F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dinan Springs and Bump Stops + Michelin PSS on a 340i xDrive
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #23
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Yeah, I understand that - one of the reasons I'm going to hold off and see if I really want it. I'm likely to either leave it stock or go all out and do LSD + springs + sways, and the LSD is even more labor than the sways I think.
For what you'll pay for everything just skip going all-out on the 340i and get an M3, you'll be much happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Go to an indy performance shop, it's cheaper! I paid 400$ for Dinan springs+bumpstops and alignment at my local performance shop. I was quoted 550-600$ for sway bars installation.
There's no way you paid $400CAD for springs, bumpstops, alignment, and installation. That would be like $300USD. Could be the cost of just parts OR labor but not both.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #24
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoM3 View Post
For what you'll pay for everything just skip going all-out on the 340i and get an M3, you'll be much happier.

There's no way you paid $400CAD for springs, bumpstops, alignment, and installation. That would be like $300USD. Could be the cost of just parts OR labor but not both.
Oh. I was talking USD, not CAD lol

I paid around 500-600$ CAD for springs and installation. I just converted to USD for you haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #25
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Not so much. For some reason I can't get an AWD M3, I can't imagine how much AWD would cost to add after-market.

Plus a comparably equipped M3 is $80k, while with all that I'd only about $63-65k (and possibly less) into the 340i, and if I wait a year or two before doing most of the after-market stuff, it'll be coming out of a later bonus check, so it doesn't impact my payments.

Last edited by Araemo; 10-21-2016 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
Big Nodge383.00
      10-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #26
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh. I was talking USD, not CAD lol

I paid around 500-600$ CAD for springs and installation. I just converted to USD for you haha.
Still, that's a razor thin or even red profit. Even selling you the parts at cost that's like $100USD in labor which doesn't sound right. Also, we're talking about two different cars here... you have a 335i.... Also depends when you purchased due to currency fluctuations so it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison.

Quote:
Not so much. For some reason I can't get an AWD M3, I can't imagine how much AWD would cost to add after-market.

Plus a comparably equipped M3 is $80k, while with all that I'd only about $63-65k (and possibly less) into the 340i, and if I wait a year or two before doing most of the after-market stuff, it'll be coming out of a later bonus check, so it doesn't impact my payments.
You don't need an AWD M3. I can ramble on and on why but it's basically sacrilegious and not in the same league.

In my estimation a similarly equipped M3 without the Competition Package is $75k. A 340ix loaded up like mine is $62k. $1k springs, $1k non RFT tires, $400 Shockware, $1,500 sways, $3,500 LSD, $3k MPPSK, $2k winter setup... that's a little over $12k in mods... I'll take an M3 and throw some snow tires on 18's for the max 10 days it actually snows....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #27
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Still, that's a razor thin or even red profit. Even selling you the parts at cost that's like $100USD in labor which doesn't sound right. Also, we're talking about two different cars here... you have a 335i.... Also depends when you purchased due to currency fluctuations so it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison.

You don't need an AWD M3. I can ramble on and on why but it's basically sacrilegious and not in the same league.

In my estimation a similarly equipped M3 without the Competition Package is $75k. A 340ix loaded up like mine is $62k. $1k springs, $1k non RFT tires, $400 Shockware, $1,500 sways, $3,500 LSD, $3k MPPSK, $2k winter setup... that's a little over $12k in mods... I'll take an M3 and throw some snow tires on 18's for the max 10 days it actually snows....
Well either way, BMW normally charges 150$ or something for labour and they use all the recommended time to change the springs. Indy shops charge about 75$ an hour (at least here) and can do it in 3 hours. I gotten a quote at BMW before installing my springs and they quoted 1200$ for 8 hours or something like that, when I just went to an indy and they charged 3 hours for 225$. I then brought my chargepipes there as well. I'm just saying there is way better options you can save your money for more mods, other than bringing it to the stealership.
      10-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #28
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I did seriously consider rwd, but I wanted awd this time around. But iirc, comp package is the only way to get a couple options on the m3. So, more like $78.5k, and dealers don't go near invoice on high spec ordered m3s, where as I got my 340i custom order for 10k under sticker instead of 2k under sticker. Trust me, I ran the numbers despite wanting awd, and the minimum difference was still way too much. Plus you counted a snow setup against the 340, but not against the m3. If I spend 10k on mods I wouldn't have spent on the m3, I'm still 15k under the cost of an m3. Plus we get a lot more snow than you apparently... But more so, we get heavy rain a LOT, and I'll enjoy awd more in the rain. (I know it doesn't help stopping any, I'm talking about being able to use the power I'm paying for.)

