F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Battery replacement
ARMA SPEED

07-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Akademe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine white 328i

Battery replacement

Hey guys, dealership notified me that I need to replace my battery and they quoted me at $489 (not sure if that includes taxes) any how I've been searching for other people to have done their own replacement but can't find much on it I have a 2013 328i sedan.... was wondering if anyone here has gone with an aftermarket battery my local pep boys is selling Bosch batteries with the coding needed for it for $180 roughly... just wanted to see if anyone's experienced any issues that should make me go with the OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Bosch makes the batteries for BMW. It may not be identical, but it certainly won't be junk. $489 is highway robbery.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

After you swap your battery you need to have it coded. Before you buy the Bosch, ask your dealer how much they charge for coding to see if the coding charge kills the savings.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

whats the reason why changing a battery requires coding? why was it designed that way? is this only for BMW's? thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Akademe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
After you swap your battery you need to have it coded. Before you buy the Bosch, ask your dealer how much they charge for coding to see if the coding charge kills the savings.
Well pep boys claim they can code it... I just have no idea if anyone has first hand experience with them and I agree $489 is wayyy too steep
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
whats the reason why changing a battery requires coding? why was it designed that way? is this only for BMW's? thanks
There are you tube videos showing how to code for a new battery. Leave it to BMW to complicate things unnecessarily. It's to allow the charging system to account for battery age and condition/type that's set in the coding. BMW typically charges around $450 to install and code a battery. Sears and PEP Boys likely sells the gel type battery your car needs, not sure if they code it however. Costs around $180-200 for the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

About $350 for a new AGM battery. 140 bucks to code? You can code it yourself, or ask a member in this forum to do it for you. I'm not trusting the dudes at Pepboys to code. My experience was they couldn't even align an old Honda Accord steering properly, let alone code a modern BMW. Why not bring your car to a BMW specialty shop?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
About $350 for a new AGM battery. 140 bucks to code? You can code it yourself, or ask a member in this forum to do it for you. I'm not trusting the dudes at Pepboys to code. My experience was they couldn't even align an old Honda Accord steering properly, let alone code a modern BMW. Why not bring your car to a BMW specialty shop?
I wouldn't even trust the dealer to code correctly, they may code for a conventional lead acid battery for all you know. Only do it if it's under warranty so it's on them when they screw up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As batteries age they require a higher current in order to charge. If you put in a new battery while the car thinks it's a 5 year old battery, the car's electronics will overcharge it and ultimately shorten the life.
Appreciate 1
Rhyzen7.50
      07-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, that's the way BMW has designed their cars. They call it registering the battery and it is required so that all of the electronic components are powered properly and so that the charging system charges the battery properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akademe View Post
Well pep boys claim they can code it... I just have no idea if anyone has first hand experience with them and I agree $489 is wayyy too steep
I'm not sure I buy Pep Boys claim that they can register it, but it is possible. I'd ask for a very clear explanation of what they mean and how they do it. My BMW independent mechanic registers my batteries, so there's no question it can be done by someone other than the dealership. The time charge to register a battery should be about 1/2 an hour.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, that's the way BMW has designed their cars. They call it registering the battery and it is required so that all of the electronic components are powered properly and so that the charging system charges the battery properly.

I'm not sure I buy Pep Boys claim that they can register it, but it is possible. I'd ask for a very clear explanation of what they mean and how they do it. My BMW independent mechanic registers my batteries, so there's no question it can be done by someone other than the dealership.
It doesn't appear all this techno wizardry results in longer battery life than a car that doesn't require coding.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
      07-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I got mine at Batteries Plus and had a BMW Indy shop "register" (code) it for $25. The purpose for the registration (as far as I understand) is to tell the car's electronic monitoring system, which manages/monitors to the battery's usage against the different electrical systems the car has and their draw. If the car doesn't know it has a new battery and its specs, it will think it has original battery with its reduced capacity (wear and tear). There are folks who do not register their batteries with no apparent issue, at least, in the near term, but the car's system may eventually tell them they need to replace the battery before necessary because the car thinks its the original/older battery.

Hope those more knowledgeable will add their thoughts and experiences.

And the Dealer charges for the battery and registration is most definitely a rip-off.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It doesn't appear all this techno wizardry results in longer battery life than a car that doesn't require coding.
Is your anecdotal comparison vs cars that have start/stop, turbo cooling fans that run after the car is off, pump priming when you open the doors or hit the unlock button (while the engine is off), comfort access, remote satellite assist accessible while the car is off, electric a/c, electric water pump, and all the other battery-intensive stuff on modern BMW's?

Although the batteries don't seem to last any longer than batteries in cars from a decade ago, it's very possible that they would die even sooner without all the smart charging hijinks. There is a reason BMW switched to AGM batteries after all.

