F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Virgin media TV hardware/cables
Studio RSR

01-20-2021, 03:05 AM   #1
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Garage List
Virgin media TV hardware/cables

I'm after a bit of advice with regard to the cables used by Virgin media to run their set top boxes.

I currently use Virgin media internet as it is by far the fastest and most reliable in our area coupled with Sky Q TV which has worked well. However after several years of unrealistic price increases from both providers it is has got me considering my options.

I've had a tempting offer to go with virgin broadband and TV as a bundle which is much cheaper than using separate providers. I knew this was the case but always preferred the sky equipment, Sky Q is particularly convenient in that the multi room runs over wifi so no concerns with cables etc and the mini boxes slot neatly behind the TV's on the wall.

I understand that each virgin set top box requires both ethernet/wifi, and the tv cable direct to each box? I have recently rewired the full house and decorated internally and externally so I have no desire to start running cables around the house. What I would like to know but can't get a straight answer from any of the sales assistants is what type of cable is required to be ran to the boxes? Is it standard Coax that runs from your basic tv aerial or something more advanced? I've ran Coax and Cat5e to each TV in the house so if it is just regular Coax then I'm laughing, if not then I'm committed to Sky.

I know about the IPTV options and have considered them but I'd rather stick with a legit provider for now if I can get a decent deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #2
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_Touring View Post
I'm after a bit of advice with regard to the cables used by Virgin media to run their set top boxes.

I currently use Virgin media internet as it is by far the fastest and most reliable in our area coupled with Sky Q TV which has worked well. However after several years of unrealistic price increases from both providers it is has got me considering my options.

I've had a tempting offer to go with virgin broadband and TV as a bundle which is much cheaper than using separate providers. I knew this was the case but always preferred the sky equipment, Sky Q is particularly convenient in that the multi room runs over wifi so no concerns with cables etc and the mini boxes slot neatly behind the TV's on the wall.

I understand that each virgin set top box requires both ethernet/wifi, and the tv cable direct to each box? I have recently rewired the full house and decorated internally and externally so I have no desire to start running cables around the house. What I would like to know but can't get a straight answer from any of the sales assistants is what type of cable is required to be ran to the boxes? Is it standard Coax that runs from your basic tv aerial or something more advanced? I've ran Coax and Cat5e to each TV in the house so if it is just regular Coax then I'm laughing, if not then I'm committed to Sky.

I know about the IPTV options and have considered them but I'd rather stick with a legit provider for now if I can get a decent deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
You will be disappointed with Virgin tv interface if you are used to Sky. If I were you I would stick to current set up but haggle the price down.

First phone sky cancellation (retention) department explain to them that you thinking of leaving because of the price rises and virgin offers tv package for £x amount and ask them to match it, if they don't proceed with cancellation- 30 days notice. With sky, retention department will phone you again with better offer in the first week of your cancellation period so just accept their offer if you happy with it. If no improved offer you can always go through with cancellation or phone them a week before the end of cancellation and tell them you changed your mind.

Next thing is to phone Virgin. Tell them same story and that sky is offering broadband for £x and ask them to match. The current going rate for Virgin is that they can come down to £18 a month for 100mb broadband.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 03:35 AM   #3
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

To the OP, yes it’s Coax. We had the house completely renovated just over 4 years ago and ran Cat 6 and coax to several of the rooms. Added a second Virgin box during lockdown and they were able to piggyback onto the existing Coax from the central distribution point where the router is.

Also found the Ultimate Oomph package offers pretty good value at £79 with all the channels, excluding obviously Sky Atlantic, 500mb (shortly to be 600) and an unlimited SIM that allowed me to net off £20 a month.

The only thing to point out is that a next gen Virgin box is supposedly due before the middle of the year that is more akin to Sky Q and supposedly only needs Ethernet or WiFi.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:52 AM   #4
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrek View Post
You will be disappointed with Virgin tv interface if you are used to Sky. If I were you I would stick to current set up but haggle the price down.

First phone sky cancellation (retention) department explain to them that you thinking of leaving because of the price rises and virgin offers tv package for £x amount and ask them to match it, if they don't proceed with cancellation- 30 days notice. With sky, retention department will phone you again with better offer in the first week of your cancellation period so just accept their offer if you happy with it. If no improved offer you can always go through with cancellation or phone them a week before the end of cancellation and tell them you changed your mind.

Next thing is to phone Virgin. Tell them same story and that sky is offering broadband for £x and ask them to match. The current going rate for Virgin is that they can come down to £18 a month for 100mb broadband.

Good luck
Yeah I've never really been fussed on the virgin interface, I find it clunky and difficult to navigate. If the savings were significant though it would be something I could live with for what I use it.

I've been doing the haggling thing come renewal time for a while now, I will give it a go and see where we get but it does become tiresome calling back and forth all of the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:00 AM   #5
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
To the OP, yes it’s Coax. We had the house completely renovated just over 4 years ago and ran Cat 6 and coax to several of the rooms. Added a second Virgin box during lockdown and they were able to piggyback onto the existing Coax from the central distribution point where the router is.

Also found the Ultimate Oomph package offers pretty good value at £79 with all the channels, excluding obviously Sky Atlantic, 500mb (shortly to be 600) and an unlimited SIM that allowed me to net off £20 a month.

The only thing to point out is that a next gen Virgin box is supposedly due before the middle of the year that is more akin to Sky Q and supposedly only needs Ethernet or WiFi.
Thanks for that info mate, thats exactly what I've done and was hoping they could tie into that. All I'll need is a coax running from where the router is situated to the living room which wont me much trouble.

My mobile contract is due to end also so that offer of the unlimited sim would save us more. All added up its pretty tempting

I didn't realise there was a new box due out, I'll look into that. I imagine initially the offers wont be that great though.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:21 AM   #6
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

The cables used on VM are coax but are a higher quality coax WF100 I believe, are you planning on more than one set top box?.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:29 AM   #7
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
The cables used on VM are coax but are a higher quality coax WF100 I believe, are you planning on more than one set top box?.
We currently have one main box and two Sky Q mini boxes so would be looking to replicate that set up.

Just looking into the new Virgin 360 package that Cootie mentioned and it seems to be a more like for like set up to what I have with Sky Q which would be perfect.

*Edit: Seems they still require hardwiring if regular coax would still provide a decent HD picture I'd be fine with that, we dont have uhd on the mini boxes anyway. I just need to know if it would work
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #8
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

I have a Virgin Media Tivo box in the kitchen/breakfast room but not in the lounge. I connected the Tivo box to the lounge TV by Cat5 cable and used one of these HDMI extenders and it works perfectly. The 2nd Tivo box in the snug room can be controlled from the lounge too to access any saved programmes on the box. Works well. I needed an HDMI splitter too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #9
B58_Touring
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
I have a Virgin Media Tivo box in the kitchen/breakfast room but not in the lounge. I connected the Tivo box to the lounge TV by Cat5 cable and used one of these HDMI extenders and it works perfectly. The 2nd Tivo box in the snug room can be controlled from the lounge too to access any saved programmes on the box. Works well. I needed an HDMI splitter too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So is that similar to having the sky eye in another room from the old sky+ boxes? You could only watch whatever is on in the room with the box?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_Touring View Post
So is that similar to having the sky eye in another room from the old sky+ boxes? You could only watch whatever is on in the room with the box?
Yes it is but if I watch Sport on the big TV in the lounge then the other one is turned off so it doesn't matter to me.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Wouldn’t bother with TiVo
Appreciate 0