F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Harman Kardon EQ Settings
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
CaptainSloww
Rep
Drives: F30

Harman Kardon EQ Settings

Since I was dissapointed with the original performance of the H/K Sound System, at some point at the beginning of having my car I discovered this thread by glennQNYC :

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719

I tried some of the settings posted there and I finally found one of them, that with some very little tweaks, made me finally enjoy the system.

But I never made a copy of my final settings and neither took note of who posted the reply that I took as a reference.

Anyways, few weeks ago my car was reseted at the service so I had to re-equalize the system. My first thought was to visit this thread and try again all the settings but I finally decided to give it a try by myself.

When I was satisfied with the result, I came here to share it with you, but over the path I found a quite interesting thread, by packetpilot in the F80 Forum, about coding the NBT unit with some Bang&Olufsen DSP parameters:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1322442

Fortunately I was able to successfully do the coding because, in my opinion, it improves the performance of the Logic7 DSP, specially in the medium frequencies and definition departments. So I re-equalized my system starting from scratch again and somehow, even with the alleged difference of algorythms of both DSPs, I ended up with quite similar settings. Which I guess is because of the kind of sound signature I enjoy.

So without any further to addo, I want to share with you my settings for both DSPs.

Harman/Kardon:

Treble +1
Bass +3
Balance 0
Fader +2

Logic7 ON

100 Hz -6
200 Hz -8
500 Hz -6
1 kHz +3
2 kHz -6
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +2

Bang&Olufsen Coding MOD:

Treble 0
Bass +2
Balance 0
Fader +1

Expanded ON

100 Hz -6
200 Hz -9
500 Hz -6
1 kHz +2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -3
10 kHz +3

Thanks to glennQNYC and packetpilot for their original threads!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

I used glennQNYC settings as well and then tweaked them ( a small bit) to my taste. For sure a good base point. I just happen to like a touch more bass.
      03-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
CaptainSloww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I used glennQNYC settings as well and then tweaked them ( a small bit) to my taste. For sure a good base point. I just happen to like a touch more bass.

For sure, glennQNYC post was totally inspiring!

I am not a basshead at all, but I certainly love bass. I listen to a wide variety of genres and tried to make the sound work on all of them. But electro, rock and hip-hop are some of my favourites genres, so the sound signature is definitely coloured and by any means neutral. Don't get fooled by the numbers.

I toned down the lowest frequencies to keep control of the messy mid and mid-lows of the original system. But at the same time I tried to keep the bass as tight as possible since I haven't made any hardware modifications, my system is stock. Visually it doesn't make any sense but aurally it does, for me at least! As always sound perception is something subjective.

Last edited by CaptainSloww; 03-27-2018 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
andlloyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Tone Settings 2019

Wanted to post my Harman Kardon system settings used in my 2015 F32. I experimented with the now-ubiquitous GlennNYC's settings, which did not quite do it for me. As you'll see, I boosted treble -- also moved the fader towards the rear somewhat as I found the soundstage too much oriented towards the mono center speaker. On the EQ, I played with the sliders to my satisfaction -- for the first time, this mediocre (IMO) system provides an involving level of sound reproduction for music.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
buggydrvr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 40i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSloww View Post
Since I was dissapointed with the original performance of the H/K Sound System, at some point at the beginning of having my car I discovered this thread by glennQNYC :

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=954719

I tried some of the settings posted there and I finally found one of them, that with some very little tweaks, made me finally enjoy the system.

But I never made a copy of my final settings and neither took note of who posted the reply that I took as a reference.

Anyways, few weeks ago my car was reseted at the service so I had to re-equalize the system. My first thought was to visit this thread and try again all the settings but I finally decided to give it a try by myself.

When I was satisfied with the result, I came here to share it with you, but over the path I found a quite interesting thread, by packetpilot in the F80 Forum, about coding the NBT unit with some Bang&Olufsen DSP parameters:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1322442

Fortunately I was able to successfully do the coding because, in my opinion, it improves the performance of the Logic7 DSP, specially in the medium frequencies and definition departments. So I re-equalized my system starting from scratch again and somehow, even with the alleged difference of algorythms of both DSPs, I ended up with quite similar settings. Which I guess is because of the kind of sound signature I enjoy.

So without any further to addo, I want to share with you my settings for both DSPs.

Harman/Kardon:

Treble +1
Bass +3
Balance 0
Fader +2

Logic7 ON

100 Hz -6
200 Hz -8
500 Hz -6
1 kHz +3
2 kHz -6
5 kHz -2
10 kHz +2

Bang&Olufsen Coding MOD:

Treble 0
Bass +2
Balance 0
Fader +1

Expanded ON

100 Hz -6
200 Hz -9
500 Hz -6
1 kHz +2
2 kHz -4
5 kHz -3
10 kHz +3

Thanks to glennQNYC and packetpilot for their original threads!

Curiosly, I'd like to know if you prefer the coded settings or logic7?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #6
CaptainSloww
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggydrvr View Post
Curiosly, I'd like to know if you prefer the coded settings or logic7?

I definitely prefer the coded settings. The DSP parameters of the Bang&Olufsen system help to add some clarity and a touch of spaciality too (in case you are using the “Expanded” mode).

Anyway the Harman Kardon system is what it is. If you are not willing to upgrade it, I guess that through tweaking the EQ to reduce it’s medium range harshness and bass boominess, you can get a decent sound. Specially with the B&O Mod.

I started using Tidal HiFi on a daily basis, including on my conmutes and I realized that, with such a HQ source, my last settings where totally wrong on some frequencies, resulting as some people said, in a muddy bass sound.

So now I have this EQ:

Treble 0
Bass 0
Balance 0
Fader +1

Expanded ON

100 Hz -6
200 Hz -9
500 Hz -5
1 kHz -4
2 kHz -2
5 kHz -6
10 kHz -3

Now I feel the sound a tad more neutral, and the bass, without being something crazy, has more presence.

The mids are still the critical point, I can’t get them to sound natural or at least uncanned. But I guess that this is more a hardware limitation at this point. Maybe changing the mid drivers and adding a subwoofer would make a big difference, but again it would imply doing major labors on the car.

So as far of keeping it simple, I am happy with the current setup.

By the way, since I am using Tidal Hifi, I decided to give a chance to routing the sound through a USB DAC, and for the ones that are considering it, I can tell you that it makes a big difference when using HQ sources, almost like going from bluetooth to wired. So I encourage you to do it in case you are hesitating.

Besides, you can use it with headphones and home speakers, not just at the car, so the investment is maximized!
Appreciate 0