F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Best way to lose weight?
ARMA SPEED

08-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #67
Yugo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Run first thing in the am, on an empty stomach. Absolute fat burner.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #68
Doug Hoover
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Not sure if this has been brought up, here goes.
About 4 years ago I read a book titled "Wheat Belly" written by a Dr. Check out the comments section on Amazon.
I learned that our wheat has been changed by hybridization into a piss ass plant.
It is grown and sprayed with glycosate (Round Up) and it no longer affects the wheat. Then sprayed again right after harvest as it is also a drying agent. So, as the wheat grows in this chemical miasma it takes round up into the plant. Which you eat. Round up in your body does bad stuff in your gut and immune system. Wheat is also engineered to make you hungry. So, we snack more. A grocery store favorite, it creates more sales.
My story starts with reading that book and stopping eating wheat. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months by that alone. I simply stopped overeating at the dinner table and went to bed with out a evening snack, but not hungry. My friend who also read the book threw away his prednisone medicine as his rheumatoid arthritis went away and soon lost 60 lbs.
I lost my irritatible bowel syndrome and have since gone gluten free, all organic and Non GMO. Sometimes it sucks and it's expensive. But at almost 73 I take no meds, no high blood pressure or diabetes. For exercise, I walk the dog and ride a bike 4 miles a day.
So check out what might be killing you slowly by eating food developed to have you crave and pay for more food that may send you to the medical system, big pharma and a host of problems you wonder why you have. Read the book and let what you learn to even better things.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #69
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Hope the progress is going well. I thought I'd chime in as someone who is actually roughly the same size, age and goal. (I'm 32, 5'10").

In March I was 225lbs and I am now floating around 195 - 205.

I hit the gym 4 - 5 times a week with a similar routine, 25 mins treadmill. Hit the weights for 20 mins (varying routines) and 25 mins on bike. When I need to mix it up due to soreness or issues I hit up an RPM class as an alternative. My diet is simple. I try to watch what I eat and drink all the time. Keeping it low sugar, low fat, low carb. I know it has to be long term sustainable, so I am not overly strict, I just try to make good choices (we all know what good choices are (healthy options when eating out)) ideally all natural foods.

I know personally I hit a frustrating plateau at roughly 210 and I'm hitting it again now at 200. There are weeks where I notice there is less weight drop, but generally this could depend on multiple factors. So I keep the long term goal and simply set goals within my workouts knowing that weight loss is a slow process. Goal setting started with a 10 minute mile test on the treadmill. Now my goal is the 8 minute mile. Increase weight resistance where possible. All mini-goals to get to the overall goal of losing weight.

That's my journey.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #70
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yeah, it all depends on your goals, but the formula is the same. I am 34 5'10" myself and have the goal of not losing strength. I started ~6 weeks ago at 222lbs and am down to about 210lbs now. Squat work set (3x 4-6 reps) still >315lbs, bench work sets have dropped slightly to 305lbs, deadlift work sets still ~355lbs. I haven't maxed in a bit but my work sets are generally ~80-85% of my max based on history.

In my cut phase I am hitting macro targets as close as I can so I don't lose too quickly (aka lose muscle too) and I am doing compound lifts 5x a week and only doing HIIT cardio, no long runs for me aside from soccer matches 1-2 times a week. Seems to work well for me.

edit: just had blood work done as well and all my numbers are looking pretty good so that was a nice indicator of progress (they are greatly improved over the numbers last year when I was working out the same amount but eating whatever I wanted)
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #71
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
Hope the progress is going well. I thought I'd chime in as someone who is actually roughly the same size, age and goal. (I'm 32, 5'10").

In March I was 225lbs and I am now floating around 195 - 205.

