F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #485
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post
Musashi, go back to making quality protein supplements.
You are partially correct, if you see my last post, I completed another brake compound test on 370x30mm strand Woven CCBs. Needed some heat cycles. But not before squeezing a 47 km cycling ride in 80 min, and 1.5 scoops of Bio Steel protein after. Am not in shape after my mission abroad. Either case, I was baking, but see pics, something far far cooler...

Last edited by Musashi; 09-15-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #486
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
Awesome you had a laugh. But I am not laughing. Because a dozen of forum friends have been PM pesting me to get them in on it, not to mention my city's BMW Club pals whom drool each time seeing my car. For reasons that you can understand, I avoided helping them order the kits because I did not want to be the cause for some mishap in case of discovering a fundamental material flaw that I would have missed.

if you think it is easy, it is not. Figuring out a hot 40C day to simulate Arizona driving, is not easy, nor it is as easy for a 4piston Brembo kit to go well above a Gt steel feel and to dissipate the 3700lbs F30 Gx heavy braking (E=mc2 after all) on a 4 piston, 37x30mm set. So smaller calipers, 30mm smaller diameter rotors, getting the science right took.. 14 months now? minus my time away and data in the hands of the manufacturer...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #487
itsglen
Private First Class
110
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aspen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Awesome you had a laugh. But I am not laughing. Because a dozen of forum friends have been PM pesting me to get them in on it, not to mention my city's BMW Club pals whom drool each time seeing my car. For reasons that you can understand, I avoided helping them order the kits because I did not want to be the cause for some mishap in case of discovering a fundamental material flaw that I would have missed.

if you think it is easy, it is not. Figuring out a hot 40C day to simulate Arizona driving, is not easy, nor it is as easy for a 4piston Brembo kit to go well above a Gt steel feel and to dissipate the 3700lbs F30 Gx heavy braking (E=mc2 after all) on a 4 piston, 37x30mm set. So smaller calipers, 30mm smaller diameter rotors, getting the science right took.. 14 months now? minus my time away and data in the hands of the manufacturer...
gibberish / and you need to bring up others to support your postition / "others drool" and you care?

If im wrong give up your IG (or other) of your car and let us see - otherwise shut up

blah blah blah you know you are a key board thug and not a driver / "others drool" and you care?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #488
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post

Yep, your narcissism is evident. You lack the ability to sustain a mature conversation, and divert to childish replies...
Appreciate 1
Mehim15.00

      09-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #489
itsglen
Private First Class
110
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aspen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Yep, your narcissism is evident. You lack the ability to sustain a mature conversation, and divert to childish replies...
sweet give up your IG or FB details on your car so we can take a look - don't hide / no hiding Musashi8

let me ad: Musashi
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #490
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
sweet give up your IG or FB details on your car so we can take a look - don't hide
Let us speak plain English. What is IG or FB? Some slang for Instagram or Facebook? You seem to mistake privacy with hiding. Like do you think I go on main boulevards revving my engine and spluttering exhaust burbles? lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 07:48 PM   #491
itsglen
Private First Class
110
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aspen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Let us speak plain English. What is IG or FB? Some slang for Instagram or Facebook? You seem to mistake privacy with hiding. Like do you think I go on main boulevards revving my engine and spluttering exhaust burbles? lol.
yeah so good try - but you make no sense


and then because your own position is not good enough you have to bring up strangers - you say:

"Because a dozen of forum friends have been PM pesting me to get them in on it"



And at the end of the day if anyone gives a crap what you are saying....take a moment by yourself and ask yourself why you keep posting - no one gives a shit - so sit quietly and accept the fact that you are worthless

*edit*
I'm done here young lady - say what you want - I don't care which is why I'm out / if you're confident you won;t respond to this stranger - if you are fragile you'll have to

it's typically the end - when you have to show "others" are in agreement with you - stand on your own young lady

Last edited by itsglen; 09-15-2019 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #492
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant
222
Rep
588
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Actually, you have ZERO credibility, due to the demonstrated inability to build a coherent argument. Personalized attacks make you look pathetic, and fail your whatever point you thought you had. All those science and engineering years come in handy thought, telling you, lol, can you even READ an engine spec? Like do you grasp the difference between forged and cast pistons and crankshaft? Can you even speculate on the structural integrity difference alone? No, I thought not. Better yet, have you FIGURED OUT why Munich DITCHED the cast B58 pistons and crankshaft for forged? This is normally reserved for racing application where premature failure is anticipated.

