F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BootMod3
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
lukeiswright
Luke Wright
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 6mt 328i

BootMod3

Hey guys, haven't been on the forum in a while and my CPO warranty has officially come to an end. I'm looking into getting a different tune (currently have a JB1) and it seems that BootMod3 is the best option. However, I'm confused on how it works vs the JB4 and the steps I need to take to get it installed on my car. Can someone help clarify? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

Bootmod 3 is an actual flash, to be simple, it reprograms the car to make more boost. Jb4 on the other plugs into sensors and FOOLS the car to make more power. Bootmod3 will have better control of fuel trims and air/fuel ratio compared to Jb4. That said I am a newbie at tuning and dont know how to explain it better than that. I have a JB4 on my car and it runs great, I also am looking to sell it (I have n20 ewg jb4), as im looking to trade my car in for a 440i.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

JB4 intercepts the sensors outputs and then manipulates them before sending revised values to the DME. As a result the DME adjusts its outputs to compensate. It also means the DME can sometimes see values that don't makes sense to it. Also some items like ignition timing can not be altered. boost and fuel pressure rail (allowing for a little extra fueling) can be but that's not taking the whole picture in.

Bootmod3 is actually a bootloader that allows the MEDV DME to be flashed over OBD2. That used to be the only way a tune could be loaded to the DME via OBD2. The other way was removing the DME, opening it and flashing directly. Similarly Bootmod3 was loaded to the DMEvia a bench flash using the boot pins. Once the DME was cracked and had Bootmod3 installed you were then free to upload tunes for your car, fuel type and any bolt ons you installed (ie downpipe, upgraded turbos etc) just by plugging your laptop or smart phone (and their agent device) into the obd2. It also means that adjustments can be made to the tune and new ones loaded over OBD2 when things change.

Now it seems you don't need to crack the DME and load Bootmod3 anymore, there is now a way to upload new Off The Shelf (OTS) or custom tunes over OBD2 without the need to crack it. See the latest threads on this on bimmerpost.

Either way with a proper tune, the DME gets actual sensor readings in real time and knows what to expect and what to do. The fuel, boost, ignition, Venos maps/tables can all be adjusted.

It's a lot safer and a lot more powerful. For example you can make a lot more power with ignition timing and better fueling without even increasing boost.

For N20 that's a big deal since it was designed to run efficiently (meaning lean) so throwing added boost and further leaning out the AF ration isn't a good idea. With a flash you can add a little boost, but more importantly fueling, venos and ignition timing and that results in a much better smoother more drivable outcome.

Just one other small thing I noticed changing from JB4 to my ACF Performance tune (loaded over bootmod3) was that the increases were evident at earlier Rpm's, while with JB4 they only came on once boost was at a positive value with rpm's in the 2800+ range.

Before I'd get some stutters and abnormalities when my engine transitioned from Normally aspirated to boost. Now I don't get any of that, just smooth power.
Appreciate 3
      12-15-2017, 02:29 AM   #4
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 M/T -13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
JB4 intercepts the sensors outputs and then manipulates them before sending revised values to the DME. As a result the DME adjusts its outputs to compensate. It also means the DME can sometimes see values that don't makes sense to it. Also some items like ignition timing can not be altered. boost and fuel pressure rail (allowing for a little extra fueling) can be but that's not taking the whole picture in.

Bootmod3 is actually a bootloader that allows the MEDV DME to be flashed over OBD2. That used to be the only way a tune could be loaded to the DME via OBD2. The other way was removing the DME, opening it and flashing directly. Similarly Bootmod3 was loaded to the DMEvia a bench flash using the boot pins. Once the DME was cracked and had Bootmod3 installed you were then free to upload tunes for your car, fuel type and any bolt ons you installed (ie downpipe, upgraded turbos etc) just by plugging your laptop or smart phone (and their agent device) into the obd2. It also means that adjustments can be made to the tune and new ones loaded over OBD2 when things change.

Now it seems you don't need to crack the DME and load Bootmod3 anymore, there is now a way to upload new Off The Shelf (OTS) or custom tunes over OBD2 without the need to crack it. See the latest threads on this on bimmerpost.

Either way with a proper tune, the DME gets actual sensor readings in real time and knows what to expect and what to do. The fuel, boost, ignition, Venos maps/tables can all be adjusted.

