F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Just bought my first F30 (N55) *HELP*
proTUNING Freaks

03-27-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
F30chrisss
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Exclamation Just bought my first F30 (N55) *HELP*

Hey everybody, I just picked up a 2013 335i rwd w the 8 spd.

I purchased the car from another state and had to drive 1300 miles. The car seemed fine picking it up from the dealership and drove approximately 350 miles before i started experiencing issues. First the car notified me that the oil level was a quart low.. i stopped by the nearest auto parts store and purchased 2 qts of Mobil 1 euro blend, filled it and was on my way and the car was fine for about for about 400 miles when it notified me it needed another qt. The car went through 3 qts of oil for maybe a total of 800-900 miles? I looked under the car to find decent puddles of oil. I looked around the VC and saw no sign of leaks, checked OFH and the cooler lines and it was all completely dry up top but upon a closer inspection it looks like the oil is dripping onto the turbo outlet and all the way down onto the passenger side steering rack and onto the plastic belly. The weirdest thing, after finally getting back into my home town, and mind you like every 60 miles i was pullling over and checking the oil level but as soon as i am home and driving around town the oil leak looks to have decreased and the oil level has been consistently full and i haven’t need to add oil but right before i got into town it was telling me i was 1/4 of a qt low but said oh well and kept driving but then like 40-50 miles later its fine and level is full? Very confusing and barely 24 hrs into ownership w no history on it or nothing. Also after the first 2 qts of 0-40 i bought 5-40 if its worth mentioning? I do plan on doing an oil change this week when i find the leak.

How I do i find this oil leak? I can provide you with pics and specific details.
The car also makes a weird noise with like the slightest bit of throttle almost like a bolt is flying around in the VC. I know the injectors are noisy but no CEL and they all felt to be evenly pulsing?

The car definitely also seems tuned as well how do i find out what flash it is? I didn’t see any sign of a JB4.

and upon further inspection the car has a VRSF intercooler and Dogless Downpipes (Unable to distinguish the brand until i get it on a lift)

I was under the impression when i was buying the car from this dealership that it only had the CTS intake and Exhaust only but looks like its FBO?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by F30chrisss; 03-27-2022 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Added
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #2
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
You have an oil leak and a strange noise. I know you don't want to hear this or drive 1300 miles back, but take it back to where you bought it. This is not a good start to ownership. If after you buy a car it immediately starts showing issues, it's not the only thing going on and it probably wasn't maintained properly.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 07:19 AM   #3
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30chrisss View Post

I purchased the car from another state and had to drive 1300 miles. The car seemed fine picking it up from the dealership and drove approximately 350 miles before i started experiencing issues. First the car notified me that the oil level was a quart low.. i stopped by the nearest auto parts store and purchased 2 qts of Mobil 1 euro blend, filled it and was on my way and the car was fine for about for about 400 miles when it notified me it needed another qt. The car went through 3 qts of oil for maybe a total of 800-900 miles? I looked under the car to find decent puddles of oil. I looked around the VC and saw no sign of leaks, checked OFH and the cooler lines and it was all completely dry up top but upon a closer inspection it looks like the oil is dripping onto the turbo outlet and all the way down onto the passenger side steering rack and onto the plastic belly. The weirdest thing, after finally getting back into my home town, and mind you like every 60 miles i was pullling over and checking the oil level but as soon as i am home and driving around town the oil leak looks to have decreased and the oil level has been consistently full and i haven’t need to add oil but right before i got into town it was telling me i was 1/4 of a qt low but said oh well and kept driving but then like 40-50 miles later its fine and level is full? Very confusing and barely 24 hrs into ownership w no history on it or nothing. Also after the first 2 qts of 0-40 i bought 5-40 if its worth mentioning? I do plan on doing an oil change this week when i find the leak.

How I do i find this oil leak? I can provide you with pics and specific details.
The car also makes a weird noise with like the slightest bit of throttle almost like a bolt is flying around in the VC. I know the injectors are noisy but no CEL and they all felt to be evenly pulsing?

The car definitely also seems tuned as well how do i find out what flash it is? I didn’t see any sign of a JB4.

and upon further inspection the car has a VRSF intercooler and Dogless Downpipes (Unable to distinguish the brand until i get it on a lift)

I was under the impression when i was buying the car from this dealership that it only had the CTS intake and Exhaust only but looks like its FBO?

Thanks in advance.
If its BMW certified pre-own, can't you haul it into the nearest dealership for service?
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 07:45 AM   #4
Nate R
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014,MPE,F30,335i,N55,RWD,EWG

Garage List
- Question 1:
"Where is your oil leaks possibly coming from."

- Answer:
"If the Valve cover, VAC Vacuum Line isn't cracked, along with the OFH are not the source, which most likely are to be honest. The only other possible way oil is dripping on to turbo could only mean it is the oil feed line to turbo. Located beneath your manifold above the water pump, is a steel braided line that connects from your block to the top of your turbo. And it would have to be allot of oil to even notice and it would smoke when at operating temperature. Unless it's your oil pan or the 14MM oil pan nut with a bad washer. All that said, I suggest you remove all of the damping foam and engine beauty cover and check the back of you VC closest to the fire block."

"Do a proper oil change and stop changing weights."

- Buy the following:
Liqui Moly 5w - 40 SAE.
Liqui Moly Engine Flush
Liqui Moly Quiet Engine
Mann Oil Filter HU-816x
"All that engine noise you hear, will go away."

- Note:
"You have to understand that N55's are known but not at fault with the top deck design to pass oil through your hot side charge pipe in to your cold side and thus oil catch cans. Still the N55 is not need of a catch can to be honest this is just normal Bmw engineering.

