F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3G Discontinuation Notice
GetBMWParts

01-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #265
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Maybe you misunderstood the details of the letter but the "3G discontinuation" has nothing to do with the iDrive 4 EVO revision BMW is offering, since this system already runs on a 4G network, just not VoIP (Voice Over IP), which AT&T (BMW's NA carrier) is morphing solely into come 02/2022. This is coincidently but independently from them also shutting down their 3G network.

What this upgrade is offering is a revision your obsolete 4G telematics hardware (and software), to support VoIP (Voice Over IP), so you won't lose your ability to commence emergency calling but this is not actual migration from 3G to 4G, which is virtually impossible.

I am certain that if your vehicle already has an iDrive 4 EVO setup, this hardware upgrade applies to you and your model year only (2016). BMW NA customer service can run your VIN to confirm this.

The 2017 model year only requires a software update to support At&t 4G VoIP, as the hardware is already compatible for this changeover.
I wonder if there is some official documentation to evidence that ID4 EVO already runs on 4G. That would completely invalidate what my dealership is telling me. That would be fun
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #266
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F22 View Post
Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood the details of the letter but the "3G discontinuation" has nothing to do with the iDrive 4 EVO revision BMW is offering, since this system already runs on a 4G network, just not VoIP (Voice Over IP), which AT&T (BMW's NA carrier) is morphing solely into come 02/2022. This is coincidently but independently from them also shutting down their 3G network.

What this upgrade is offering is a revision your obsolete 4G telematics hardware (and software), to support VoIP (Voice Over IP), so you won't lose your ability to commence emergency calling but this is not actual migration from 3G to 4G, which is virtually impossible.

I am certain that if your vehicle already has an iDrive 4 EVO setup, this hardware upgrade applies to you and your model year only (2016). BMW NA customer service can run your VIN to confirm this.

The 2017 model year only requires a software update to support At&t 4G VoIP, as the hardware is already compatible for this changeover.
I wonder if there is some official documentation to evidence that ID4 EVO already runs on 4G. That would completely invalidate what my dealership is telling me. That would be fun
iDrive 4 EVO only runs on a 4G network, hence the "EVO" designation and kind of the point..

Anyone here with a 2015 F22 built in March or later? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1143681

Nav Pro OTA maps update: Too good to be true? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1116749

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #267
tardboi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

I was really hoping as the day drew nearer, a paid option would come up for those left behind 😢

Sucks to have 2015 MY
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      01-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #268
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardboi View Post
I was really hoping as the day drew nearer, a paid option would come up for those left behind 😢

Sucks to have 2015 MY
The joys of keeping up as tech forever advances unfortunately. I picked up a precoded EVO unit from an '18 car that I plan to pick up an ATM coded properly with the HU to get connected drive services working on my '14 F30.

At times I ask myself why am I going so far for the last status info in the myBMW app but my G05 has it so here I am
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #269
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
iDrive 4 EVO only runs on a 4G network, hence the "EVO" designation and kind of the point..

Anyone here with a 2015 F22 built in March or later? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1143681
I'm officially in a world of confusion. I got the car back from the dealership today after endless back and forth with no good outcome. When I got home, I looked at the telematics unit in the trunk. It is an ATM unit but references 3G! But my maps are NBT EVO. I didn't think this combo existed... Is the car just 'too early' of a March 2015 build?

When I look up my VIN on realoem and look up the telematics control unit for my car, only the 4G ATMs show up...

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:21 PM   #270
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm officially in a world of confusion. I got the car back from the dealership today after endless back and forth with no good outcome. When I got home, I looked at the telematics unit in the trunk. It is an ATM unit but references 3G! But my maps are NBT EVO. I didn't think this combo existed... Is the car just 'too early' of a March 2015 build?

When I look up my VIN on realoem and look up the telematics control unit for my car, only the 4G ATMs show up...

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2b154821_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...844b8cb2_b.jpg[/img]
That's a 3G unit..

Why do you assume it was an "EVO" version of ID4, where does it display this? Or are you just going off your vehicle's built date?

Your vehicle should of made the cutoff for a 4G telematics but it's possible it might of been built right at the bleeding edge of when BMW made the crossover from 3G to 4G.

As you can see by the 2 Series threads I earlier listed from 2015, some 03/2015 and beyond 2 Series was the first BMW vehicles to get 4G telemetry, with OTA map updates.