if anything, you come across as pathetically insecure about things you do not understand, and seek to self lick your bias ice cone lol..
You are all hot air. So wheres your logs and data? You wrote over a thousand words and none substantiates anything you've said about the B58.
Appreciate 2
yeg440i231.50
kern4172020.00

      09-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #493
itsglen
Private First Class
110
Rep
139
Posts

Drives: Many BMWs
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Aspen

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
You are all hot air. So wheres your logs and data? You wrote over a thousand words and none substantiates anything you've said about the B58.
this
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:31 AM   #494
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
2020
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Hey Troll, and troll is a good definition- you sound like someone lacking basic critical thinking, not to mention CLASS. unlike you, I have a life, a busy one, one that does not get bimmerpost notifications on my inbox. As for your May question, unsure what it was, or if it was worth a time to reply.

but if you think my piling up a Turabian referenced, peer to peer reviewed set of articles to answer you, you are out to lunch.

There have been ample reports on B58 engine replacement, VIN recalls, dully listed on several sources. DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK.

two, you sound very limited in critical thinking- actually nil- when isted of answering an argument with COUNTER ARGUMENT, you divert to personalized attacks. Also known as ad hominems (and go research what ad hominem means). Not to mention, lack of class. You thus lack the mental, intellectual abilities to sustain an argument, or lack the class and skillset to pursue one.

And, evidently, lack the technical understanding of engine program development, as you still failed to understand what TU1 means to the B58. It is not my role to go into mechanical engineering 300 to explain to you the reasoning behind engine structural changes.

Go troll someone else.
All that time typing nonsense and you still can't back up your claims

guess what genius. every time a new engine comes out that's an improvement on the previous gen, it doesn't mean the previous gen was a flop or ticking time bomb. there will be a b58tu2, a b59, and on and on and on. sounds like you're the only one in the thread that's lacking.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 1
G.Newt166.50

      09-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #495
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
2020
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
When you read any of the above, let us see, be jealous of .... what? On a hot day on the savanna, the lion sits with its pride, does its things and the hyenas bark far away. The lion could not care less...
ahh yes, of course you're also the one that was trying to sell the forum on CCBs. learn to drive and maybe you won't be overwhelming your steel brakes on the street.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #496
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
gibberish / and you need to bring up others to support your postition / "others drool" and you care?

If im wrong give up your IG (or other) of your car and let us see - otherwise shut up

blah blah blah you know you are a key board thug and not a driver / "others drool" and you care?
Bohohoo, cry me a river that French, German or Italian posts document the same issues, engine recalls, engine failures, above and beyond the tiny English speaking Bimmerpost world. When was the last time you were in Europe (me, last week). these cars are everywhere. Either case, cry me a river that BMW killed the B58 in favor of an improved engine casing, optimized pistons (forged as well) and crankshaft, and dozens of other changes listed in TU1. If any issues with BMW closing B58 production after the shortest inline 6 run in modern history, take it with BMW.

https://www.forumbmw.net/topic-255-l...r-bmw-b58.html
http://www.bmw-one.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39817

In the end, TU1 looks excellent (bringing it close to the S class for obvious lessons learned reasons) and so on..

The forums are very useful. Years ago, when an HVAC rattled at acceleration, it was a forum post with a Bulletin Code that enabled the workorder, the local Service Center being clueless.

"Another advantage of the always high cylinder wall temperatures is that the engine generates less soot particles in the event of a sudden load jump. On the other hand, the tendency to knock does not increase because the split-cooling approach simultaneously ensures a well-cooled combustion chamber roof.

The profound changes in chain drive and cooling have also necessitated a redesign of the crankcase. Here, the wall thickness was optimized and the engineers implemented some other lightweight construction measures, for a total of weight savings of just over 2 kilograms. The forged crankshaft was once again optimized, resulting in an additional weight saving of around 2 kilograms.

Of course, the BMW B58 TÜ1 outperforms its predecessor in terms of performance. Initially, two power levels are planned, called ML (middle power level) and OL (upper power level). In the ML comes the B58 TÜ1 with 250 kW (340 hp) and 450 to 500 Newton meters of torque, the OL has 275 to 285 kW (374 to 388 hp) and 500 Newton meters of torque. Of course, the new M-engine S58 will adopt some ideas of the B58 TÜ1 development in an adapted form.