- Question 2:
"The car definitely also seems tuned as well how do i find out what flash it is? I didn't see any sign of a JB4."

- Answer:
First of all, you have a piggyback hardware tune like JB4 or you have a DME flash software tune. So that immediately cancels out JB4 which you don't have. You most likely have MHD flash tune. And if you said the car is FBO, did you check down pipe? If so and it's aftermarket then the car definitely has a Flash Tune.

Hope that helps
      03-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
- Question 1:

- Answer:
"If the Valve cover, VAC Vacuum Line isn't cracked, along with the OFH are not the source, which most likely are to be honest. The only other possible way oil is dripping on to turbo could only mean it is the oil feed line to turbo. Located beneath your manifold above the water pump, is a steel braided line that connects from your block to the top of your turbo. And it would have to be allot of oil to even notice and it would smoke when at operating temperature. Unless it's your oil pan or the 14MM oil pan nut with a bad washer. All that said, I suggest you remove all of the damping foam and engine beauty cover and check the back of you VC closest to the fire block."

- Buy the following:
Liqui Moly 5w - 40 SAE.
Liqui Moly Engine Flush
Liqui Moly Quiet Engine
Mann Oil Filter HU-816x

- Note:
"You have to understand that N55's are known but not at fault with the top deck design to pass oil through your hot side charge pipe in to your cold side and thus oil catch cans. Still the N55 is not need of a catch can to be honest this is just normal Bmw engineering.

- Question 2:
"The car definitely also seems tuned as well how do i find out what flash it is? I didn't see any sign of a JB4."

- Answer:
First of all, you have a piggyback hardware tune like JB4 or you have a DME flash software tune. So that immediately cancels out JB4 which you don't have. You most likely have MHD flash tune. And if you said the car is FBO, did you check down pipe? If so and it's aftermarket then the car definitely has a Flash Tune.

Hope that helps
It could just as likely be bootmod3.. not to mention any of the other many flash possibilities.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #6
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Frequent oil leaks:

* Oil filter housing
* Oil pan
* Valve cover

Less frequent, but also possible:

* Front main seal
* Rear main seal
* Oil drain plug bolt in the oil pan not fully seated

Additionally, follow all oil lines to their ends and check for leaks at connections.

Last edited by terryd5150; 03-30-2022 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico- View Post
You have an oil leak and a strange noise. I know you don't want to hear this or drive 1300 miles back, but take it back to where you bought it. This is not a good start to ownership. If after you buy a car it immediately starts showing issues, it's not the only thing going on and it probably wasn't maintained properly.
+1, return the car or be prepared to find more and more things wrong with it. Hopefully the sale price justified that if you can't return it.

Oh and there's no way it was CPO, the car is too old.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 02:57 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30chrisss View Post

I purchased the car from another state and had to drive 1300 miles. The car seemed fine picking it up from the dealership and drove approximately 350 miles before i started experiencing issues. First the car notified me that the oil level was a quart low.. i stopped by the nearest auto parts store and purchased 2 qts of Mobil 1 euro blend, filled it and was on my way and the car was fine for about for about 400 miles when it notified me it needed another qt. The car went through 3 qts of oil for maybe a total of 800-900 miles? I looked under the car to find decent puddles of oil. I looked around the VC and saw no sign of leaks, checked OFH and the cooler lines and it was all completely dry up top but upon a closer inspection it looks like the oil is dripping onto the turbo outlet and all the way down onto the passenger side steering rack and onto the plastic belly. The weirdest thing, after finally getting back into my home town, and mind you like every 60 miles i was pullling over and checking the oil level but as soon as i am home and driving around town the oil leak looks to have decreased and the oil level has been consistently full and i haven't need to add oil but right before i got into town it was telling me i was 1/4 of a qt low but said oh well and kept driving but then like 40-50 miles later its fine and level is full? Very confusing and barely 24 hrs into ownership w no history on it or nothing. Also after the first 2 qts of 0-40 i bought 5-40 if its worth mentioning? I do plan on doing an oil change this week when i find the leak.

The car definitely also seems tuned as well how do i find out what flash it is? I didn't see any sign of a JB4.

Thanks in advance.
If you are getting oil dripping onto your hot downpipe that usually means a valve cover gasket leak which usually begins leaking in the back where it's difficult to spot without a flashlight. Always replace the valve cover and the gasket. Those valve covers are high tech and get gummed up inside so if you don't replace it could leak again soon.

Also those oil warnings aren't always accurate. Could be a bad sensor. Even though I replay the sensor next to the oilpan, I still get occasional oil level warnings. Then when I check oil level it's always full.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
F30chrisss
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
- Question 1:

- Answer:

- Buy the following:
Liqui Moly 5w - 40 SAE.
Liqui Moly Engine Flush
Liqui Moly Quiet Engine
Mann Oil Filter HU-816x

- Note:

- Question 2:

- Answer:

Hope that helps
Thank you for your reply, its definitely very helpful. I am going to order everything off FCP and will do the oil change this weekend or when everything gets here, I also plan on trying to degrease the motor and start over so i can have a better understanding of the source of the leak. I will keep you posted with the results this yields, again thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 05:21 PM   #10
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

It's illegal to sell a vehicle with the emissions equipment altered or removed. I would try to get them to unwind the car deal. 3qts in 800 miles is something seriously wrong.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
It's illegal to sell a vehicle with the emissions equipment altered or removed. I would try to get them to unwind the car deal. 3qts in 800 miles is something seriously wrong.
This is a good point, and good leverage for OP
Appreciate 2