I hit the gym 4 - 5 times a week with a similar routine, 25 mins treadmill. Hit the weights for 20 mins (varying routines) and 25 mins on bike. When I need to mix it up due to soreness or issues I hit up an RPM class as an alternative. My diet is simple. I try to watch what I eat and drink all the time. Keeping it low sugar, low fat, low carb. I know it has to be long term sustainable, so I am not overly strict, I just try to make good choices (we all know what good choices are (healthy options when eating out)) ideally all natural foods.

I know personally I hit a frustrating plateau at roughly 210 and I'm hitting it again now at 200. There are weeks where I notice there is less weight drop, but generally this could depend on multiple factors. So I keep the long term goal and simply set goals within my workouts knowing that weight loss is a slow process. Goal setting started with a 10 minute mile test on the treadmill. Now my goal is the 8 minute mile. Increase weight resistance where possible. All mini-goals to get to the overall goal of losing weight.

That's my journey.
Is that 8-minute mile on the treadmill or on the track or roads ? Anyway you just inspired, now I'm going to try to put in am 8-minurte mile or do whatever to get there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #72
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is that 8-minute mile on the treadmill or on the track or roads ? Anyway you just inspired, now I'm going to try to put in am 8-minurte mile or do whatever to get there.
But, Facebook says I only have to do a 9-minute to get a break on life insurance
Appreciate 2
overcoil3066.50
3GFX722.50
      08-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #73
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

A lot of talk about HIIT but not a lot of help on how exactly to do it.

Try the Freeletics Bodyweight app (paid). I have been doing consistently for the past 3 years and it is fantastic. I have convinced several colleagues who just saw me going regularly to the gym during lunch and they are addicted now as well.
They also offer food plans and also have a gym/running app (that I don't use) and have a great community.

You can also train from anywhere, at any time. No fancy gym equipment required. This helps a lot when you need to travel for work or are on holiday and live out of a hotel room. You keep scores on your past performance so you track how your fitness is progressing. Once you see that you're completing a workout at a slower pace than usual, you will push yourself to new heights to beat your PB.

Check them out - there is nothing like it. A great thing about this type of training is that, unlike regular weight lifting and running, you will be burning fat for a long time after you completed your training. The coach exercises are based on your profile by completing fitness assessment and goals i.e. fat burning, muscle building, general fitness etc.

https://www.freeletics.com/en/

Last edited by Chasing Dreams; 08-22-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #74
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Treadmill, since that is where I'm working out.

I do a test day (generally when I need to squeeze in a short workout do to time constraint) once every few weeks. I push hard to see how I am versus the target and generally its a short workout. Yesterday I did the 8 minute mile with a 2 degree incline. I'm happy and will now set a new goal speed/time wise. When I started a few months ago I struggled to crack the 10 minute mile.

Generally every week I increase in some way the weight, speed, incline etc. Even though some weeks I only increase speed by 0.1mph, in 5 weeks thats another 0.5mph to by jogging pace. Long term increase I'm in no rush and enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #75
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
If you are 190 lbs and only eating 1350 calories a day, your body is likely in some form of starvation mode where it wont burn fat unless it has to. Get back close to 2000 calories and you should jump start your metabolism and should start losing weight.

I've seen it too may times where someone is trying to lose weight but isn't eating enough. You have to eat enough protein that your body doesn't start burning muscle (this is at least 1/2 g of protein per lb of body weight, so 95g of protein minimum for a 190 lb man). You also have to eat enough nutrients to keep your body happy, that's why outside of the protein you need to be eating a lot of vegetables and other healthy foods.
Dude don't want to listen, who only loses 3 pounds in 3 weeks? Eat more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop doing so much cardio and pick up some weights. No full body shit, you're not a woman trying to tone. Eat clean, eat more.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #76
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
No full body shit, you're not a woman trying to tone.
Sounds like you are the type that would cry like one if you completed a full bodyweight workout.