In the middle performance level, a new cylinder head with integrated manifold is used. This sophisticated solution brings various advantages in terms of thermal management and, among other things, allows a more efficient distribution of heat to relevant points. The exhaust gas turbocharger of the middle power level has been adapted to the new position of the manifold, which in addition to the cost benefits also brings a weight saving of 2 kilograms. The upper power level uses a turbocharger with integrated manifold, which has also been further refined.

Overall, it can be said that the BMW B58 TÜ1 clearly outperforms its predecessor in all important engineering aspects. At the same time, the engineers are also promising lower emissions, improved acoustics, further reduced weight and increased power and torque capacity.

No surprise is that the new straight-six gasoline engine is also prepared for future electrification measures and can be easily adapted for the use of appropriate components." SOURCE: BOERIU 2018, https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/

Last edited by Musashi; 09-17-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #497
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
All that time typing nonsense and you still can't back up your claims

guess what genius. every time a new engine comes out that's an improvement on the previous gen, it doesn't mean the previous gen was a flop or ticking time bomb. there will be a b58tu2, a b59, and on and on and on. sounds like you're the only one in the thread that's lacking.
Hey troll, you are WELCOME to try, but hyenas bark more than anything. You cannot handle knowledge even if thrown at you. I bet you know NOTHING about engines. Bohohoo, cry me a river that French, German or Italian posts document the same issues, engine recalls, engine failures, above and beyond the tiny English speaking Bimmerpost world. When was the last time you were in Europe (me, last week). these cars are everywhere. Either case, cry me a river that BMW killed the B58 in favor of an improved engine casing, forged pistons and crankshaft, and dozens of other changes listed in TU1. If any issues with BMW closing B58 production after the shortest inline 6 run in modern history, take it with BMW.

https://www.forumbmw.net/topic-255-l...r-bmw-b58.html
http://www.bmw-one.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39817

In the end, TU1 looks excellent (bringing it close to the S class for obvious lessons learned reasons) and so on..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #498
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
You are all hot air. So wheres your logs and data? You wrote over a thousand words and none substantiates anything you've said about the B58.
Can you read? Do you expect others to read and spoon feed you data? Your tricks to drag me down to a sublevel well,, they all failed. You have not read German, Italian, French posts issues that resulted in TU1. And hey, here is FACT: BMW SELLS MORE of these cars in the EU than in USA and Canada combined!!!

The point is, even if you read the TU1 mod info, you will never grasp the program management (B58 that it) driving so many substantial changes. But if you think BMW made SO MANY changes to B58 because it felt like it, you are smoking something. In fact, these are the most substantial 6 cylinder changes BMW ever made as a TU, and after a short run period. Period. (do you need fact check that)..:


"Another advantage of the always high cylinder wall temperatures is that the engine generates less soot particles in the event of a sudden load jump. On the other hand, the tendency to knock does not increase because the split-cooling approach simultaneously ensures a well-cooled combustion chamber roof.

The profound changes in chain drive and cooling have also necessitated a redesign of the crankcase. Here, the wall thickness was optimized and the engineers implemented some other lightweight construction measures, for a total of weight savings of just over 2 kilograms. The forged crankshaft was once again optimized, resulting in an additional weight saving of around 2 kilograms.

Of course, the BMW B58 TÜ1 outperforms its predecessor in terms of performance. Initially, two power levels are planned, called ML (middle power level) and OL (upper power level). In the ML comes the B58 TÜ1 with 250 kW (340 hp) and 450 to 500 Newton meters of torque, the OL has 275 to 285 kW (374 to 388 hp) and 500 Newton meters of torque. Of course, the new M-engine S58 will adopt some ideas of the B58 TÜ1 development in an adapted form.

In the middle performance level, a new cylinder head with integrated manifold is used. This sophisticated solution brings various advantages in terms of thermal management and, among other things, allows a more efficient distribution of heat to relevant points. The exhaust gas turbocharger of the middle power level has been adapted to the new position of the manifold, which in addition to the cost benefits also brings a weight saving of 2 kilograms. The upper power level uses a turbocharger with integrated manifold, which has also been further refined.

Overall, it can be said that the BMW B58 TÜ1 clearly outperforms its predecessor in all important engineering aspects. At the same time, the engineers are also promising lower emissions, improved acoustics, further reduced weight and increased power and torque capacity.

