F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Passing inspection with Catless downpipe
proTUNING Freaks

03-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #1
JustcallmeToby
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I Xdrive

Passing inspection with Catless downpipe

Does anybody know how to pass inspection with catless downpipe ? im on mhd stage 2 with aftermarket downpipe selected but people on the forums said MHD would make the computer have 3 not ready instead of the 1 that NYS allows. is this true ? and is there no way to pass inspection? you can dm me if you dont wanna message on here. my shit up in april so i need it
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:31 PM   #2
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
There are a few things you can try, but chances are, you won't pass. Your best shot is getting a downstream o2 sensor spacer (ideally one with a mini cat converter built in), setting MHD back to your stock tune, and go through the required drive cycles to see if your car will shows all monitors as ready (or the 1 not ready that NYS allows).

Whatever way you are connecting to your car to tune it, you can connect to other obd2 car scan apps that you can put your state into and it will essentially check the cars readiness against what the state requirements are and will let you know if you'll pass or not, and if not, what sensors arent ready etc. I've used this function through OBDlink before although with their app, you need their proprietary obd dongle.

Your other option is the swap back to your stock downpipe (assuming you still have it), going back to your stock tune, resetting all the monitors through the required drive cycles, passing your inspection, and then reverting back.
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:01 PM   #3
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Check this out…

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30627044
      03-05-2024, 07:25 PM   #4
PaulyG1983
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xdrive

I have the MHD flex fuel kit and I am running stage 2+ with a catless downpipe with an o2 spacer . You flash the car to the stock map with MHD still installed . Drive it lightly for at least 20 miles to complete the monitors . You are allowed 1 incomplete monitor for inspection . You can see the monitors status on the MHD app when checking for DME codes . You scroll down after the code scanning is complete and you can see all of the complete and incomplete monitors . As long as you don’t have a check engine light and have only 1 incomplete monitor you will pass New York inspection on the newest dmv inspection machine . If you get an o2 spacer be sure to get the one that’s called o2 spacer with mini cat . They range from $10-$20 and you can find them online . I ordered one from Walmart online for around $15 . Also if you are running flex fuel be sure to run the tank down to almost empty and fill it with 91-93 octane before flashing the stock map . If you have the MHD flex fuel kit installed you do not have to do anything just leave it fully installed .
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:07 AM   #5
JustcallmeToby
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyG1983 View Post
I have the MHD flex fuel kit and I am running stage 2+ with a catless downpipe with an o2 spacer . You flash the car to the stock map with MHD still installed . Drive it lightly for at least 20 miles to complete the monitors . You are allowed 1 incomplete monitor for inspection . You can see the monitors status on the MHD app when checking for DME codes . You scroll down after the code scanning is complete and you can see all of the complete and incomplete monitors . As long as you don’t have a check engine light and have only 1 incomplete monitor you will pass New York inspection on the newest dmv inspection machine . If you get an o2 spacer be sure to get the one that’s called o2 spacer with mini cat . They range from $10-$20 and you can find them online . I ordered one from Walmart online for around $15 . Also if you are running flex fuel be sure to run the tank down to almost empty and fill it with 91-93 octane before flashing the stock map . If you have the MHD flex fuel kit installed you do not have to do anything just leave it fully installed .
now does the spacer go on the top hole closest to turbo or the bottom one closest to where it hooks up to vband ? i think its considered upstream or downstream part of the downpipe
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:32 AM   #6
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Top hole.
      03-07-2024, 06:55 PM   #7
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

I'm a NY state inspector. I will tell you how difficult it is to get a tuned BMW to pass when you have 24/7 access to an inspection machine.

I return to stock EVERY year.

That's how hard it is to get it to pass.

02 spaces go in the DOWNSTREAM hole.
Appreciate 2
      03-08-2024, 09:52 AM   #8
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
I'm a NY state inspector. I will tell you how difficult it is to get a tuned BMW to pass when you have 24/7 access to an inspection machine.

I return to stock EVERY year.

That's how hard it is to get it to pass.

02 spaces go in the DOWNSTREAM hole.
Yes my mistake, DOWNSTREAM is correct. I flash back to stock map every year but locking DME is not necessary.
      03-09-2024, 04:25 PM   #9
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

Im actually curious to see if people with tunes will have any issues with passing inspection this year with the new machines that has the new stickers. Apparently people were saying on another thread that we were due for cali's inspection machine that will fail even if u flash back to stock. The only way to pass would be to flash back to stock and lock the dme. In the past when I had my fbo f30 335i on custom tune. I was able to pass inspection (in NYC) with catless dp still on without flashing back to stock and this was in mid 2023.