F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Whining noise at higher rpm
GetBMWParts

03-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
cedaj
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

Whining noise at higher rpm

Hi, I know this is a topic that is discussed often, but there is a high pitched whine in my 2013 328i xdrive at higher rpm around 5k in like 2nd and 3rd year. The car also has a bm3 stage 1 tune and an injen intake if that makes a difference. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
[IMG]
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I'd switch back to stock intake - purely based on all the threads I've read of members with BM3 switching back to stock intake.

Is an upgraded intake a supporting mod on any of the BM3 maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I'd switch back to stock intake - purely based on all the threads I've read of members with BM3 switching back to stock intake.

Quote:

No intake isn't required for any of the bm3 maps. I'll put on the stock air box and test it out, thanks man 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:

Its not, and I second that suggestion. Once you start doing actual tuning beyond boost controllers or simple piggybacks, aftermarket intakes can start messing things up. Not sure why, but it's a pretty popular trend. I'd imagine that it's because a good bit of tuning is based off the MAF readings, and if the MAF's location is different along the intake tract than it is stock, I could see that being an issue. Not sure that it's the cause of this particular problem, but it's a good suggestion nonetheless...
      03-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Quote:

Its not, and I second that suggestion. Once you start doing actual tuning beyond boost controllers or simple piggybacks, aftermarket intakes can start messing things up. Not sure why, but it's a pretty popular trend. I'd imagine that it's because a good bit of tuning is based off the MAF readings, and if the MAF's location is different along the intake tract than it is stock, I could see that being an issue. Not sure that it's the cause of this particular problem, but it's a good suggestion nonetheless...
[QUOTE=rjdnyy224;24504653][QUOTE=floridaorange;24499329]

I put back the stock air box, and it you could still hear the sound a little but not as loud and whiny. Maybe it's just the turbo spooling more due to the higher peak boost it reaches at wot (at the higher rpm range) ? Could it possibly be a boost leak at the charge pipe/intercooler connection. Also I checked out the turbo while the intake was off, and everything seems to be fine, no shaft play and the blades look fine. It's driving me crazy, I know there is some little thing that changed
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
LordRuxpin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N26

Garage List
You know what it probably is... your Turbo Inlet Pipe... ( the pipe that connects from the intake, to the turbo... just trying to be as specific as possible ) It might have cracked. Mine broke at the tightening nut and I vaguely remember hearing this before I swapped over to the MST TIP.

-2013 F30 328i xDrive Melbourne Red-
Injen CAI | GFB DV+ | FTP CP & TP | CW DP | G-Plus Oil Cooler | Mishimoto CC | VSRF FMIC | BM3 Stg 2| H&R Rear Sway Bar | H&R SS & Bilstein B8 | Carbon Fiber Dealibobs | 525 LPFP | Soon to come upgraded HPFP (B58TU) and Navardi Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRuxpin View Post
You know what it probably is... your Turbo Inlet Pipe... ( the pipe that connects from the intake, to the turbo... just trying to be as specific as possible ) It might have cracked. Mine broke at the tightening nut and I vaguely remember hearing this before I swapped over to the MST TIP.

I've had an issue with it popping out before and I'm able to just pull it out of the turbo...does that mean it's broken?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
LordRuxpin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedaj View Post
I've had an issue with it popping out before and I'm able to just pull it out of the turbo...does that mean it's broken?
Yep... there is a nipple on the turbo, and female opening to slide over that from the TIP, its a 10mm nut that goes on it to tighten it up. I had to replace 2 of those fuckers. I recommend getting a metal one from Kies Motorsports, https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...rbo-inlet-pipe

Injen CAI | GFB DV+ | FTP CP & TP | CW DP | G-Plus Oil Cooler | Mishimoto CC | VSRF FMIC | BM3 Stg 2| H&R Rear Sway Bar | H&R SS & Bilstein B8 | Carbon Fiber Dealibobs | 525 LPFP | Soon to come upgraded HPFP (B58TU) and Navardi Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
cedaj
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRuxpin View Post
Quote:
Yep... there is a nipple on the turbo, and female opening to slide over that from the TIP, its a 10mm nut that goes on it to tighten it up. I had to replace 2 of those fuckers. I recommend getting a metal one from Kies Motorsports, https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/coll...rbo-inlet-pipe
[QUOTE=LordRuxpin;24511597][QUOTE=cedaj;24511564]

I probably will have to. Is having a broken inlet damaging to the turbo? As long as it stays in and it's not driven hard right?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:28 AM   #10
LordRuxpin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=cedaj;24511644][QUOTE=LordRuxpin;24511597]
Quote:

I probably will have to. Is having a broken inlet damaging to the turbo? As long as it stays in and it's not driven hard right?
I cant say for sure, I would assume in some capacity yes, because large particles can find it's way into the turbo, thus your engine.... So, yea.. no bueno.

Appreciate 0