F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > b58 engine replacement recall
proTUNING Freaks

05-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #199
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc888 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
Hmm. That's a little crazy if true. I have been hearing an odd whining/winding noise from the engine. It's been driving me crazy. It sorta sounds like bad alternator bearings judging by clips of that issue I've listened to but could potentially be bad bearings from some other location. Of course when I took it in they said they don't hear anything abnormal. I've been waiting until I switch out my winter wheels/tires to address it again since it otherwise drives ok with no warning indicators. I now obviously wonder if it's related to whatever this recall is about.
I'm sorry to revive an old thread but were you ever able to get BMW to figure out what was happening to your engine? I have a very, very similar issue with my 340ix and even my dealer initially thought it was a bad alternator and check it out and said that wasn't the issue. Thank you!
I've heard a sound from time to time on 1-2 upshift. Just a light squeak. Might be the belt slipping so maybe check the tensioner. The ZF transmission shifts pretty quick so that could be the cause might be within normal tolerance. For me it's not loud and it's infrequent enough that it's difficult to reproduce consistently. I can go months without it happening.
Appreciate 0