F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Chassis Stabilization Malfunction
Studio RSR

01-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Chassis Stabilization Malfunction

This is caused by numerous different root causes as I have found over the years modding my '13 BMW 335i xDrive. This time I had my car on the lift to fix an issue with my heat shield over the exhaust and thought since I had it in the air I would change my right wishbone since I knew the bushing was getting bad. After changing it I lowered the car and took it out for a short drive to check it out and right after turning a corner I got the Chassis Stabilization Malfunction warning. I know I get this after disconnecting the battery, although I hadn't disconnected it this time, so I stopped and turned the car off to reset which works to clear it after disconnecting the battery but it came back and the steering felt really weird and sloppy. I put it back on the lift and checked everything and the only thing I found was that the right ball joint on the tie rod end was much looser than the left side so I ordered a new ball joint end. I'll report back after changing it out this weekend.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
It's super easy to screw up your steering (requiring a new alignment) when changing one of the LCA/wishbones. Whenever I remove one of those I secure the steering wheel in place to prevent it from moving.

In the meantime you can try recalibrating the steering by moving the wheel from lock to lock 3-4 times each side.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

You are 100% right on that one as I discovered yesterday. I can see the wheels are out of alignment, I can't believe I missed that after installing the wishbone. I didn't think it could screw up the steering like that so I definitely learned something. Thank you for the info, that helps me immensely!!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 05:52 PM   #4
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
It's super easy to screw up your steering (requiring a new alignment) when changing one of the LCA/wishbones. Whenever I remove one of those I secure the steering wheel in place to prevent it from moving.

In the meantime you can try recalibrating the steering by moving the wheel from lock to lock 3-4 times each side.
hi Farkle, i'm sure i saw in one of your vids how to secure the steering wheel with a ratchet strap tied around the seat, but now i cannot find it at all, not sure if i imagined it now!
can you recall?

i'm trying to figure out how to do just that, not sure how exactly to tie it around the steering wheel spokes.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
hi Farkle, i'm sure i saw in one of your vids how to secure the steering wheel with a ratchet strap tied around the seat, but now i cannot find it at all, not sure if i imagined it now!
can you recall?

i'm trying to figure out how to do just that, not sure how exactly to tie it around the steering wheel spokes.
Start at 11:47.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
gippy230.00