F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Import profile from USB?
GetBMWParts

03-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Import profile from USB?

I was able to export my driver profile to a USB stick a few months back. I now want to import back to my car but iDrive says there is no profile to import. It recognizes the USB stick though. The profile is in the following folder structure at the root level of the USB:

BMWData >> Mobile Profile >> Tommy.mpd

Any ideas?

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Hmm...the directory structure you have is identical to mine. And the file is ".mpd". If I recall correctly:
Settings--> Profiles--> Import Profile--> USB Device. After that I believe you select the profile and click import...or does it import automatically? I believe it should overwrite an existing profile of the same name...but you could try renaming the profile on the USB stick and then try to import.

I can check tomorrow on my car if you like?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Thank you for the reply. I just tried to export another profile and even though the car said it worked the profile was not saved to USB. On the Media screen, my USB stick is recognized and I can actually play music from it so that doesnt seem like a problem.

I've tried 2 different USB stick with the same results.

Not sure what is going on. Any insight would be appreciated.

2015 428i GC - Alpine White - Coral Red - M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
When I insert a USB stick (with three exported profiles in the directory structure noted above) and then select "Import Profile (USB)", the next screen is "Profile Selection" and each of the three profiles is listed and available for import. BMWData is in the root directory of the USB stick and the MPD files are 3 or 4 kb in size.

I take it that "Profile Selection" does not appear, but rather...no profiles available or something similar. That is what happens on mine when I insert a USB stick with no profiles on it.

It sounds like you may have a slightly earlier NBT version than mine as I do not choose, "USB Device" after selecting "Import Profile"...on my NBT-EVO, it is all in one.

Odd that you cannot export a profile either...that suggests a USB access issue. I think I would call a BMW "genius' (Ho Ho Ho!) or your dealer for advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I used to be able to both export and import... And then at some point, i could no longer do it....

I believe it must be due to a software update...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #6
mawyju
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 F31 (2014)

Bloody updates!!!

Ive got F31 late 2014, and was able to work with profiles just fine.
Ive had a car accident where my Active cruise control radar module was kicked off, and had the car repaired.
The car shop took the car to the official dealer as they apparently needed to code in the new radar module, and idiots updated all ECUs in the car. I lost all of my coding, engine mappings, transmission mappings and got iDrive updated as well. Needless to say, they did not make a backup of my profile prior to that, neither asked about update permission at all.

Ive coded everything now, and have it all as I want, except for the fact that profile import export no longer works!

It says its successfully exported and imported, but nothing returns to the profile that was previously saved, but instead sets things to what was saved on usb before update. Meaning, import works fine, but yes, they broke export functionality with the software update.

Damn it!!!
Appreciate 0