Speak of things you know, otherwise just keep your mouth shut.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:34 AM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Sounds like he knows what hes doing most guys do split so can focus on specific body part not half ass every body part at once and pretend you did something.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #78
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

phentermine works surprisingly well, at least for 8-12 weeks. but its not uncommon to get 10-12% body weight loss in that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #79
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Sounds like he knows what hes doing most guys do split so can focus on specific body part not half ass every body part at once and pretend you did something.
You also fit my last sentence. Speak once you have actually done it or keep it closed.
I am guessing you are an American? Do you think your Marine Corps also trains its recruits the wrong way? They should also focus on a specific body part instead because full body is for women?
They're probably also pretending they did something... The real men are in the gym focussing on one particular body part.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #80
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

What do you mean actually done it. I've trained with bodybuilders and powerlifters both over the years. Never seen any do full body other than as warm up after lay off for injury or something of that sort. I guess you could count days I do squat bench and dead together in preparation for a meet full body also?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #81
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I think you have a misunderstanding of what full body exactly is. It's training using your full bodyweight. It is not lifting weights where you are training and legs, back and chest on the same day.

I have done bodybuilding and now shifted to HIIT (full bodyweight)l and, honestly, after practising both, I can tell you HIIT is much harder, will give you much better gains and improve your general fitness level like no other.
With all due respect to all the bodybuilders out there, it's a completely different game.

Here are some screenshots from some the workouts I regularly do. I challenge you to complete one of these and after can you tell me whether it's for women.

file2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]

file1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]

file by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/141393922@N03/]
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #82
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Just eat healthy, limit sugar, alcohol and bad fats. I do strictly a vegan diet for the past 6 months with an occasional piece of fish maybe 1 time a week. The carb fad makes no sense in terms fueling your body depending on the workout. I am a distance runner and average about 40 - 45 miles of running a week plus strength training. With this type of mileage you have to have carbs to fuel your body for runs that long. Stick with lots of vegetables, fruits whole grains, beans and rice.

I will tell you I have trained a lot in running and since going vegan 6 months ago I not only feel better but have posted my fastest run times I have ever done from distance runs to speed run. Anything over 90 minutes I supplement with gels during the run to prevent burnout when your glycogen levels plumment.

The key to weight loss is to always remember 80% of weight loss is food intake and 20% training. If the foods arent there all the working out wont do much and wont give you the results you want. You may start to look better but internally you will not be as healthy. Not sure if you drink alcohol but that one will creep up. The sugars converted in the body equate out to 7 grams while fat is 9 grams. Alcohol is pretty much just as bad as fat regardless of the type of alcohol.

Hope that helps give you some tips on weight loss, but I will tell you in my last check up. My blood pressure was on the dot perfect with a resting heart rate of 40. I know that seems low but that is very common for distance runners. Stick with it man and avoid the temptation of garbage food.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #83
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Dreams View Post
You also fit my last sentence. Speak once you have actually done it or keep it closed.
I am guessing you are an American? Do you think your Marine Corps also trains its recruits the wrong way? They should also focus on a specific body part instead because full body is for women?
They're probably also pretending they did something... The real men are in the gym focussing on one particular body part.
Don't be a dick, we are trying to help, IG @edsadventures you can see for yourself. FYI thats me small, I'm bulking right now at 250.

If you look hard enough you'll see pics of me at over 300, and down to 195. So yeah I've done it.

Last edited by Madbrain; 08-26-2018 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #84
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrain View Post
Don't be a dick, we are trying to help, IG @edsadventures you can see for yourself. FYI thats me small, I'm bulking right now at 250.

If you look hard enough you'll see pics of me at over 300, and down to 195. So yeah I've done it.
is that u at 300 holding the beer in the button down shirt ?

Last edited by overcoil; 08-26-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #85
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Oh I know high volume is hard no arguments from me there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #86
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
chk out his instagram, I dont think he's hitting his legs enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #87
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Dont have any social media besides this
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #88
Madbrain
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
chk out his instagram, I dont think he's hitting his legs enough.
Facts! 43 and torn meniscus in both knees. No excuse but sucks nonetheless.
Appreciate 0