It's a lot safer and a lot more powerful. For example you can make a lot more power with ignition timing and better fueling without even increasing boost.

For N20 that's a big deal since it was designed to run efficiently (meaning lean) so throwing added boost and further leaning out the AF ration isn't a good idea. With a flash you can add a little boost, but more importantly fueling, venos and ignition timing and that results in a much better smoother more drivable outcome.

Just one other small thing I noticed changing from JB4 to my ACF Performance tune (loaded over bootmod3) was that the increases were evident at earlier Rpm's, while with JB4 they only came on once boost was at a positive value with rpm's in the 2800+ range.

Before I'd get some stutters and abnormalities when my engine transitioned from Normally aspirated to boost. Now I don't get any of that, just smooth power.
Great info, I cannot find the threads talking about flashing new tunes via OBD without unlocking DME. Can you link this?

I already have a JB4, but if it is easy I might switch.
What does a tune that is flashable with OBD cost?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

Does anyone know if there is a bootmod reflash for the n20 20i engine already?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiswright View Post
Hey guys, haven't been on the forum in a while and my CPO warranty has officially come to an end. I'm looking into getting a different tune (currently have a JB1) and it seems that BootMod3 is the best option. However, I'm confused on how it works vs the JB4 and the steps I need to take to get it installed on my car. Can someone help clarify? Thanks
Hello,
You need to remove your ECU and get it unlocked by a dealer.
Once that is done, you can upload BM3 maps on your car.

BM3 changes the ECU tables to make more power, its 100% software.
JB stage 1 is a hardware which alters signals on MAP and TMAP to trick the ECU into making more power

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
Does anyone know if there is a bootmod reflash for the n20 20i engine already?
Yes, I've had several flashes over bootmod3, my Tuner (Ricardo at ACF performance) has worked with me on a number of iterations (most recently my Stage 2 Turbo upgrade).

Once you are registered in Bootmod3 you can select from a number of approved tuners on the platform. It's really well setup.

That tuner will then take a copy of your stock readout and modify it according to your requirement. You then load it using the Bootmod3 platform. Super easy!

Apparently now you don't need to have the DME removed to have it flashed. It can now be done over OBD2.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

Thanks Stubok. I had emailed ptf in the past but never receive a reply.

Flash over obd2 is really helpful as I live on the other side of the globe.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
Thanks Stubok. I had emailed ptf in the past but never receive a reply.

Flash over obd2 is really helpful as I live on the other side of the globe.
Yup we are certainly not a priority for them. Which is interesting because I would have thought that the number of n20's outweighs the number of n55's and that a good number of n20 owners want a bump in performance.

I'm also sure a good number were scared off by the initial report of bad outcomes.

Now that the obd2 way forward has been mapped I'm sure you'll soon see many tuners offering n20 tunes for various setups.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #10
timmay77
Stupendous Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F13 M6 Comp pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hello,
Quote:

Apparently now you don't need to have the DME removed to have it flashed. It can now be done over OBD2.
So which is it? These posts where made an hour apart......

The "flash" tunes I am used to do not require removal of the ECU. A tuner sends you a file and you upload it to the ECU with special software. The ECU has a counter that only requires so many flashes. Each file uses 2 "counts" and if I remember correctly, the S62 had 62'ish counts. So once you max it out, your ECU is "locked".
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

Does anyone know any shop in Midwest that unlocks DME ?
      12-20-2017, 08:35 AM   #12
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hello,

BM3 changes the ECU tables to make more power, its 100% software.
JB stage 1 is a hardware which alters signals on MAP and TMAP to trick the ECU into making more power
Dealers only ones can unlock ECUs ?
      12-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
Dealers only ones can unlock ECUs ?
Yes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Not true!

There are several tools now available that can be used to unlock the DME and flash to it over OBD2. Magic Motorsports, Fieling etc

Guys search and read the other threads out there. Even Bootmod3 are saying that their expanded obd readout is coming. And that you could use other tools to unlock but then use their system to find a tuner, to store tunes and deliver them.

OBD unlock and bootmod3 http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1447621
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #15
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
Does anyone know any shop in Midwest that unlocks DME ?
See the list here.

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...nt/view/463750
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you sir !