Plus, on the m3, I don't think I could turn down Tanzanite blue for 1200. Wasn't gonna pay $5k for it on my 340, but only $1200 more than base metallic? It's gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #29
TO 335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: EB 335xi

Quote:
Go to an indy performance shop, it's cheaper! I paid 400$ for Dinan springs+bumpstops and alignment at my local performance shop. I was quoted 550-600$ for sway bars installation.
you got Dinan springs for under $400 Cnd?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #30
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Quote:

It's great that just adding springs to your 340i is working out for you so far, but it's very pretentious to tell other people what they do and don't need. For me any F80 I'd buy would be $80k and I'd still mod it, so a heavily modified 340xi will save me a fair amount of money and be better in the snow to boot, which is important to me as I get a lot more than 10 snow days a year, have small kids, and have driven AWD all my life.

Personally I know I would not be satisfied with a suboptimal setup like Dinan springs/OEM shocks; I talked to a number of people who went that route, then added Shockware, and still weren't happy and swapped out for coils (these were 335s but I doubt the 340i is that different). I also couldn't get over the reverse rake personally, just looks off to me. I wouldn't assume that is the result of some grand design by Dinan, they were offering their 340xi springs for sale like two days after getting a test car in-house, so clearly they are using a spring they had on hand from a prior model.

Again, it's great to have options and I'm glad it's working out for you, but you look kind of silly when you argue that everyone else should be making the same decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
It's great that just adding springs to your 340i is working out for you so far, but it's very pretentious to tell other people what they do and don't need. For me any F80 I'd buy would be $80k and I'd still mod it, so a heavily modified 340xi will save me a fair amount of money and be better in the snow to boot, which is important to me as I get a lot more than 10 snow days a year, have small kids, and have driven AWD all my life.

Personally I know I would not be satisfied with a suboptimal setup like Dinan springs/OEM shocks; I talked to a number of people who went that route, then added Shockware, and still weren't happy and swapped out for coils (these were 335s but I doubt the 340i is that different). I also couldn't get over the reverse rake personally, just looks off to me. I wouldn't assume that is the result of some grand design by Dinan, they were offering their 340xi springs for sale like two days after getting a test car in-house, so clearly they are using a spring they had on hand from a prior model.

Again, it's great to have options and I'm glad it's working out for you, but you look kind of silly when you argue that everyone else should be making the same decision.
It's not being pretentious, I'm stating my opinion in my own thread. No need to be PC police but I'll take your feedback into consideration because being neutral is important to me. I was honestly speaking from the lens of a BMW M purist and acknowledging that I personally should have instead gotten the M3 even if it's without AWD. I can get over that easily also with small children and ski days.

Perhaps now that I'm older I look at value rather over anything. Today, I look at a $80k M3 and a $62k 340ix - you'd have to spend $12k in modifications to get an AWD 3-series to perform to 80% of what an M3 is just to save $6k. Pass.

Please don't misunderstand me though. I'm the one in a 340ix and not an M3 because I also wanted AWD. Value certainly had something to do with it. That's not a character befitting of a pretentious person. My point in drawing the comparison was to give my opinion that you'd be spending an awful lot of money to get a 340i close to an M3 and many people (including myself) justify the 340ix because it's AWD, which isn't necessarily a fair or equal comparison. The M3 is in its own league.

Anyway, I get that you've spent time and money on your own setup (I follow you & it's a really nice setup) so I understand why you'd be put-off at someone like myself for providing their opinion on this. I just feel like if you're spending close to M3 money on a 340i you may as well get an M3.

As far as my very basic setup goes, that's by design. No doubt coilovers are superior but I'm not looking for that type of setup. I think my original post was moreso about how the car should have come from the factory and not that this is the ultimate setup. If anything, this is the cheapest setup to keep me happy. Again, that's not exactly pretentious thought. Unless I can get a crazy deal on MPPSK, I'm not spending another dime on my 340ix because I cannot justify being so close in pricing as compared to an M3 which is what I want next.

If the reverse rake of Dinan springs bother you, you should see the reverse rake of a stock M3/M4.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #32
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did seriously consider rwd, but I wanted awd this time around. But iirc, comp package is the only way to get a couple options on the m3. So, more like $78.5k, and dealers don't go near invoice on high spec ordered m3s, where as I got my 340i custom order for 10k under sticker instead of 2k under sticker. Trust me, I ran the numbers despite wanting awd, and the minimum difference was still way too much. Plus you counted a snow setup against the 340, but not against the m3. If I spend 10k on mods I wouldn't have spent on the m3, I'm still 15k under the cost of an m3. Plus we get a lot more snow than you apparently... But more so, we get heavy rain a LOT, and I'll enjoy awd more in the rain. (I know it doesn't help stopping any, I'm talking about being able to use the power I'm paying for.)

