F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 steering problem
proTUNING Freaks

11-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Kaltrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 50i Msport

F30 steering problem

So today I was driving and was taking a right when slightly my wheel was kind of locked turning right. Thought it was maybe something on the road, tried other right turns and it feels like it’s getting stuck on something turning right. Turning left is perfectly fine. Also when I’m stationary the wheel turns fine only maybe when the car is about +15mph and turning a bit aggressive. I have a feeling if I was going faster 35+ And turning aggressive it won’t let me turn fully right.

I lifted the car up and checked and took the shielding off to see if there’s any physical damage. All seems to be good and nothing was loose. I have scan tool and scanned the car and nothing was showing other than an abs code that came a day before I experienced this. I was in a parking lot and it was a slight downhill. It was night and it just recently rained/snowed so it was slippery. I was going down the hill and the car was sliding very very slow down the hill as the wheels were still and the abs/dsc malfunction came up for 20 seconds maybe and once I got going it went away. And abs works fine and the code didn’t show up again once removed. Any one have any idea what the weird steering lock could come from. I plan on recalibration the steering to see if that goes away.

Does anyone know what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #2
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Kaltrin & Others,

Pls post what you find about this prob.
I have felt a similar thing where the car doesn't want to straighten from a right turn, but will want to stop a few degrees before straight ahead. I took out the M4 LCAs suspecting they didn't agree with the electric steering, but the prob persisted.
I just got a good alignment, and the symptom seems to be gone or way better, but I need more driving time since the prob was sort of intermittent.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 10-30-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Kaltrin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 50i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Kaltrin & Others,

I have felt a similar thing where the car doesn't want to straighten from a right turn, but will want to stop a few degrees before straight ahead. I took out the M4 LCAs suspecting they didn't agree with the electric steering, but the prob persisted.
I just got a good alignment, and the symptom seems to be gone or way better, but I need more driving time since the prob was sort of intermittent.

Murf

I found out what it was. My VRSF chargepipe was in contact with my steering rack. I wiggled the VRSF pipe a bit and tightened it. It seemed like it fixed the problem, but I'm going to assume it going to come back. If you have a VRSF charge pipe it's most likely it.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      02-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #4
niino2595
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaltrin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Kaltrin & Others,

Murf

I found out what it was. My VRSF chargepipe was in contact with my steering rack. I wiggled the VRSF pipe a bit and tightened it. It seemed like it fixed the problem, but I'm going to assume it going to come back. If you have a VRSF charge pipe it's most likely it.
Thank you, just came into this problem today and also just got my car back from having the vrsf charge pipe installed!
Appreciate 0