F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Wagner hjs downpipe review
Extreme Powerhouse

01-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
jjhebigscreen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60

Wagner hjs downpipe review

Have a 340ix that I originally had the mppsk kit installed. For me it was a mistake even though most owners really like the kit. The exhaust had a lot of drone and the tone was not pleasant. I'm not into pops and burbles. The tune was way to mild for me. I almost felt if there was no more pull from the motor. I installed bootmod3 stage1 and the difference was immense. Far more pull from the car. No doubt you could feel the increased power. I reinstalled the stock exhaust and I was pretty happy for about a month. However, I noticed the motor had a big kick from the turbo at about 3k rpms. I did not care for the off boost feel under 3k revs so I installed the Wagner hjs 300 cell down pipe. I'm sensitive to noise and was worried it would be to loud. On start up its maybe 20% louder and in the cabin maybe 10% louder. I'm thrilled with the extra noise. Not to over the top. The extra noise sounds good. On start up I do hear a metallic ping if the window is open like others have reported. I kept the car stage 1 just so I could feel the difference the down pipe made. I'm very surprised. The car pulls much harder. Boost comes on quicker and I no longer have as dramatic of an off boost feel below 3k revs. When I get use to my current set up I'm sure I will go to stage 2 but for now I don't want to push the motor that hard as I'm super happy with the set up. I'm not sure if other down pipes would have made me just as happy. However, I can say the Wagner hjs down pipe is a fabulous addition even with out going to stage 2.
Appreciate 6
vcx81.50
G.Newt810.50
dmanb2b2123.00
340ix1743.00
kern4174446.50
      01-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
340ix17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 340i xdrive w/ MPPSK, BM3

Thanks for sharing, I went down a similar route to you. Had the MPPSK installed by the dealership but not blown away by it. Soon after went to BM3 stage 1 and was happy for a little bit but still tempted to add a little more power and grab an aftermarket downpipe.

Problem is I'm in MA and inspections are awful, so if I do go that route the Wagner HJS would be one of the few I'd be considering because it's catted.

I imagine you've had no concerns with CEL's or any other issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP, glad you like it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:44 AM   #4
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhebigscreen View Post
Have a 340ix that I originally had the mppsk kit installed. For me it was a mistake even though most owners really like the kit. The exhaust had a lot of drone and the tone was not pleasant. I'm not into pops and burbles. The tune was way to mild for me. I almost felt if there was no more pull from the motor. I installed bootmod3 stage1 and the difference was immense. Far more pull from the car. No doubt you could feel the increased power. I reinstalled the stock exhaust and I was pretty happy for about a month. However, I noticed the motor had a big kick from the turbo at about 3k rpms. I did not care for the off boost feel under 3k revs so I installed the Wagner hjs 300 cell down pipe. I'm sensitive to noise and was worried it would be to loud. On start up its maybe 20% louder and in the cabin maybe 10% louder. I'm thrilled with the extra noise. Not to over the top. The extra noise sounds good. On start up I do hear a metallic ping if the window is open like others have reported. I kept the car stage 1 just so I could feel the difference the down pipe made. I'm very surprised. The car pulls much harder. Boost comes on quicker and I no longer have as dramatic of an off boost feel below 3k revs. When I get use to my current set up I'm sure I will go to stage 2 but for now I don't want to push the motor that hard as I'm super happy with the set up. I'm not sure if other down pipes would have made me just as happy. However, I can say the Wagner hjs down pipe is a fabulous addition even with out going to stage 2.
Apparently Wagner is no longer offering the HJS 300 cell cat. Anyone know why?
Appreciate 0