Plus, on the m3, I don't think I could turn down Tanzanite blue for 1200. Wasn't gonna pay $5k for it on my 340, but only $1200 more than base metallic? It's gorgeous.
Due to Big Nodge slapping me around a bit I'm going to agree with you and say do what you think is best for your situation. Very valid point in pricing comparison of what discount you can get off both cars.

That said, rain in RWD can be dealt with and Ohio is generally flat whereas where I am in PA is very hilly but not quite mountainous. Either car is fantastic but I'm just speaking to you as if I were talking to myself now that I've had the 340ix for 10 months. It's great, but it's no M3. If you go back to my first review of my own 340ix you'll see that even from day 1 I was a little under-impressed by it. I went with a loaded 340ix thinking it'd be close and it simply wasn't. My justification was only AWD which I know I can get over since my wife has an X5 that basically collects dust in the garage.

Also, I'm actually OK with BMWs xDrive system. The AWD is kinda fun to throw around but almost impossible to break loose, which is what I like doing sometimes.

Anyway, didn't mean to be overly critical!

Last edited by MomoM3; 10-21-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #33
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
To me, the reverse rake isn't exactly all that noticeable but it's there and does help the rear from squatting. Car feels very 'linear' on WOT now. Not entirely unusual - I was checking out an M4 at the dealership the other day and saw it also had a reverse rake so it doesn't bother me on my 340i especially since it's so unnoticeable.

That's the way Dinan springs are made (likely for a reason) and I went Dinan for two reasons: 1) I keep my warranty and 2) it can still be CPO by BMW with Dinan parts. Coilovers would be a waste of money for me since the Dinan springs and bumpstops brought me to exactly where I wanted the car. I really don't need to tinker around with ride height either - it's no track car.
I'm not trying to challenge your comments, but what kind of squatting are you getting with your old setup? And when you say, 'floatiness', I get the non-word, but how else can you describe this as I'm a total noob to trying to describe the feel of this car's suspension.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #34
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

For squatting and prior to this most-basic and cost-efficient drop, under moderate to heavy acceleration it felt like the rear of the car dunked down. As if I had half a keg in the trunk.

As for floatiness and since the car sat higher, it felt more cushy but not in the comfort aspect but in the control aspect. Kind of like it was just a smidge too bouncy to feel confident when cornering.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #35
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
For squatting and prior to this most-basic and cost-efficient drop, under moderate to heavy acceleration it felt like the rear of the car dunked down. As if I had half a keg in the trunk.

As for floatiness and since the car sat higher, it felt more cushy but not in the comfort aspect but in the control aspect. Kind of like it was just a smidge too bouncy to feel confident when cornering.
I've been to 'Friday night street squids' here at our local drag strip and swear my car has no noticeable (to me, lacking video of the car on launch) squat.

Again not much for me to compare to but this cars setup feels very planted with little roll when I ram around on the street. Sometimes I get kinda wild. Lol. I love this car!

And not replying to anything here, but also starting to understand all the 'stuff' around the stance-overall look of the car. I guess my beautiful car would be considered ugly to most because it's a non-lowered xdrive. I need to change that for the track but I think my car is awesome looking! Another tangent!
Appreciate 1
Jay5k87.50
      10-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #36
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the reverse rake of Dinan springs bother you, you should see the reverse rake of a stock M3/M4.
I'm a big believer in form follows function. The rear wheels don't turn, so they don't have to worry about interference with the fender. Front wheels could be sticking out when the springs come under compression, so if you don't want silly wide fender flares on what is still ultimately a street car, you get a little more fender gap when viewed side-on. IE, this doesn't bother me one bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #37
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm a big believer in form follows function. The rear wheels don't turn, so they don't have to worry about interference with the fender. Front wheels could be sticking out when the springs come under compression, so if you don't want silly wide fender flares on what is still ultimately a street car, you get a little more fender gap when viewed side-on. IE, this doesn't bother me one bit.
Right, which is why I don't care to spend the money on coilovers just to eliminate the reverse rake. I know that's not the only benefit of coilovers though.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #38
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

Big Nodge goes low, MoMo goes high! Seriously, classy response. I did not mean to slap you around but my post did come off like that as I was getting a little defensive. I felt that you were being dismissive of other approaches but I can see that you were just stating your own reasoning. I've modded every car I've owned, it's a big part of the hobby for me, so on top of having AWD going the 340i route limits the insanity (somewhat) vs an F80, which I wouldn't be able to leave stock. Another factor for me, honestly bigger than reverse rake, was coilovers, particularly the KW street comforts I went with, actually allow me to dial in a smaller drop than the Dinan springs which is important to me as I have a lip.