ID4 NBT Evo or the Evolution version specifically only came with 4G telematics, including 2GB of RAM to be able to download and cache large map updates. A 3G connection would not be able to complete this task, hence, this feature was only available in the EVO version of ID4.

Unfortunately, if that's the current equipment you have in your vehicle, for whatever reason, the dealer is correct in stating that this upgrade is not possible.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #271
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's a 3G unit..

Why do you assume it was an "EVO" version of ID4, where does it display this? Or are you just going off your vehicle's built date?

Your vehicle should of made the cutoff for a 4G telematics but it's possible it might of been built right at the bleeding edge of when BMW made the crossover from 3G to 4G.

As you can see by the 2 Series threads I earlier listed from 2015, some 03/2015 and beyond 2 Series was the first BMW vehicles to get 4G telemetry, with OTA map updates.

ID4 NBT Evo or the Evolution version of was specifically a 4G telematics, with 2GB of RAM to be able to the download the map updates wirelessly. A 3G connection would not be able to support this, hence when it was only available in the EVO version.

Unfortunately, if that's the current equipment you have in your vehicle, for whatever reason, the dealer is correct in stating that this upgrade is not possible.
It's no assumption, it's what the car shows me on the NAV screen attached.

Am I right in thinking there may still be a path possible if I upgrade my antenna as well? Or am I really SOL? Appreciate all your detailed responses

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:43 PM   #272
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a 3G unit..

ID4 NBT Evo or the Evolution version of was specifically a 4G telematics, with 2GB of RAM to be able to the download the map updates wirelessly. A 3G connection would not be able to support this, hence when it was only available in the EVO version.

Am I right in thinking there may still be a path possible if I upgrade my antenna as well? Or am I really SOL? Appreciate all your detailed responses

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Unfortunately, differences between the 3G and 4G hardware are immensely great.

For one, the chipsets consists of an array of logic gates and for compatibility reasons, there are just not enough available logic gates in the chips between the two to achieve this, even if it was upgradable with just a software flash to 4G from 3G.

In addition, 4G requires a lot more memory and buffering than 3G, since it supports a much higher data rate, which the current 3G iDrive hardware in your vehicle would not be able to support 4G.

So, I'm sorry to say, if your vehicle has a 3G hardware, it's stuck that way unless you rip everything out; from iDrive unit to telematics box and upgrade it all from scratch.

https://vocal.media/01/how-to-conver...to-a-4-g-phone
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #273
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a 3G unit..

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Unfortunately, differences between 3G and 4G are immense great.

For one, the chipsets consists of an array of logic gates and for compatibility reasons, there are just not enough available logic gates in the chips between the two to achieve this, even if was upgradable with software flash to 4G from 3G.

In addition, 4G requires a lot more memory and buffers than 3g, since it supports a much higher data rate, which the current 3G hardware in your vehicle would not be able to support 4G.

So, I'm sorry to say, if your vehicle has a 3G hardware, it's stuck that way unless you rip everything out; from iDrive unit to telematics unit and upgrade it all from scratch.

https://vocal.media/01/how-to-conver...to-a-4-g-phone
Thanks man. My rudimentary thinking was that I might be good on the iDrive side with NBT evo but I guess what you're saying is there must be a 3G and a 4G version of NBT evo. If that's the case I will bow out of this fight and just upgrade my iDrive so I can at least have CarPlay to retain some of the functionality I will use. Especially disappointed to be losing theft recovery and SOS services.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      01-07-2022, 01:44 AM   #274
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

I found a lot of interesting info on this subject in the link below:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post28428737
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:35 AM   #275
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Anyone else with a 2016 that supposedly cannot be upgraded?

If we're talking about mid sequence 2015's being at the bleeding edge of a hardware change the enables the software upgrade to work….

What sort of edge am I at?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 06:45 AM   #276
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Anyone else with a 2016 that supposedly cannot be upgraded?

If we're talking about mid sequence 2015's being at the bleeding edge of a hardware change the enables the software upgrade to work….

What sort of edge am I at?
Check the label for your telematics box in the trunk and see if it says 3G or 4G anywhere, that should give you a definitive answer.

If it says "4G" - which I'm guessing it does for a 2016 MY, then you're good to go for this upgrade offer.

You can also run the iDrive to the main ConnectDrive menu and see if "4G" displays on the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #277
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

This is the new TCM that the dealer installed in my 2016 with ID4 EVO. I've been having intermittent connected drive issues since it was swapped over.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-11-2022, 11:45 PM   #278
CrotchRokker
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

For my F34, I just received my mailed "Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is no technology upgrade available ..."

