F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AWE Midpipe + Remus Axle Back 340i xdrive anyone?
ARMA SPEED

09-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

AWE Midpipe + Remus Axle Back 340i xdrive anyone?

Wanted to see if anyone has bolted up the AWE Midpipe and Remus Axleback on their 340 or 440. I know the AWE Midpipe install has you cutting 2.25 inches up from the dimple on the stock pipe where the Remus Axleback has you cutting right at the dimple if installed individually. Hoping that these two will be able to just clamp on just fine given the install flexibility of the Remus Axleback.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

In case anyone is wondering what this combo sounds like. I have a BM3 Stage 1 tune with gts startup roar on and burbles set to ots.

Exhaust bolts up just fine. Took me a bit to get it adjusted correctly since I did it on a couple wheel blocks. There is a short slip sleeve that comes with the midpipe that goes over the ends of the midpipe and stock exhaust that you will need to use. You still slip one end over the AWE Midpipe and then you will slip the Remus axleback over it. The Remus is too wide otherwise over the AWE Midpipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnX39yxt1lM
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leew102 View Post
In case anyone is wondering what this combo sounds like. I have a BM3 Stage 1 tune with gts startup roar on and burbles set to ots.

Exhaust bolts up just fine. Took me a bit to get it adjusted correctly since I did it on a couple wheel blocks. There is a short slip sleeve that comes with the midpipe that goes over the ends of the midpipe and stock exhaust that you will need to use. You still slip one end over the AWE Midpipe and then you will slip the Remus axleback over it. The Remus is too wide otherwise over the AWE Midpipe.

wow this sounds awesome!
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
wow this sounds awesome!
Thanks! It's kinda crazy that I do get a lot more love for this exhaust than I used to for my B8 Audi RS5 with a Remus Catback Exhaust and that car sounded truly exotic with the exhaust. Must just be the affinity for the burbles and pops.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #6
BeamerBoi95
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Wow that sounds awesome. Interested in doing this combo myself. Any drone at all? Do you find the combo loud enough at mid to high rpm?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:24 PM   #7
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoi95 View Post
Quote:

Wow that sounds awesome. Interested in doing this combo myself. Any drone at all? Do you find the combo loud enough at mid to high rpm?
There isn't any drone in comfort, but in sport and sport+ there is an rpm range like 2100-2800 where you would get a low rumble but wasn't anything bad at all and if you had music on wouldn't even notice. There is a good bit more of noise with it and when you get on it it's certainly louder than stock. I did turn of the ASD in BimmerCode so it quiets the cabin down a lot.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2021, 10:13 AM   #8
hn500001
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 340i

why not the remus midpipe (with the axleback from remus)?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hn500001 View Post
why not the remus midpipe (with the axleback from remus)?
At the time I ordered it, the Remus mid pipe was back ordered for a few months, but I was able to find the awe midpipe in stock. I think the Remus mid pipe has 2 small resonators too and I wanted a completely non res. I did eventually go with a CTS Catted dp too and have been really happy with the sound.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #10
BeamerBoi95
Rep

Quote:
At the time I ordered it, the Remus mid pipe was back ordered for a few months, but I was able to find the awe midpipe in stock. I think the Remus mid pipe has 2 small resonators too and I wanted a completely non res. I did eventually go with a CTS Catted dp too and have been really happy with the sound.
Hey man, ended up doing the same combo of Remus + Awe midpipe. Sounds great but now looking for a little more volume and deepness. Would you mind expanding on how it sounds with the CTS catted dp?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoi95 View Post
Quote:
Hey man, ended up doing the same combo of Remus + Awe midpipe. Sounds great but now looking for a little more volume and deepness. Would you mind expanding on how it sounds with the CTS catted dp?
Hmm honestly been so happy with it, that I also kinda forgot how just the mid pipe and exhaust sounded. But the high flow downpipe definitely adds quite a bit of noise, probably 1.5-2x the volume. Hard to really judge though because I haven't heard it from outside the car. Will say, the DP definitely added the throatiness I was looking for. I can try getting a clip of the exhaust revving with the DP.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a quick video with the DP. I don't think that it really picks up the change in volume of the exhaust, but does give an idea on the sound note. Will try getting some better vids and some on road shots at some point.

Last edited by leew102; 07-11-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 11:41 PM   #13
Jay5k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #14
BeamerBoi95
Rep

Quote:
Here is a quick video with the DP. I don't think that it really picks up the change in volume of the exhaust, but does give an idea on the sound note. Will try getting some better vids and some on road shots at some point.

Yep this is what I need. Really appreciate you uploading the video man. Would love to hear on road if you ever got some time but, definitely getting the catted DP

Last edited by BeamerBoi95; 07-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #15
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Had the dinan mid pipe with the Remus axle back, sounded great, but then adding the cg precision downpipe really stepped things up a notch. Only issue I found was drone, was debating actually getting the remus midpipe since it has one resonator. I dunno what catted downpipe anyone else has paired to it, or if they noticed much in the way of drone?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Had the dinan mid pipe with the Remus axle back, sounded great, but then adding the cg precision downpipe really stepped things up a notch. Only issue I found was drone, was debating actually getting the remus midpipe since it has one resonator. I dunno what catted downpipe anyone else has paired to it, or if they noticed much in the way of drone?
I only notice drone when in sport mode/valves open. But coming from a V8 RS5 that had a full exhaust with non resonated mid pipes, I've gotten used to some amount of drone in sport mode. The drone in comfort for me isn't really noticeable unless you get on the gas. At highway speeds and the slight throttle you might have to put down for a pass, doesn't really produce any drone and not noticeable with some music playing. I have the CTS catted dp. It's a 200 cell cat I think so should be the same as the cg right?

I did at one point also think about getting the Remus mid pipe but it's a little bit pricey. If I did add a resonator, I would probably just buy a resonator and have a shop weld it into one of the mid pipe pieces. But I really do enjoy the way it sounds now.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #17
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

A lot of the drone you might be hearing is the ASD coming from the speakers. I have a 5" catted DP with AWE catback (very aggressive) and disabling ASD removed most of the unwanted cruising sounds. The interior is pretty quiet on the highway and I'm at ~3k rpm at 80mph in my 6-speed.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
leew10283.00
      07-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #18
leew102
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
A lot of the drone you might be hearing is the ASD coming from the speakers. I have a 5" catted DP with AWE catback (very aggressive) and disabling ASD removed most of the unwanted cruising sounds. The interior is pretty quiet on the highway and I'm at ~3k rpm at 80mph in my 6-speed.
Totally forgot, I did disable ASD through BimmerCode. Even with full stock exhaust it sounded like drone with it on.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      07-20-2021, 06:48 PM   #19
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Putting a resonator in the mid pipe would fix your drone issue. That is the purpose for it on the OEM system.
Appreciate 0