No surprise is that the new straight-six gasoline engine is also prepared for future electrification measures and can be easily adapted for the use of appropriate components." SOURCE: BOERIU 2018, https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/


Yep, after 2 years of data Munich scrambled to implement TU1, end of year 3 it is ready, Year 4, TU1. You need DATA ? lol Take it with BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #499
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
yeah so good try - but you make no sense


and then because your own position is not good enough you have to bring up strangers - you say:

"Because a dozen of forum friends have been PM pesting me to get them in on it"



And at the end of the day if anyone gives a crap what you are saying....take a moment by yourself and ask yourself why you keep posting - no one gives a shit - so sit quietly and accept the fact that you are worthless

*edit*
I'm done here young lady - say what you want - I don't care which is why I'm out / if you're confident you won;t respond to this stranger - if you are fragile you'll have to

it's typically the end - when you have to show "others" are in agreement with you - stand on your own young lady
Hey narcissistic troll (easy to spot in you), do you lack the cognitive abilities to understand that not everyone needs Instagram or Facebook? Go on and feed mental dopamine based on social media? lol The fact that it never occurred to you is quite revealing....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #500
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant
222
Rep
588
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

Nothing you posted above is new to us and we knew of the changes in TU1. The TU1 is still the B58 with some improvements some for EURO regulation. What catastrophic fixes are you referring to? One more time: TROLL. Does anyone know why this guy is doing this non-sense?
Appreciate 1
kern4172020.00

      09-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #501
Beek
Major
Beek's Avatar
United_States
680
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: Most folks crazy.
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: The Twin Cities

iTrader: (0)

WARNING! This thread is generating dangerously high EMF levels. Time to microwave my Gauss meter.
__________________
'16 340xi Mineral Grey/Black Leather, MPSS on 18" 398 Orbit Grey wheels, ZF 8HP50, MPPSK+CF Tips, ZTR, ZMP, ZTP, ZCW, ZDA, ZDB, Black Kidney Grilles.
'09 Outback for a beater and grocery getter.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #502
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
2020
Rep
3,146
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Hey troll, you are WELCOME to try, but hyenas bark more than anything. You cannot handle knowledge even if thrown at you. I bet you know NOTHING about engines. Bohohoo, cry me a river that French, German or Italian posts document the same issues, engine recalls, engine failures, above and beyond the tiny English speaking Bimmerpost world. When was the last time you were in Europe (me, last week). these cars are everywhere. Either case, cry me a river that BMW killed the B58 in favor of an improved engine casing, forged pistons and crankshaft, and dozens of other changes listed in TU1. If any issues with BMW closing B58 production after the shortest inline 6 run in modern history, take it with BMW.
I can't handle information being thrown at me, but I'm not the one assuming that an engine is a failure because an OEM updated it after several years of field testing and development.

Also I've worked in automotive engineering for years, globally. The same thing happens with all automakers. So unless every pre-2020 engine design is a failure, I'd say that you're still blowing smoke. Not to mention in 2 years, the B58TU1 will have a host of revised components. They'll still continue to update it's design until it goes out of service. That's how engineering works.

Just stop posting bs so we can get the thread back on track with useful, data-driven info and user feedback.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU222.00

      09-17-2019, 02:47 PM   #503
msk340i
Lieutenant
345
Rep
462
Posts

Drives: 340i M sport
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Nothing you posted above is new to us and we knew of the changes in TU1. The TU1 is still the B58 with some improvements some for EURO regulation. What catastrophic fixes are you referring to? One more time: TROLL. Does anyone know why this guy is doing this non-sense?
A few years back a rogue B58 jumped him... The rest is history.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #504
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Nothing you posted above is new to us and we knew of the changes in TU1. The TU1 is still the B58 with some improvements some for EURO regulation. What catastrophic fixes are you referring to? One more time: TROLL. Does anyone know why this guy is doing this non-sense?

"TU1 is still the B58" GOOD LUCK telling yourself that, no one with an engineering degree, not the least the FIA, would look at the list of changes and call it THE SAME ENGINE. Cry me a river because BMW has improved the inherent B58 weaknesses. What, you think they did all that for free, bona fide? And another thing, I suspect you have no technical, engineering background, or you would not advance preposterous premises.