BMW just dropped the resale value of this car by over $2K !
I guess I might as well remove the shark fin.

My next car will be Audi.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:26 AM   #279
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrotchRokker View Post
For my F34, I just received my mailed "Unfortunately, for your vehicle, there is no technology upgrade available ..."

What year is your F34 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #280
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:

Quote:

My 2018 F30 is fine, but I just received a nicely packaged colored brochure for my 2016 F48 that states my X1 will lose functionality of its connected drive services because of the old telematics.

Edit: and that there was nothing that can be done!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 10:44 AM   #281
dthart
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
I got my notice today from BMWUSA too.

If you’re car is eligible, the Technology Upgrade to maintain Connected Drive services is FREE. (nice)
Would a 2015 428i GC be eligible for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:26 PM   #282
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Just got off the phone with BMWNA and they confirmed that my 2016 320i is equipped with NBT Evo ID 4.2.

They also confirmed what I already knew (via letter) that my vehicle is not eligible for the upgrade(s) needed to keep ConnectedDrive services active.

Also interesting to note, they did specifically mention aftermarket options being a possibility.

Anyone have insight on the easiest way (preferably software) to upgrade an NBT Evo ID 4.2 headunit to add functionalities including keeping ConnectedDrive operating?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #283
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Just got off the phone with BMWNA and they confirmed that my 2016 320i is equipped with NBT Evo ID 4.2.

They also confirmed what I already knew (via letter) that my vehicle is not eligible for the upgrade(s) needed to keep ConnectedDrive services active.

Also interesting to note, they did specifically mention aftermarket options being a possibility.

Anyone have insight on the easiest way (preferably software) to upgrade an NBT Evo ID 4.2 headunit to add functionalities including keeping ConnectedDrive operating?
Did you ask why other cars with ID4 are getting the upgrade? Is it a matter of your car being eligible for the upgrade (ie it can be done but they don't want to) vs being upgradable (ie you don't have the required bits) at all? Heck, my car was built 4 months before yours and was eligible with the same i drive as yours! I think you're getting hosed, try calling BMW genius.
Edit: does your screen show 4G? If so then your car should be upgradable.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #284
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Did you ask why other cars with ID4 are getting the upgrade? Is it a matter of your car being eligible for the upgrade (ie it can be done but they don't want to) vs being upgradable (ie you don't have the required bits) at all? Heck, my car was built 4 months before yours and was eligible with the same i drive as yours! I think you're getting hosed, try calling BMW genius.
Edit: does your screen show 4G? If so then your car should be upgradable.
The screen does show 3G currently, that Im positive of. Still working too. Im not sure I got the absolute best rep in the world but he gave me what I wanted which was confirmation of the actual unit in my car... the lowest model NBT Evo... specifically referencing 4.2 a couple times.

If Im being completely honest, aftermarket doesnt scare me that much (unless major hardware required)... because what does scare me is having my DME locked when they realize the car has been tuned and to a lesser extent erasing any coding done. Assuming the coding can be replaced.

It really is strange how some basic NBT units can/will be upgraded by BMW whiles others not. Maybe they are cutting me and others off for low optioned, basic models vs those who paid more originally? I have no idea at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #285
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I just want to address some misinformation in this thread in the hopes that others don't use it with their dealership or BMWNA and end up putting their foot in their mouth like me.

NBTEvo is not the ONLY hardware requirement to be eligible for the telematics hardware retrofit BMW is offering. To be eligible, your car needs to be equipped with NBTEvo and a 4G ATM (telematics unit). There is a small population of vehicles equipped with NBTEvo and 3G ATMs (ask me how I know!). BMW is not offering an upgrade path for 3G equipped cars and is deactivating all 3G ATMs next month and removing/blacklisting all associated VINs in their Connected Drive database.

For the ATM, simply go look if the model # on your ATM (mine was in my trunk). If it references 4G you are eligible, if it references 3G you are SOL.

Professional Nav vs. EntryNav vs. the base HU might also be a requirement but I did not have that issue.

One tried and true DIY retrofit path exists to keep all services, which I have PMed you about
Appreciate 2
sspade2464.50
      01-15-2022, 11:29 PM   #286
Fizzius
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 X3m40i, 16 340xi (retired)

So how do you find out where your ATM telematics unit is? I have a 2016 340i msport that has a build date if 2015/8.
Appreciate 0