F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Best way to lose weight?
GetBMWParts

08-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Operate on a calorie deficit
Yup. I am
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #24
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spgm5 View Post
Maybe it's time to dive deeper into dieting and start tracking your macros. In order to do that, you'll have to figure out your maintenance macros and create a deficit from there.

Stick to lean proteins, clean carbs (fruits, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc). Keeps fats to natural nut butters, olive oil, avocados and whole nuts. Incorporate veggies into your diet, it helps with keeping you full and not snacking. Not including all the micronutrients you're currently missing out on.

Add more weigh training days into your schedule. Cut down on cardio. Your body will go through a recomposition phase where your weight may not decrease but you will be replacing fat with muscle.
I am tracking a lot. My snacking includes veggies, fruits, skinny popcorn, protein bar.

My meat/poultry includes grill items or sometimes burger.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #25
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrain View Post
You're doing way too much steady state cardio, not enough weight training and you're not eating enough.
I have to control my intake. Not taking more than 1200-1500 calories a day and burning 700-800 calories a day.

I do mix my cardo: treadmill, cycling. And once a week, aggressive weight-training where I burn 600 calories in 50 minutes.

With my cardo: I keep my heart rate between 120-130.
And with my weight-training/cross-training: I keep my heart rate between 130-160.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Too many high glycemic carbs (rice, bread, oatmeal, honey, snacks?) cause your insulin levels to rise which promotes fat storage and blocks fat burning. Have you had your blood tested recently? If so, what was your fasting glucose and triglyceride levels?

Look into Keto (low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet). Stick with whole natural un-processed foods whenever possible.
Trying my best. And keeping away from junk food, carbs, white bread, white rice, etc.
And I haven't done insulin levels check. But fat is 30% and its too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #27
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBulldog View Post
Honestly there is not much complicated when you are at that body fat. What I mean is it will simply shed off if you can find the discipline. Eat clean, always. Simple... nothing fried or processed, for now. Try not to overeat. 1 Hour of solid training every day, mixed with a little bit of cardio (1 or 2 days off). You can mix weight traning and HIIT. The hard part is just resisting urges with food. At the end of every month every little cheat meal you have will make a big difference. Simple cardio will not shed off the weight you want. If you go too low on your calorie deficit you will lose weight but also a lot of strength which you should retain. I think you should eat at maintenance. The MyFitnessPal app gives you simplified idea of what you are eating and a ballpark of calories, you should always use it. If you eat at maintenance and are training hard every day you end up continuing to burn calories all day. FYI, I'm about 11% BF, used to be around 7% and now trying to pack on more muscle.
I am on MyFitnessPal as well Its a great app.
30% fat on my body, I have no clue where it is. I do not look 195lbs with 30% but its the reality Everyone think I am around 180lbs lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #28
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op....you are going to get a lot of different suggestions and do’s and don’ts on this topic. The bottom line is you may have to experiment a bit to find the right combination that works for you. Arkie6 makes a good point keeping it simple.

Eating clean and avoiding processed foods high in sodium and sugar is key. Drink lots of water. Take a probiotic to help aid digestion. Fresh fruits veggies and lean meats. Keep complex carbs to a minimum. Is a good general rule of thumb. You may also want to consider trying intermittent fasting.

As for exercising/training doing bigger more complex total body movements will help tone and shape your body while working multiple muscle groups at once. Keep your workouts fresh and varied, not repeating the same things week after week. Otherwise your body will adapt and change will come to a stop. Although it sounds cliche “Muscle confusion” is a real thing and it works.

Hope this may help a bit....good luck!

Yup, I am doing that. Thanks for good words/advice
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
First of all why are you eating peanut butter? My friends eat peanut butter specifically to bulk up, if your trying to lose weight stop eating it.

The only thing you need to do is burn more calories then you take in and you will lose weight. Are you sure you are counting calories correctly? I have had a few co-workers say they count calories but they dont put into account their soda/alcohol intake or the huge amount of snacks throughout the day at work.