"What catastrophic fixes are you referring to?" ALL THOSE THAT RESULTED IN HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of VIN recalls or warranty replacement, in the EU, North America, Asia, related to piston failure or thermodynamic issues (jargon- overheating). Now, if you want to dive in, go look for user testimonials, befriend Sr mechanics at a BMW service centre, they will let you know. OR READ THE BLOODY PUMA NOTICES FOR B58..

Either case, TU1 redesigned thermodynamic and structural failure points- SOMETHING N55 never had to do. Oh wait, do you think the S55 WAS THE SAME as the N55 even though based on similar architecture? keep thinking that

Here is ONE, a crankshaft bearing issues int he first months of production and PUMA description: "The upper crankshaft guide bearing may wear out prematurely. The wear on the upper guide bearing can cause the clutch pedal to malfunction during shifting. The Engine Malfunction warning may be illuminated and a fault will be stored in the DME memory for the crankshaft sensor. Noise may be heard from the lower engine and transmission bell housing area. If the crankshaft guide bearing or crankshaft is found damaged during the inspection then the engine must be replaced. Engine damage is a rare occurrence."

WBA8B7G57GNT70413
WBA8B7G58GNT70405
WBA8B7G51GNT70410
WBA8B7G56GNT70404
WBA8B7G55GNT70409
WBA8B7G54GNT70403
WBA8B7G5XGNT70406
WBA8B7G52GNT70416
WBA8B7G51GNT70407
WBA8B3G59GNA92609
WBA8B7G53GNT70411
WBA8B7G58GNT70419
WBA8B7G50GNT70401
WBA8B7G56GNT70421
WBA8B7G59GNT70414
WBA8B7G59GNT70400
WBA8B7G50GNT70415
WBA8B7G56GNT70418
WBA8B7G52GNT70402
WBA8B3G53GNA92606
WBA8B7G55GNT70412
WBA8B7G53GNT70408
WBA8B7G5XGNT70423
WBA8B7G5XGNT70440
WBA8B7G53GNT70439
WBA8B7G53GNT70425
WBA8B7G59GNT70431
WBA8B7G57GNT70430
WBA8B7G54GNT70434
WBA8B7G52GNT70433
WBA8B3G50GNA92613
WBA8B7G58GNT70436
WBA8B7G56GNT70435
WBA8B7G55GNT70426
WBA8B7G51GNT70441
WBA8B7G51GNT70424
WBA8B7G58GNT70422
WBA8B7G50GNT70432
WBA8B7G5XGNT70437
WBA8B7G55GNT70457
WBA8B7G51GNT70455
WBA8B7G53GNT70456
WBA8B7G5XGNT70454
WBA8B7G57GNT70458
WBA8B7G56GNT70466

Last edited by Musashi; 09-22-2019 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #505
Musashi
Colonel
64
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
A few years back a rogue B58 jumped him... The rest is history.
Not quite. I skipped the B58 after getting inside PUMA scoops from BMW centres. I did not want the complications. But Mar 2020, am ordering a TU1 updated vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #506
NormanConquest
Colonel
1461
Rep
2,242
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
"TU1 is still the B58" GOOD LUCK telling yourself that, no one with an engineering degree, not the least the FIA, would look at the list of changes and call it THE SAME ENGINE. Cry me a river because BMW has improved the inherent B58 weaknesses. What, you think they did all that for free, bona fide? And another thing, I suspect you have no technical, engineering background, or you would not advance preposterous premises.

"What catastrophic fixes are you referring to?" ALL THOSE THAT RESULTED IN HUNDREDS UPON HUNDREDS of VIN recalls or warranty replacement, in the EU, North America, Asia, related to piston failure or thermodynamic issues (jargon- overheating). Now, if you want to dive in, go look for user testimonials, befriend Sr mechanics at a BMW service centre, they will let you know. OR READ THE BLOODY PUMA NOTICES FOR B58..

Either case, TU1 redesigned thermodynamic and structural failure points- SOMETHING N55 never had to do. Oh wait, do you think the S55 WAS THE SAME as the N55 even though based on similar architecture? keep thinking that
As far as I'm aware the only update is
1. A rockguard to protect the radiator
2. Improve fuel delivery system
3. Tweaks to be able and comply with EU standard which reduces the overall engine power.

The core engine is still the same.

The crankshaft barring issue that you mention all occur on manual something that not even an option anymore for the b58
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
b58

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST