F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F32 clutch rattle - anyone successfully solved?
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F32 6MT (MPPK, MPE)

F32 clutch rattle - anyone successfully solved?

I've had this issue for a while now - around 7k miles (now on 40k).
I originally approached the dealer when my car was still under Approved Used Warranty. They said it would cost me £600 in labour (not covered by warranty) to take the clutch apart and just see that was wrong, excluding the cost of any replacement parts/labour. I therefore of course told them not to bother.

This isn't a major issue as the car drives and shifts absolutely fine, but needless to say it's a bit annoying and distracts partially from the driving experience. The issue is as follows:

1. Rattle from the clutch in neutral with the clutch engaged only when the car is warm which goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed.

2. Rattle when engaging first gear and moving off as I lift the clutch up (most notably when I don't get the rpm quite high enough) when the car is warm.

2. A "buzz" that you can feel through the pedal when upshifting at higher rpms when the car is warm.

3. Slight rattle when driving around in 1st and 2nd around 2 - 3k rpm.

5. None of the above issues occur when the car is cold.

Anyone had this and managed to fix successfully? I had put it off for months and just got used to it really. It hasn't got that much worse although maybe a bit. The car is now out of warranty. Keen to see if there are any sure fixes out there that I could consider.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
SpecialK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Have you had the car looked at yet?

I have the same issue on my 2012 335i with 85,000 miles. From reading elsewhere, it's the dual mass flywheel that's going bad. I haven't read of any catastrophic failures but I imagine that at some point it will fail completely, rendering the car immobile.

I have an aftermarket warranty that I believe will cover the flywheel (they won't do anything about the clutch, obviously), and plan on having it looked at soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
ig1983
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335 6MT

I have the same issue with my 2013 335xi, 86K km. I have extended warranty that’s up in a few months, I’m going to see what they can do. I also hear the sound when driving (after car warmed up). Wish I could post the recordings of it but I don’t know how.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #4
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

If you are having these symptoms they I suggest you get it checked out.
My clutch has now completely failed at 40,000 miles.

I was setting off from my parking space earlier this week and I heard a “pop!” and then my car became stuck in gear and my clutch pedal went all spongey and stiff at the bottom as if there were a tennis ball stuck under the pedal.

I had to turn the engine off to get it out of gear. It shifts fine with the engine off but once I turn the engine on it won’t go into gear. Sounds like my clutch is stuck engaged.

I am now immobile and waiting for the dealer to get back to me about fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
damn, sounds like ur clutch or flywheel failed. I was just going to say that some minor noise is completely normal in neutral as the one mass constantly oscillates back and forth. I had a progressively noisier dmf on my is250 but it never failed in 130k, it just got louder. Driving habits play a huge part in early dmf failure as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve had the dealer check it out and they’ve put in a new clutch. I now have the car back and it drives fine. The biting point is REALLY low though. Hoping the self adjusting system will take care of this over a few miles?

When I asked what the problem was they told me that the clutch disc was worn. Some of the clutch fins had bent on one side causing it to wear unevenly and prematurely.

I am no mechanic but I thought the symptoms of a worn clutch disc were slippage (I experienced none before the pop).

Can some master mechanic out there please explain to me how a worn clutch disc causes the car to become stuck in gear (engine still running, clutch pedal depressed)?

Also, after I turned the engine off, put it into neutral and turned the engine back on again, it woudn’t go into gear with the engine running, but shifted fine with the engine off.

Really interested and want to understand this. Especially what an earth the pop noise was as this still hasn’t been explained to me.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #7
TQMp5135
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Has anyone out there got an answer for the above? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Mine's making the same sound as well around 1500-2000 rpm. (not to mention turbo wastegate rattle). The sounds are killing me

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0