Also do your self a favor and just eat dinner, stick to filling, low calorie dinners, like chicken and salmon.

Yes as someone else said, if you continue working out at the gym you will replace fat with muscle but that is not the cause of your weight gain.

Not eating much peanut butter, just have 1 skinny peanut butter mix with oat meal. I am very minimum on carbs. Getting more protein and fat. Need fat for energy And no sugar, sodas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #30
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep

THANKS everyone for inputs. Appreciate it.

So far, in 3 weeks: I have lost 3 lbs.
I am at 192, from 195lbs. By following what I have mentioned on first post...

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 08:47 AM   #31
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Hello ALL,

I am trying to lose weight from past 18 months. With no luck

Weight: 195lbs
Body Fat: 30%
Height: 5'9"
Fat Deposits: lower belly, lower back, love handles, face/chin

So from 2 weeks, I have been aggressive and started the following routine:

Treadmill: Morning and Evening (total of 800 calories burn/day) for 5 days/week. So total I am burning about 3500-4000 calories a week on treadmill.
Weight-lifting: once a week, burning 500 calories.
Give and take: I am burning around 4000 calories per week combined.

Breakfast: oatmeal/milk/nuts/peanut butter/honey, about 350 calories.
Lunch: pretty heavy lunch mix of meat or poultry, rice or bread, about 400-700 calories.
Dinner: snacking, about 200-300 calories.

I really want to get lean, fit, healthy, athletic body and be around 170lbs with body fat of 20-23%.

Please advice, comment. I am really struggling in losing 20 lbs.
THANKS!!!
According to this basic calculator, your BMR would require 1800 calories a day. That doesn't include any of your exercise. (The Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy expended per day at rest.)

So, you're either far underestimating your caloric intake or you're far overestimating your workouts. Probably a little bit of both - how are you figuring your workout expenditures?

If you're only eating ~1350 cals/day there is no reason you should not be losing weight.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #32
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Hey man. I genuiniely want you to succeed.

If i was to guess, all the calories you put in there is not accurate. At the end of the day losing weight as others have mentioned is caloriie deficit.

Figure out what your base metabolism is then make sure to count the foods accurately. I find most people dont count foods accurately or thr exercise is not accurate.

Download myfitnesspal as they have a big library but get the hang of how much food you are really eating.

At your size you should probably be around 2000 calories genrrally to get to 170lbs.

Also understand eating carbs and salt as well as how strenuous you sre lifting may make you carry more water so the scale is not always right.

Good luck
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #33
sh1nn3r
Private
Rep
Drives: M6

For everyone dieting is differnt. You really need to find out what works best with your lifestyle. For me I have been doing the KETO diet and it really works well for me. My energey is through the roof i'm never hungry and im losing body fat not muscle mass.

Last edited by sh1nn3r; 08-14-2018 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
mantis276.00
      08-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #34
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
use ketosis
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #35
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

My advice is to track calories (and protein, carbs, and fat) and to try and stay at a daily caloric deficit of 200-500 or a weekly deficit of about 3000.

Start here: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutcal.htm

There are lots of apps to track calories with My Fitness Pal being the most popular.

You'll probably want to be at ~2,000 calories a day and try to keep the protein up around 160-200g a day to ensure you aren't losing muscle (and hopefully you will add some). I would lift 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week with one active rest day (walking but nothing too strenuous to let your body rest). In my experience, lifting is a better/easier way to lose weight than running. Plus, as you add a little muscle, your metabolism will increase.

If after a week (or whenever) you start to feel less energy, you can always have a day where you eat more to refuel and let your body know you're not starving. One day of excess clean calories wont hurt if you have been good, just listen to your body and stay healthy.

This should work and you'll likely lose 2 lbs a week to start and it'll taper down to 1lb a week as your body fat drops.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #36
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

from someone has been 50lbs overweight from 13-21. 6 pack from 21-25. gained 55 lbs back 25-26. 26-current back to 4-pack.....consistency will set you free. You MUST MAKE A LIFESTYLE change you are comfortable with or you will fall back into old habits.

1. eat a shit load of chicken breast and lean meats
2. bust you ass in gym

CONSISTENCY and weigh yourself in a month. Unless you can handle the emotional roller coaster of weighing yourself more frequently
Appreciate 1
NickyC17238.00
      08-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #37
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
According to this basic calculator, your BMR would require 1800 calories a day. That doesn't include any of your exercise. (The Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy expended per day at rest.)

So, you're either far underestimating your caloric intake or you're far overestimating your workouts. Probably a little bit of both - how are you figuring your workout expenditures?

If you're only eating ~1350 cals/day there is no reason you should not be losing weight.
If you are 190 lbs and only eating 1350 calories a day, your body is likely in some form of starvation mode where it wont burn fat unless it has to. Get back close to 2000 calories and you should jump start your metabolism and should start losing weight.

I've seen it too may times where someone is trying to lose weight but isn't eating enough. You have to eat enough protein that your body doesn't start burning muscle (this is at least 1/2 g of protein per lb of body weight, so 95g of protein minimum for a 190 lb man). You also have to eat enough nutrients to keep your body happy, that's why outside of the protein you need to be eating a lot of vegetables and other healthy foods.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #38
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
from someone has been 50lbs overweight from 13-21. 6 pack from 21-25. gained 55 lbs back 25-26. 26-current back to 4-pack.....consistency will set you free. You MUST MAKE A LIFESTYLE change you are comfortable with or you will fall back into old habits.

1. eat a shit load of chicken breast and lean meats
2. bust you ass in gym

CONSISTENCY and weigh yourself in a month. Unless you can handle the emotional roller coaster of weighing yourself more frequently
Better yet, throw the scale out. The mirror will tell you everything you need to know...
Appreciate 3
      08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #39
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
I cut 55lbs in 5 months since march. You MUST be brutally honest with your calorie tracking and not cheat at all. As long as you're in a legitimate deficit, you'll lose weight.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #40
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Better yet, throw the scale out. The mirror will tell you everything you need to know...
truth...I weigh myself everyday and its toxic but I just do it for the hell of it. When you are 5-10 pounds away from being shredded. your weight is pretty irrelevant to how you look
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #41
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I'll keep it somewhat simple... To loose weight = taking in less calories then you are burning.

I would bump up weight training to at least 3x a week... build more muscle. Muscle needs energy so the more you have the more fat you can burn. After weight training, 20 mins cardio (try something like HIIT or interval sessions of cardio - its better then steady rate cardio for your situation)

Also, are you sure your macros are calculated correctly? Unless you are eating breakfast like a bird, a cup of oatmeal, milk, nuts, PB, etc. is 300 calories total? Seems way way off. Do you know how many calories a T spoon of honey is? Just a T spoon of PB is? Just to do the math for you thats nearly 300 calories right there and thats being very conservative with the servings.

Judging by your weight, you should be around 1800-2300 cals a day and still be in a deficit with cardio. Bump up cals back up and if you aren't losing 1-2 lbs a week, drop 250 cals a day and reassess.

Lastly - be patient... doesn't happen overnight. Aim for 1-2 lbs a week. Doesn't sound like a lot, but thats 8 lb in one month.

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #42
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Quote:
truth...I weigh myself everyday and its toxic but I just do it for the hell of it. When you are 5-10 pounds away from being shredded. your weight is pretty irrelevant to how you look
Agreed. When I went from 195 to 185 (maybe 18% to 13%) and the difference in look was HUGE. Bigger than going from 225-195 IMO.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #43
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
Agreed. When I went from 195 to 185 (maybe 18% to 13%) and the difference in look was HUGE. Bigger than going from 225-195 IMO.
fo real lol I went from 245-200 and the change from 200-190 was more drastic than anything. Keep on grindin everyone. success is never owned, rent is due everyday
Appreciate 1
xander_g955.00
      08-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #44
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

burn more calories than you put in
Appreciate 0