I'm also a little skeptical of the whole battery registration thing, but it's certainly a fact that my F30 is way more demanding on the battery than my 2002 E46 330i ever was.
Appreciate 1
Rhyzen7.50
      07-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Is your anecdotal comparison vs cars that have start/stop, turbo cooling fans that run after the car is off, pump priming when you open the doors or hit the unlock button (while the engine is off), comfort access, remote satellite assist accessible while the car is off, electric a/c, electric water pump, and all the other battery-intensive stuff on modern BMW's?

Although the batteries don't seem to last any longer than batteries in cars from a decade ago, it's very possible that they would die even sooner without all the smart charging hijinks. There is a reason BMW switched to AGM batteries after all.

I'm also a little skeptical of the whole battery registration thing, but it's certainly a fact that my F30 is way more demanding on the battery than my 2002 E46 330i ever was.
My 2011 Camry has most of the extras like smart key (comfort access), start button and satellite radio that add to the driving experience, convenience. There is a lot of electrical stuff priming when unlocking the door, though, on the BMW. I can see why they spec'd a 900 cranking amps AGM battery, especially with the alternator turned off much of the time even when the engine is running.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
Sayek
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i LCI

Quote:
Hey guys, dealership notified me that I need to replace my battery and they quoted me at $489 (not sure if that includes taxes) any how I've been searching for other people to have done their own replacement but can't find much on it I have a 2013 328i sedan.... was wondering if anyone here has gone with an aftermarket battery my local pep boys is selling Bosch batteries with the coding needed for it for $180 roughly... just wanted to see if anyone's experienced any issues that should make me go with the OEM.
The dealer price for battery seems fair. Your car is fitted AGM type and $180 is not a AGM battery.
The AGM battery in UK will setup back about £250- £300 plus coding at dealer.
I personally would not trust a local pep boys word on registering the battery.
Cary app can do it but the adapter and full app will set you back over $100. Its better to find a forum member nearby with Carly app and buy them few drinks to code it.

But whats worry is how did you kill the battery so soon. These AGM battery survive very long time. Mine is original from Dec 2011 and UK winter really goes hard on the battery.

BTW my stock battery is Varta with a BMW logo.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #16
Akademe
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayek View Post
Quote:
The dealer price for battery seems fair. Your car is fitted AGM type and $180 is not a AGM battery.
I personally would not trust a local pep boys word on registering the battery.
Cary app can do it but the adapter and full app will set you back over $100. Its better to find a forum member nearby with Carly app and buy them few drinks to code it.

But whats worry is how did you kill the battery so soon. These AGM battery survive very long time. Mine is original from Dec 2011 and UK winter really goes hard on the battery.

This is the one I was just wondering as to the quality....

It's 165 after a 25% off coupon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
It is in the US. Standard batteries are around $100, less than that for 'economy' brands.
Quote:
UK winter really goes hard on the battery.
Maybe in Scotland. South Carolina winters wouldn't be hard on batteries, but it depends on individual driving habits as much as anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This is the one I was just wondering as to the quality....

It's 165 after a 25% off coupon
It looks like it has a 4 year warranty, free replacement. Not sure if there's a pro-rated period after that where you get a discount on a replacement battery. Warranty assuming normal conditions where the battery is being charged regularly, so either trickle charging or driving the car. If Bosch is the OEM supplier it should be fine. Looks within spec, make sure you code new AGM battery when installing. Make sure to keep your receipt in the glove box for warranty claims.

Last edited by bimmer456; 07-07-2017 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #19
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
(...)
My 330d is at the BMW shop as we speak exactly for a battery change. Dealer price for a battery would be around 350€, even at non-BMW repair shops. Shopped around online and purchased a Varta 95Ah 850A AGM battery for 180€ shipped including the 7,50€ return deposit.

Went to BMW dealer to get it installed, they didn't blink an eye. Said the installation will be a bit under 100€ which is still robbery but, as others said, I'd rather have them code the car and enter it into service history.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 04:34 AM   #20
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I wouldn't even trust the dealer to code correctly, they may code for a conventional lead acid battery for all you know. Only do it if it's under warranty so it's on them when they screw up.
It's unlikely the dealership would mess up because it's not even "coding". It's using ISTAD and registering the battery.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 04:44 AM   #21
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Bosch makes the batteries for BMW. It may not be identical, but it certainly won't be junk. $489 is highway robbery.
Bosch works. I believe the part number is 49-850BAGM.

Exide is the OE battery on my car. The Exide part number is FP-AGML5/49.

The 94R group size appears to work as well but doesn't have as high of a cold cranking amps or reserve capacity as the 49 group size.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #22
Desert Doug
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Silver

Any opinions on Foxwell NT510 OBD reader, which is preloaded for BMW/Rolls Royce/Mini?
Appreciate 0