’d seriously consider it, now I am having the feeling that there might be a serious downside I am not realizing.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:47 AM   #173
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Unique AD is going to be offering full screen wireless CarPlay devices for the 8.8" screens in the next couple weeks. I was sending/receiving daily emails with them this past week and they even said their existing wired carplay module will get an update for full screen

x-m4n148.00
      03-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #174
Raj32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

This is awesome. I just bought an F30 but with the smaller screen (was gutted!), so I will defo be looking into this!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #175
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit1986 View Post
So to my understanding, there are almost no downsides? Besides the fact that it does not work full screen and songs can’t be skipped on thr steering wheel?

Does audio not seem quieter when using aux ?
So the bug concerning thr reversing camera not going back to car play is fixed ?

Still find it quite hard to justify the price tag tho
If it would be just like to OEM option pricewise i’d seriously consider it, now I am having the feeling that there might be a serious downside I am not realizing.
Yes it’s like the description you make, they sent an update and solve this problem, i have rear view camera too(not bought from them) and works perfect too..

And yes they haven’t make still full screen.. About wireless CarPlay other saying, I still have some doubts for such a new product(from unique ad) which only use Bluetooth for connnection..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #176
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Yes it’s like the description you make, they sent an update and solve this problem, i have rear view camera too(not bought from them) and works perfect too..

And yes they haven’t make still full screen.. About wireless CarPlay other saying, I still have some doubts for such a new product(from unique ad) which only use Bluetooth for connnection..

AlbertoSONIC explained that it uses WIFI for audio and video. Check this post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
Carplay outputs audio thru aux. iPhone pairs with carplay via bluetooth and then it streams video and audio via wifi. So on the iphone you can still be connected to idrive bluetooth (as the connection with carplay is via wifi) and choose it as audio destination. So you could use carplay together with idrive bluetooth, listen iphone audio via bluetooth, answer calls from idrive, see the caller in the kombi display etc, while seeing carplay in the idrive screen. But it's too good to be true and actually it's not doable, because it has a serious issue: in this state the iphone doesn't know if to get the microphone from carplay or from the car, so it keeps switching audio destination from carplay to idrive. For example, you're listening iphone music thru idrive bluetooth. You get a call, iphone thinks carplay should handle it so the mic has to be carplay one, audio switches to carplay, so you have to select aux in the idrive. Call ends, audio switches back to bluetooth, so you have to select bluetooth in idrive. It's a mess. So what you have to do is:

Do everything with carplay. Forget idrive completely. Remove the bluetooth connection from iphone to idrive and use only carplay. Listen music on carplay, listen radio on carplay, answer calls on carplay. Never exit it or you will lose calls because if the screen is showing idrive interface, and audio is not on aux, you will never ever notice you're receiving a call. Remember that you aren't paired with the idrive anymore, so kombi won't show anything.
Appreciate 0