F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Drivetrain Error
GetBMWParts

05-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Chrisscott94
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series 2016

Drivetrain Error

Hi guys

Was out in the car today on my weekly shopping trip and the Drivetrain message came up on the dashboard. I will be taking it to get looked at hopefully early next week if there are any garage open local to me. But was wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what could it be?

Thanks guys
      05-01-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
sounds exactly like mine !! .
mine was sorted in January exactly 12 months after egr cooler recall.
turns out the problem was a sticking egr valve !! , and was duly replaced ,I did Aire my views as to why it wasn't cleaned or replaced when in for recall work !! .
obviously this fell on deaf ears ,but it only cost £190 all in parts , labour and vat .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
turns out the problem was a sticking egr valve !! , and was duly replaced ,I did Aire my views as to why it wasn't cleaned or replaced when in for recall work !! .
obviously this fell on deaf ears ,but it only cost £190 all in parts , labour and vat .
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
And did BMW not own up to the problem??
      05-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
SaTh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisscott94 View Post
And did BMW not own up to the problem??
i had same problem with my 320d f30
then i booked with bmw for recall egr cooler now car is fine

Last edited by SaTh; 05-02-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Hi guys

Was out in the car today on my weekly shopping trip and the Drivetrain message came up on the dashboard. I will be taking it to get looked at hopefully early next week if there are any garage open local to me. But was wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what could it be?

Thanks guys
The missus had it on her Mini, recovered by BMW only to find it was a software error. An update sorted it.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks guys
EGR fault all day long

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks guys
EGR fault all day long
Turned the engine on the next day and the fault hasn't came up on the dashboard since.. another problem has now arisen, the car Almost feels like it's down shifting gears when it shouldn't be as if it doesn't know which gear it wants to be in? Anybody shed any light on this? Problem after problem since we went into lockdown!!
      05-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Turned the engine on the next day and the fault hasn't came up on the dashboard since.. another problem has now arisen, the car Almost feels like it's down shifting gears when it shouldn't be as if it doesn't know which gear it wants to be in? Anybody shed any light on this? Problem after problem since we went into lockdown!!
Sounds like an EGR problem still.

If you haven’t lost any coolant it’s probably just the valve, ..Taking it off and giving it a really good clean potentially could fix it.

BMW would just replace it though.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Quote:
Sounds like an EGR problem still.

If you haven’t lost any coolant it’s probably just the valve, ..Taking it off and giving it a really good clean potentially could fix it.

BMW would just replace it though.
Unfortunately I am in no way mechanically minded ha. So it would have to be taken in to the garage to be done.. thank you for insight!
      05-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Unfortunately I am in no way mechanically minded ha. So it would have to be taken in to the garage to be done.. thank you for insight!
A good Indy might clean it for you for an hour or so labour.

Probably a good idea to Get the fault codes read though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:20 AM   #11
Brown Warrior
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335d xdrive Touring

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks guys
I have this Drivetrain warning appear regularly when cruising at motorway speeds, only to disappear almost immediately. Did you find out what was causing it?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 09:53 PM   #12
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Warrior View Post
Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks guys
I have this Drivetrain warning appear regularly when cruising at motorway speeds, only to disappear almost immediately. Did you find out what was causing it?
Not as of yet, proving quite difficult to get booked into a garage in these times. Looking to be back end of next week when I can get in will let you know once it's been in.
      05-22-2020, 05:22 AM   #13
beematthews
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d M-Sport

I had this dreaded error last week, followed by hesitation at low power, then my performance was reduced. The next time I started the car it was fine again, until the other evening when returning from the shop the error reappeared. Two days ago I started the car, no error, drove about 300m then the car just shuddered to a stop and wouldn't start again. I had to get recovery to bring it to a garage. Luckily I have still got warranty on it (mines a 2017), as I only bought it three months ago. When the guy saw it, and saw it trying to start, his guess was egr valve problem. Should hear what it is today I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #14
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beematthews View Post
I had this dreaded error last week, followed by hesitation at low power, then my performance was reduced. The next time I started the car it was fine again, until the other evening when returning from the shop the error reappeared. Two days ago I started the car, no error, drove about 300m then the car just shuddered to a stop and wouldn't start again. I had to get recovery to bring it to a garage. Luckily I have still got warranty on it (mines a 2017), as I only bought it three months ago. When the guy saw it, and saw it trying to start, his guess was egr valve problem. Should hear what it is today I reckon.
Yeah sounds exactly like my problem. Have put off driving it unless absolutely necessary for work etc.. let me know what the issue turns out to be please
      05-28-2020, 04:15 AM   #15
beematthews
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah sounds exactly like my problem. Have put off driving it unless absolutely necessary for work etc.. let me know what the issue turns out to be please
Picking up the car today. It needed a new egr which luckily got covered under warranty, so hopefully all will be well now
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:51 AM   #16
Chrisscott94
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Picking up the car today. It needed a new egr which luckily got covered under warranty, so hopefully all will be well now
Just had mine in the garage and plugged into the computer today. Came up as EGR faults but they said it might possibly the arm on the EGR either opening too far or closing too tight. The codes have been wiped now and the car drives like normal now. Will keep an eye on it but the garage says they see no reason to change it. Maybe put some additives in the fuel to give it a clean out.
      05-28-2020, 06:58 AM   #17
beematthews
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Just had mine in the garage and plugged into the computer today. Came up as EGR faults but they said it might possibly the arm on the EGR either opening too far or closing too tight. The codes have been wiped now and the car drives like normal now. Will keep an eye on it but the garage says they see no reason to change it. Maybe put some additives in the fuel to give it a clean out.
Hopefully it goes well for you now 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #18
beematthews
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think when mine went in it had 5 egr faults
Appreciate 0