The good news is we have options when pursuing this madness. I'm actually finally getting my suspension setup installed next week, I totally agree with you that the xDrive suspenions does not inspire confidence in the corners. Looking forward to fixing that!

Your car looks great, sounds like it's dialed in just right for you.

Last edited by Big Nodge; 10-21-2016 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #39
Kingpin4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i/2019 M2C

Looks great!!!
The springs will definitely settle after a few months which will improve your stance even more...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #40
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Car looks great. Thanks for the review!
      10-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #41
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Big Nodge goes low, MoMo goes high!
I literally laughed out loud when I read this.

Quote:
Seriously, classy response. I did not mean to slap you around but my post did come off like that as I was getting a little defensive. I felt that you were being dismissive of other approaches but I can see that you were just stating your own reasoning. I've modded every car I've owned, it's a big part of the hobby for me, so on top of having AWD going the 340i route limits the insanity (somewhat) vs an F80, which I wouldn't be able to leave stock. Another factor for me, honestly bigger than reverse rake, was coilovers, particularly the KW street comforts I went with, actually allow me to dial in a smaller drop than the Dinan springs which is important to me as I have a lip.

The good news is we have options when pursuing this madness. I'm actually finally getting my suspension setup installed next week, I totally agree with you that the xDrive suspenions does not inspire confidence in the corners. Looking forward to fixing that!

Your car looks great, sounds like it's dialed in just right for you.
I do get how I may have come across and certainly didn't intend to.

Seriously though, I absolutely appreciate modding cars but less so the "looks" of the car and more so the "feel" or performance aspect. Getting springs on my car is probably a bigger deal to me than considering MPPSK because in my head I think "oh ze Germans knew what they were doing hiking this car up a foot" which is obviously incorrect but technically necessary nonetheless. I'm the guy who asks the tech for a detailed response on whether or not lowering a car from its stock form will mess with the xDrive dynamics. I still worry I'll regret it when the snow comes and winter shoes are on since my ground clearance is about 6" now but who cares since it looks and feels a world better and that's more important.

I'll be looking forward to your review of your coilovers once you have them on. Totally jealous but excited for you. Can you change the height on the fly or do you have to get down into each wheel well to do so?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 10:53 PM   #42
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
I've been to 'Friday night street squids' here at our local drag strip and swear my car has no noticeable (to me, lacking video of the car on launch) squat.

Again not much for me to compare to but this cars setup feels very planted with little roll when I ram around on the street. Sometimes I get kinda wild. Lol. I love this car!

And not replying to anything here, but also starting to understand all the 'stuff' around the stance-overall look of the car. I guess my beautiful car would be considered ugly to most because it's a non-lowered xdrive. I need to change that for the track but I think my car is awesome looking! Another tangent!
I can't say the squat was entirely noticeable to me either until I drove on my new setup but I'm actually very happy with the overall feel considering the price point.

The wheel gap bothered me plenty and the last time I lowered a car was back in 2001 on my Acura CL Type S which made it ride terribly and developed squeaking issues so I was extremely leery of doing the same on this car.

Good luck with your ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #43
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well either way, BMW normally charges 150$ or something for labour and they use all the recommended time to change the springs. Indy shops charge about 75$ an hour (at least here) and can do it in 3 hours. I gotten a quote at BMW before installing my springs and they quoted 1200$ for 8 hours or something like that, when I just went to an indy and they charged 3 hours for 225$. I then brought my chargepipes there as well. I'm just saying there is way better options you can save your money for more mods, other than bringing it to the stealership.
Well apparently I overpaid but still happy I did it at the dealership at a not-so-stealership but still premium price. I think their labor rate is $125/hr. Not many reputable indy shops I know of in Eastern PA but luckily my local dealership's parts, service, and tech guys are all top notch and very honest. Sales is another story so I always buy my cars from the same place in NY. I only buy from people I like and my friendly parts guy pitched the idea of Dinan springs at what I thought to be a fair price including a loaner and alignment.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #44
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
That's a sweet deal. Did mine at BMW cuz the other place Dinan authorized priced theirs higher at book rate. Dinan rate per hour for Dinan installs were $125 is what I've been quoted. I gotta find a good reputable place before i put FMIC, CP, DP.

Regarding this thread, if you're going to track your car, i've heard coil overs give you better adjustments than spring/shocks. But for me, springs were good enough for the road and I have adaptive suspension which I didn't want to lose

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0